Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/)
-   -   problem not fixed please help 05 jeep 5.7 gcl (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/problem-not-fixed-please-help-05-jeep-5-7-gcl-69378.html)

Inluvwitdagame1 12-18-2013 09:18 PM

problem not fixed please help 05 jeep 5.7 gcl

Ok if anyone is still following this post I am in dire need of help. Please I am trying to get home for Christmas to be with my daughter! It is a fifteen hour drive.I leave this Saturday 3am

I know I know ohhh he said it was fixed lol well it isn't....

Here is what has been replaced.
Rotors cut
calipers
brake pads
front rear differential mount bracket.
all on the front!!
But the noise on the drivers side front is still there.

When jacked up on stands on all 4.
checked u joint driveshaft all seems to be fine.

BUT CLANKING CLICKING CLUNKING STILL AT RANDOM EXIST

here is what I have found as of today.

when driving with foot on accelerator no noise!
when I lift my foot off the accelerator the noise comes....
it is at random so this is why I am baffled
sometimes when I turn there is clicking! sometimes not

sometimes when braking there is clunking, it is extra severe when below 40 mph and I let off the accelerator but sometimes it doesn't do it!.

Would you think it is......wondering if retaining clip that holds balls in cv joint is broken.. saw picture online of exploded view of cv joint where from the outside the cv joint looked good but they showed the round bracket that holds the bearings/balls in place ripped to shreds once apart

HELP!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!:slapfight:..

the sound seems to be coming from inside the rim not near the differential.
that's why I want to now what you all think.
please like I said I need this fixed because I have few $ and little time and I need thought ideas direction.

sanjuro77 12-19-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inluvwitdagame1 (Post 947604)
Ok if anyone is still following this post I am in dire need of help. Please I am trying to get home for Christmas to be with my daughter! It is a fifteen hour drive.I leave this Saturday 3am

I know I know ohhh he said it was fixed lol well it isn't....

Here is what has been replaced.
Rotors cut
calipers
brake pads
front rear differential mount bracket.
all on the front!!
But the noise on the drivers side front is still there.

When jacked up on stands on all 4.
checked u joint driveshaft all seems to be fine.

BUT CLANKING CLICKING CLUNKING STILL AT RANDOM EXIST

here is what I have found as of today.

when driving with foot on accelerator no noise!
when I lift my foot off the accelerator the noise comes....
it is at random so this is why I am baffled
sometimes when I turn there is clicking! sometimes not

sometimes when braking there is clunking, it is extra severe when below 40 mph and I let off the accelerator but sometimes it doesn't do it!.

Would you think it is......wondering if retaining clip that holds balls in cv joint is broken.. saw picture online of exploded view of cv joint where from the outside the cv joint looked good but they showed the round bracket that holds the bearings/balls in place ripped to shreds once apart

HELP!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!:slapfight:..

the sound seems to be coming from inside the rim not near the differential.
that's why I want to now what you all think.
please like I said I need this fixed because I have few $ and little time and I need thought ideas direction.

CV joints do tend to click on turns when they're going bad, probably not a bad idea to check your wheel bearings while you're in there.
Also if your ball joints are worn it can cause some weird noises, but in my opinion the clicking points to CV joints

robpp 12-19-2013 08:10 PM

Re: problem not fixed please help 05 jeep 5.7 gcl

3 front diff mounts good.

On a lift put in gear and see it 123Viola

Gamma505 12-22-2013 09:10 AM

Re: problem not fixed please help 05 jeep 5.7 gcl

You didn't mention the miles on your GC....I think you probably agree, as I think, that it is your outer CV joint. A SEARCH will give a couple of DIY posts on how to change out the whole half axle....not real hard or real easy. I have done a couple with first one taking 4 hours..my Jeep is in the non Rust Belt, prying inner side of axle from diff. was the most problematic part as was getting it to sit back in. The front bearings are pretty robust...a constant "roar" which gets worse over several weeks/months is more symptomatic of them failing

There is a pdf. of the 05 Workshop Manual on the site you can download..section 3-51 has everything about the CV joints. If you give me an email address I think I can send you the link to it.

Good luck