Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Valve tapping noise after new head install (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/valve-tapping-noise-after-new-head-install-69572.html)

WJster 12-25-2013 12:15 AM

Valve tapping noise after new head install

Hey all,

New member here....
Just installed a new cylinder head in my '02 4.0 WJ (from Clearwater).
It has a valve ticking noise...any suggestions?
Didn't have any of that with old head (so not a lifter....unless?)

(Of course these are hydraulic lifters so adjustments not needed..
I'm not an internal engine guy..usually just external bolt on stuff...so maybe I'm missing something.
Re-used pushrods and rockers...pushrods rolled pretty straight.)

WJster 12-25-2013 12:18 PM

Re: Valve tapping noise after new head install

bump... anybody??

Frango100 12-25-2013 12:42 PM

Could be air inside one or more lash adjusters. Could take an hour or more of idling to get rid of this air.

WJster 12-25-2013 03:10 PM

Thanks Frank...I did come across that possible scenario in another post...HOPEFULLY that's all it is and not a lifter/lash adjuster that got taxed by new valve assembly.

I'm going to aggressively bleed any air out of cooling system next..(just got engine reassembled last night)...and during/after that we'll see if that lifter quiets down.

Trav1s 12-25-2013 06:40 PM

What weight oil are you using?

WJster 12-25-2013 06:43 PM

5w30

WJster 12-25-2013 09:17 PM

I pulled valve cover off...everything still looks good...nothing tweeked or off-set.
Tomorrow I'm going to buy some "Marvel Mystery Oil" and pour it directly down onto the lash adjusters and let it soak for a bit in case one's just sticking a bit.
Had I known the lash adjusters were so easy to replace I would've while I had the head off...doh!:banghead:

Man..this is killing me....after all this work tearing apart and putting back the engine/exhaust..etc and now this!...with a brand new head and valve train no less..

Frango100 12-26-2013 10:05 AM

I think that you will be good after some extended idling, its most probably just air in the lash adjusters.

WJster 12-26-2013 05:58 PM

Okay....first off..I'm not a believer in snake oil...but read a lot online about how this stuff REALLY works on sticking lifters...(MMO)

So I poured some Marvel Mystery Oil directly down the pushrod valleys which of course go straight to the lifters/hydraulic lash adjusters .....let it soak on them (although only one was making noise) for a few hours while I went to job....came back..started it up....TICKING GONE! ...well at least for a couple minutes...and then slowly came back BUT NOT NEARLY AS BAD...VERY MUTED. :thumbsup: (Before ticking was immediate at startup and continuous.) So now I'm going to drain a quart of oil and dump the rest (majority) of the MMO into the oil.
Will post back results in day or two...sooner if more dramatic!

hoffmanestates 12-29-2013 08:53 PM

hows progress? mine is doing same but I have a 4.7 and driver side has a tick but only at a certain temp,oil psi, oil viscosity, and how old the oil is. its got me bonkers

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

WJster 12-29-2013 09:06 PM

Well....unfortunately it's more than just a sticking lifter...I'm assuming it's a failing one at this point...
Although not as loud as before adding the MMO ...it still creeps back.

Trav1s 12-30-2013 02:27 PM

Cracked piston?