Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   2014 Grand Cherokee leaking water (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2014-grand-cherokee-leaking-water-69542.html)

montemac 12-23-2013 01:37 PM

2014 Grand Cherokee leaking water

Our 2014 Grand Cherokee is leaking water. We already had it "fixed" once. Dealer said it was the sunroof drain tubes. They said that when they were installed, the were pinched /crimped. It has been one week and after a significant rain storm, it is leaking again in the same place.

Anyone else have a similar problem, if so, how was it resolved?

Thanks

TurboRush 12-23-2013 02:46 PM

Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee leaking water

Where exactly is the leaking come from? Front by sunroof or back? I've read it was a "relatively common" problem on 11's I think, only seen a few instances in the 14s.

montemac 12-23-2013 02:49 PM

Leak is coming from the front. When you open drivers door, you can see the water dripping down the front plastic thing that runs from the dash to the floor.

TurboRush 12-23-2013 02:57 PM

Sounds similar to earlier issues. Here's 2 old threads I found on the topic:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/roof-leak-16229.html
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/more-...ems-13637.html

mswlogo 12-23-2013 11:27 PM

My fix, literally was I had to order a Limited with no Sun Roof.

I was glad I did because I ended up with later model year build that had less issues. So it turned out to be blessing.

Even if installed correctly, drains clog over time. Pine needles, crude get in them. It rains pine needles around my house for a good month.

Sorry to rub in this nonsense. But it really ticks me off I couldn't get the advanced tech package unless I was forced to buy a pano sunroof that WILL eventually leak or creak or break. They all do, eventually.

Granted this a manufacturing QC issue but eventually water finds it's way in when you cut a gapping hole in the roof. Sooner or later. In this case it's just sooner.

Keep an eye on those drains, tracks, gaskets etc.

Good luck getting it fixed.

grubin 12-24-2013 05:54 AM

Sorry to say I had the same problems with my 2011 Patriot Although 5 different dealers did their best it was never resolved to the point I had to trade the car in for a Liberty withoot Sunroof Since then I have a 14 Grand and a 14 Cherokee with out one.
They did the same with the driains over and over replaced the gaskets twice. It would stop for awhile but not for long

While at a body shop a girl came in with a commander that they just repaired complaining about the same problem They cleaned the drains

I have had many other makes with this obtion but never a problem

I hope you have a master extended and be sure it is covered If not get one and be sure this is covered as long as you own the car

jacko15 12-24-2013 10:00 AM

This may not be your problem, but here's what happened to our Compass sunroof. After several years of ownership we developed a leak. Took it to dealer and they checked the drain tubes, and the tubes were clear. Their sunroof guy said that occasionally leaks are caused by the sunroof being slightly out of alignment. He said that can develop over time. He went through a realignment process and that cured our leak. It's been at least three years, and still solid.

badmo35 04-24-2014 06:24 PM

Just today my 2014 Cherokee was leaking/pouring water from the sunroof control panel, which also houses the interior lights. I thought this was wrong. Frustrating for sure. I have only had it for a month. I will be calling the service department tomorrow. This is my first Jeep and I loved it until now.

Signed....so disappointed.

dmcarfora 04-26-2014 02:31 PM

I brought my 4 month old Jeep Cherokee in this past week to be repaired. A significant amount of water accumulated under the spare tire. I was told that it was due to the seals around sunroof and doors. They fixed leak, however, last night it rained and unfortunately, I will need to bring it back again. If you have leak issues, would advise checking under your spare tire as that seems to be where all of the water ended up

ApacheDakota 04-26-2014 04:49 PM

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and just had a similar problem. My Jeep was leaking water onto the front passenger floor whenever it rained. Just took it in today. They said the drain hole was clogged with spray foam that they use for insulation. They said they cleared it out and sprayed it down with water and there was no leak. It's supposed to rain this week so, we shall see.

youmansjason01 04-26-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApacheDakota (Post 1012751)
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and just had a similar problem. My Jeep was leaking water onto the front passenger floor whenever it rained. Just took it in today. They said the drain hole was clogged with spray foam that they use for insulation. They said they cleared it out and sprayed it down with water and there was no leak. It's supposed to rain this week so, we shall see.

ApacheDakota - I have a 2014 (build date March 2013) that also leaks on the Passenger side.

When you say yours was leaking onto the passenger floor, was it on to top of the carpet, or underneath the carpet? Were you getting water in the battery compartment?

Mine is under the carpet and in the battery compartment.

Do you know which drain was clogged?

Let me know if yours is fixed. I hope mine will be fixed soon too! I'd love to be able to fix it myself and know that it is fixed right vs. going through the hassle of going through the dealer!

Jason

ApacheDakota 04-27-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

ApacheDakota - I have a 2014 (build date March 2013) that also leaks on the Passenger side.

When you say yours was leaking onto the passenger floor, was it on to top of the carpet, or underneath the carpet? Were you getting water in the battery compartment?

Mine is under the carpet and in the battery compartment.

Do you know which drain was clogged?

Let me know if yours is fixed. I hope mine will be fixed soon too! I'd love to be able to fix it myself and know that it is fixed right vs. going through the hassle of going through the dealer!

Jason

Jason,
It was underneath the passenger floor but soaking the carpet. Yes, my battery compartment was getting water in it too. I don't know which drain was clogged. They said, once they cleared the drain, they hosed the car down with water and there was no more water going into the car. It is supposed to rain a lot this week so I'll know soon if it was really fixed.