Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   SRT and slush spray... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/srt-and-slush-spray-69590.html)

lillyjas 12-26-2013 10:22 AM

SRT and slush spray...

Maybe fellow SRT folks who live in the snowbelt can confirm or advise...

It seems like the SRT (even with narrower snow tires (255 blizzacks) kicks up more slush and salt and mess than any other SUV I've seen... Granted there are no mud guards (not sure I would put them on either...) available but with the nasty winter we are having my black SRT has been more white than black! :mad:

Also, seems to just spray a ton off the back end as well... My wife blames my driving (ok maybe some truth to that...) but I've never seen snow plastered 1/2 way up the door...

Thoughts...

bill_de 12-26-2013 10:32 AM

Re: SRT and slush spray...

Can't you put mud flaps on just for the winter?

Schleprock 12-26-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillyjas (Post 950322)
Maybe fellow SRT folks who live in the snowbelt can confirm or advise...

It seems like the SRT (even with narrower snow tires (255 blizzacks) kicks up more slush and salt and mess than any other SUV I've seen... Granted there are no mud guards (not sure I would put them on either...) available but with the nasty winter we are having my black SRT has been more white than black! :mad:

Also, seems to just spray a ton off the back end as well... My wife blames my driving (ok maybe some truth to that...) but I've never seen snow plastered 1/2 way up the door...

Thoughts...

Not sure I really understand the big deal here. I grew up near Buffalo, family still lives there. Winter time in the north sucks for car enthusiasts, it's either snowy and filthy, or salty and filthy. It's part of living up north. You clean it whenever you can. I barely even wash my 2 Jeeps in the winter here in MD.

My father, and myself once I turned 16, take extremely good care of our vehicles, but even in winter we don't wash them unless it's an occasional warm day. Maybe they'll get rinsed here and there at a wand-type car wash. There's no point, they're going to be filthy again in a day and the concept of cleaning them to get salt off to prevent rusting isn't that much incentive either. You can't dry the vehicles undercarriage and chassis off, so water + salt is just as bad or worse. Particularly if you take it home and park it in a warmer-than-outside-temp garage. Good thing though is, today's vehicles have much much better rust resistant metals than even 20-25 years ago.

lillyjas 12-26-2013 12:56 PM

I've not seen any splash guards or mudflaps for the SRT... if anyone knows of any - would appreciate the info - as I would consider them - at least for the fronts...

I agree, if you live north of the mason-dixon you deal with dirty cars in the winter, I get that... my point was when snow is caked up half-way up the door it seems like an oddity. :confused:

I have driven trailblazers, tahoes, jeep liberties, 3-series, and even a GTO all in the winter and dealt with it.. but have never seen slush higher than the bottom 1/4 up the door (yes you get salt spray... but I'm talking significant slush mid-way up the door....)

So the "big deal here" is more of a question... maybe everyone is experiencing it - I thought maybe the tires or being lowered or something was making mine worse... but if we are all in the same boat... then it is... what it is...

JohnS 12-26-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillyjas (Post 950364)
... then it is... what it is...

Yep!

I removed the factory clear stone chip guard material from the lower back corner of the rear doors. I replaced them with longer & wider strips of 3M invisible bra material to prevent stone, sand, ice, snow, salt, etc., thrown up by the front tires, from pitting the paint on the doors.

Fght On 12-26-2013 05:13 PM

Your'e not crazy. It's def bad, although I find the rear to be the worse I've ever seen. I've always had lifted trucks with tires that stick way outside the fenders so I"m used to the sides being covered, but I've never seen the rear caked the way it is. My ATAk tips, the tailgate handle, the rear camera (I can't even see out of - I have to wipe it every night or it's useless) are completely white, just layer on layer of salt and shit. I get my truck hand washed every few days in the winter as well and still no relief. Let's no forgot though, this winter is much worse than the past 2 we've seen.