Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Cherokee-KL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/)
-   -   How has no one wanted to put HID's in there cherokee? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/how-has-no-one-wanted-to-put-hids-in-there-cherokee-69561.html)

Chase361 12-24-2013 01:03 PM

How has no one wanted to put HID's in there cherokee?

When I got my grand Cherokee there were how-to's everywhere, hell even youtube videos lol I cant find anyone even talking about it. I'm getting my two DDM kits in today guess ill be the first to try.

Chase361 12-24-2013 01:09 PM

Re: How has no one wanted to put HID's in there cherokee?

Has anyone tried to remove the little access door in the wheel well? I usually just take off the screws and peel/hold back the wheel well. It looks like jeep make it easy to get access to the headlight and fog light bulb. Are those clips in the door ones you have to cut off or are they reusable?

Herb4372 12-25-2013 07:34 AM

There's a plastic rivet on one side and a set screw on the other. Get a large flat head, or a quarter, turn 90 deg then pull it out. Rotate the flap out of the way.

What trim level do you have? My trailhawk has sealed screw on watertight covers for the lamps inside there. Wondering if the other trim levels have the same.

Chase361 12-25-2013 05:16 PM

Put em on but manual is all lies fog lights are not h11 there h16! so have to send back one set and get h16 bulbs. also ddm tuning error code eliminators don't work on our jeep have to get canbus eliminator for volt hid kits. Also if you take the three screws out of the wheel well the whole wheel well can move out of the way and u have all the tool you need :)

clew 12-26-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase361 (Post 949824)

until there is confirmation of a true oem retrofit solution, I will be leaving mine as is with the halogens. plug and play kits just arent worth it for anything more than looks.

ChadRizor 12-26-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clew (Post 950396)
until there is confirmation of a true oem retrofit solution, I will be leaving mine as is with the halogens. plug and play kits just arent worth it for anything more than looks.

2nd that, I would like to have HID's for my trailhawk but why possible void a warranty for a kit :thumbsup:

clew 12-26-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChadRizor (Post 950427)
2nd that, I would like to have HID's for my trailhawk but why possible void a warranty for a kit :thumbsup:

It shouldn't void your warranty.
I am waiting from a usability reason. Throwing a plug and play system into halogen projectors doesn't give you any better illumination compared to stock halogens (have done it in previous cars). All it does is give you the 4300k white light look (assuming you chose that temperature), which is all some people want, if thats the desired outcome then its a great addition. The added cost and hassle isnt worth it to me though without the benefit of the additional light output from a full HID system.

ChadRizor 12-26-2013 04:21 PM

I do like the look of HID's and am wanting them, but it has to be a legit conversion for it to be worth my time. Right now the current lights are not all that bad and are way better then my last suv.

clew 12-26-2013 04:24 PM

^ agree

Chase361 12-26-2013 11:31 PM

You guys are nuts lol there is no diff between reg halogen light and plug and play kits! ok well take a look at this and tell me there isn't a diff. Here is one with reg halogen fogs on.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/27/pa7e6ene.jpg

Chase361 12-26-2013 11:35 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/27/ega8yse9.jpg

clew 12-27-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase361 (Post 950595)
You guys are nuts lol there is no diff between reg halogen light and plug and play kits! ok well take a look at this and tell me there isn't a diff. Here is one with reg halogen fogs on.

Not sure what point you are trying to make with those pics, dont see much difference, nor are fogs the same as low beams.
I can assure you though after stock HID's in my TL, projector halogens in my Touareg that I converted to plug n play HID then went OEM HID, and projector halogens in my Accord Coupe that I converted to plug n play...I have some experience with this stuff. The only setups that were noticeably better were stock/OEM, the rest all put out the same usable light...just in a different color.