Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wheels and Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f180/)
-   -   A nail is close to sidewall, repair? replace? or just let it be? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f180/a-nail-is-close-to-sidewall-repair-replace-or-just-let-it-be-69324.html)

gc2014 12-17-2013 12:29 PM

A nail is close to sidewall, repair? replace? or just let it be?

1 Attachment(s)
Found a nail is close to the rear tire sidewall on my 9k new GC (see pic). The tire pressure is normal so far. Is it repairable? or should I have to replace it? any advice? thanks in advance.

Jeepster910 12-17-2013 12:41 PM

Re: A nail is close to sidewall, repair? replace? or just let it be?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc2014 (Post 946923)
Found a nail is close to the rear tire sidewall on my 9k new GC (see pic). The tire pressure is normal so far. Is it repairable? or should I have to replace it? any advice? thanks in advance.

The way it looks I bet it is an easy fix. I have had several fixes like that over the years.
Don't take the nail out, but go directly to any tire place or even a Walmart / Sams Club can do it.

johngreen1234 12-17-2013 01:09 PM

With only 9k on the tire I would replace it. Tread is not too worn and a single new tire can rotate in just fine.

Do you really want to drive another 40k - 50k on a tire with a plug in it?

weck 12-17-2013 01:38 PM

I had a similar thing on my previous car with 9k on the tires. The right thing to do is have it professionally plugged and patched from the inside ... but unfortunately, the tire manufacturer's association has put out guidelines to all the tire shops that they should not repair if the puncture is in the area of the first row of tread blocks (the shoulder blocks). The rational is the repair must be in the "flat" part of the profile.

This is a particularly arbitrary guideline on high performance tires with especially wide shoulder blocks ... but I digress.

I could not find any of the chain shops that would patch it and I did not want to drop $200 plus on a tire, so I ended up plugging it myself and have had no issues, but that is a risk I chose to take.

You might have no choice but to replace it.

akimball 12-17-2013 04:23 PM

take it to a tire place and have them do an inside patch. my wife hit 2 nails just about in the same spot and the patches held up for the life of the tire.

gc2014 12-17-2013 05:07 PM

Thank you all. I drove to Discount Tire. They patched it from inside with free.

lstowell 12-17-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johngreen1234 (Post 946939)
With only 9k on the tire I would replace it. Tread is not too worn and a single new tire can rotate in just fine.

Do you really want to drive another 40k - 50k on a tire with a plug in it?

If done well, it doesn't hurt a thing. Have done well over 50K on repaired tire.

..... unless of course the replacement is free or at a very good price.

lstowell 12-17-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc2014 (Post 947002)

Most Discount/Americas Tire stores tend to be pretty careful about not doing anything stupid on a repair.

Plus, the local ones have told me they will fix any flat, free, whether or not the tire came from there. I don't know if they advertise this much, but I sure am willing to do it for them to friends/etc.

weck 12-18-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc2014 (Post 947002)

Awesome to hear. Mine was literally in the same place and the Firestone, Goodyear, and Tires Plus all said they would not repair because it was in the "shoulder area". Sounds like common sense prevailed for you!:thumbsup:

BSHARP2880 12-29-2013 09:18 AM

Its hard ti say. I worked for merchants tire for 6yrs and when I did a repair. If the nail/screw was in that position I would most likely repair it. But It also depends on where it came through on the inside of the tire which would determine whether or not it can be repaired.