Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   4X9x14 Magnaflow (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/4x9x14-magnaflow-6932.html)

DrkSpawn 02-25-2010 05:44 PM

4X9x14 Magnaflow

Has anyone ever used this size on a 3.7L? I found one this size that I could get pretty reasonable. What size do you guys think gives the best sound from Magnaflow?

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-25-2010 06:16 PM

Re: 4X9x14 Magnaflow

i have that size on my 4.7 and i love it!

DrkSpawn 02-25-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 159013)
i have that size on my 4.7 and i love it!

Cool bro, any vids? Just curious as to how it sounds.

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-25-2010 07:04 PM

i dont have any, but before i bought mine i looked on youtube and there are a few on there.

FlyinRyan 02-25-2010 07:26 PM

Thats gonna be LOUD. apples to oranges but Irfan runs a 4x22 on his and it's loud.

I'd recommend something like a 5x11x18 or 5x11x22.

06HemiLtd 02-25-2010 09:03 PM

i had a 5x8x18 magnaflow on my 06 hemi and the sound was almost deafening at all speeds. i swapped it out for a 5x11x22 and it sounds great. i'm not sure how it would be on the 3.7L but i think the case needs to be wider than 8-9 inches.

DrkSpawn 02-26-2010 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepy4.7 (Post 159063)
Thats gonna be LOUD. apples to oranges but Irfan runs a 4x22 on his and it's loud.

I'd recommend something like a 5x11x18 or 5x11x22.

Yeah I heard Irfan's and it sounds good but it's a bit loud for my taste. :lol:

DrkSpawn 02-26-2010 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06HemiLtd (Post 159119)
i had a 5x8x18 magnaflow on my 06 hemi and the sound was almost deafening at all speeds. i swapped it out for a 5x11x22 and it sounds great. i'm not sure how it would be on the 3.7L but i think the case needs to be wider than 8-9 inches.

That's good to know cuz I was leaning toward the 5x8x18. :D

FlyinRyan 02-26-2010 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06HemiLtd (Post 159119)

I was having a very similiar conversation with WSP Jeep the other day. I talked with a Magnaflow tech/representative via E-mail regarding a specific way to anticipate or predict resonance, they told me that if you're worried about drone in-cabin, look at the width of the case. the length of the case will more affect the tone or the overall volume, but the width apparently has the biggest impact on resonance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrkSpawn (Post 159326)
Yeah I heard Irfan's and it sounds good but it's a bit loud for my taste. :lol:

I've heard his setup in person ( I was actually the one to spec it out for him- in retrospect I should have taken the above conversation into consideration and recommend at least a 5x22) and yes, it is loud. I havent ridden in it so I can't say how bad it is inside. Irfan seems happy with it, so...

I run a 4x14, the smallest 3" in/out muffler Magnaflow makes, so I can't really talk much. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrkSpawn (Post 159328)
That's good to know cuz I was leaning toward the 5x8x18. :D

While I don't dispute what 06HemiLtd is saying, it's important to know this:

The same muffler on two different vehicles can provide two DRASTICALLY different results. They are the same muffler, thus they are made the same, so how could they be different?

Well, the answer is because it's more than just the muffler dimensions and design that play a role in overall sound, and more importantly, the resonance we are all trying to avoid. The following can all inhibit or alleviate resonance:

• Muffler dimensions
  • Muffler designs
  • Muffler location
  • Tailpipe outlet location (i.e. out the side, out the back, turndown-style, etc)
  • Exhaust hanger setup
  • Catalytic converters (or lack of
  • Engine
  • Tip (some have baffles/resonators built into them)
I emphasize this because I too have run the Mag 5x8x18, and while I did have some resonance issues at part-throttle driving, it certainly was not "deafening". It may be a terrible choice on a 5.7 WK, but the point I'm making is that there may be more than one issue than just the muffler itself. And let's face it, the 3.7 doesn't make the same noises (or as many of them) as the 5.7, so it may be a non-issue.

Don't forget....it's all RELATIVE!!! :D

DrkSpawn 02-26-2010 02:32 AM

I was thinking about all this as well and was wondering if the different engine sizes would quiet it down some. I was looking online for the 5x11x18 but could not find a part number for it. I saw TimmyB's vid of his setup before he went to the SRT8 one and it was more of the sound I was looking for. Fairly quiet but gives good sound when you get on it. I guess my research will continue. :)

FlyinRyan 02-26-2010 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrkSpawn (Post 159345)
I was thinking about all this as well and was wondering if the different engine sizes would quiet it down some. I was looking online for the 5x11x18 but could not find a part number for it. I saw TimmyB's vid of his setup before he went to the SRT8 one and it was more of the sound I was looking for. Fairly quiet but gives good sound when you get on it. I guess my research will continue. :)

perhaps, it has to do more however with the pulses being sent from the motor. The 4.7s and 5.7s in particular seem to be very resonance-prone. You can ask most of the NYC crew what mine sounds like from the outside, but it really doesn't drone. Its just loud as hell, LOL.

Your results may vary. :D

05quadratrac 02-26-2010 05:06 AM

I bought the 5x8x18 off Air-Ram, I personally don't know him or ever talk to him other than when I got my intake and exhaust so this isnt a plug for his business but he had the best prices on Magnaflows that I seen, I went with the 5x8x18 and it sounds great on my 4.7, it has a nice low sound at cruising but it roars when I get on it, it gives a nice "muscle car" sound which isn't real lopey like some of the trucks you hear with them though im guessing thats due more to the cam? I'm really happy with it, if you want something thats deafining at all speeds i'd go smaller but if you want something with a nice low rumble cruising and a roar when you get on the gas it's a good muffler for that. It's my favorite mod so far but my mpg is hurting because im always getting on the gas and playing around with it now especially with autostick. =D If I could go it again I would have went with 3in pipes and the same muffler and headers but I dont think they make them for us 3.7 and 4.7 guys. The only drone I get is at about 2,000rpm and its not bad, it doesnt bother me at all and I listen to the radio plus I have an 05 which only has the muffler and no resonator butthen again Im the guy who goes to muscle car shows late just so I can hear them start up and drive away, I love loud haha.