Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   How to Install PhillySRT's Lower Grille Badge (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/how-to-install-phillysrts-lower-grille-badge-69476.html)

RedRockSRT8 12-21-2013 06:54 PM

How to Install PhillySRT's Lower Grille Badge
 
1 Attachment(s)
I am creating this thread to ease some of the stress in regards to installing his lower grille badge. I am sorry I dont have pics while installing it but I have one of the final product.
First, in regard to the final location of the badge, it is placed as far to the driver's side of the open mesh of the grille. If you can notice, the mesh is filled in about 6 inches from each end of the grille. I chose not to drill any holes. Besides, the filled in mesh is closed off from the inside too so you cant even get the backing plate on to even secure the badge from behind if you drilled a hole for one of the posts.
Locate the forward collision sensor in the middle of the grille. There is an outer plastic bezel around it that just pops out easily. I'm amazed that it doesn't pop out on its own when hitting a rough bump in the road.
Next, there is another smaller plastic bezel that seats directly around that sensor. That pops out easily towards you too.
Now you are able to gain access behind the grille with your left hand by gently pulling it away with the fingers of your right hand positioned through the mesh just enough so you are able to gain access to the backside of the grille. If you have gorilla hands, you may have to ask someone with smaller hands to do this part.
The badge with the posts should already be placed through the grille at your preferred location. Carefully place the backing plate behind the grille and over the posts. Take a magnet pen and feed the lockwashers through the mesh into your hand that is already positioned behind the grille near the posts. Do the same with the nuts. Hand tighten the nuts on top of the lockwashers. I then used a ratchet wrench that I fed behind the grille and ratchetted the nuts on tighter with the boxed end of the wrench. Thats all there is to it.

Attachment 33418

SRTWIL 12-21-2013 07:19 PM

Thanks am give a go at it on Monday

phillysrt 12-21-2013 07:53 PM

Appreciate you doing this for me! Exactly how it's meant to be installed!

SRTgeek 12-21-2013 10:17 PM

Re: How to Install PhillySRT's Lower Grille Badge
 
I'm going to give it a go when my arrives as well! Thanks RedRock!

SRTWIL 12-24-2013 04:37 PM

Re: How to Install PhillySRT's Lower Grille Badge
 
4 Attachment(s)
RedRockSRT8.... You wasn't joking about the gorilla hands. Doing this was a struggle. I knew I had long fingers but very skinny hands and I could not do it 100%. Was only able to put the lockwashers and nut on the side close to the sensor. (Lost the others in the bumper).. I got it to stay in tight but once I get to go under the car I will redo it...

RedRockSRT8 12-24-2013 05:53 PM

Did you use one of those telescopic magnets to place the washers and nuts through the grille? I was able to pick them off off the magnet and place them over the studs. It makes a big difference. I had a hard time getting my hand past the sensor but once my hand got past it, I was able to reach all the way to the second post. I guess I just have small wrists. Good luck trying to get the lost washer and nut from underneath. I tried to access behind the grille from below and found it impossible without putting the jeep up on a rack.

SRTWIL 12-24-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRockSRT8 (Post 949883)
Did you use one of those telescopic magnets to place the washers and nuts through the grille? I was able to pick them off off the magnet and place them over the studs. It makes a big difference. I had a hard time getting my hand past the sensor but once my hand got past it, I was able to reach all the way to the second post. I guess I just have small wrists. Good luck trying to get the lost washer and nut from underneath. I tried to access behind the grille from below and found it impossible without putting the jeep up on a rack.

didn't use magnet couldn't find mine.. But I'll wait til I get my oil change n they remove the cover under the jeep n hopefully I'll be able to do it

Scottina06 12-24-2013 09:37 PM

Re: How to Install PhillySRT's Lower Grille Badge
 
this will be a perfect job for our wives! I know my hands/arms are too big...LOL

phillysrt 12-24-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTWIL (Post 949886)
didn't use magnet couldn't find mine.. But I'll wait til I get my oil change n they remove the cover under the jeep n hopefully I'll be able to do it

That's what I did. Made it so much easier. Waited till I needed an oil change

BigdoggyB 12-25-2013 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Glad my wife has small arms I would have never been able to get in on my 14. I was surprised on how good the quality is and how well it was packaged. My friends will probably make fun but they don't own a SRT so they don't understand.



Attachment 33535

SRTWIL 12-25-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigdoggyB (Post 950138)
Glad my wife has small arms I would have never been able to get in on my 14. I was surprised on how good the quality is and how well it was packaged. My friends will probably make fun but they don't own a SRT so they don't understand.

looks good


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community