Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Rear Brake Life? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/rear-brake-life-69594.html)

hammer1234 12-26-2013 11:35 AM

Rear Brake Life?

Just found out that our 2011 JGC with 54K miles needs rear brakes. Had a slight but mostly inaudible squeak that ended up being from the wear indicators scoring the rotors. :(

Front brakes are still fine.

Sure that real-life brake wear is all over the place but would this be a reasonable amount of mileage to get out of the rears? Also would we have saved a lot if we had somehow caught the wear in time or is replacing the rotors typical for most brake jobs nowadays? A bit frustrated as well because the dealer claims to do a complete check at each oil change and we had no indication of a problem 6K miles ago.

Also wondering if it's common for these vehicles to wear out rears before fronts. Had a similar situation with my other daily driver, a Volvo S40, rears lasted about 55K miles and the fronts are still OK at 70K (although I do have rotor issues on the fronts).

johngreen1234 12-26-2013 12:14 PM

Re: Rear Brake Life?

My understanding is that the traction control operates on the rear axle and therefore wears these out sooner than the front, which does most of the braking.

I have 55k miles on my '10 and plenty of life left, I'm told. Estimate is ~70k. This pisses me off because I can't wait to trade out the wobbly OEM rotors, but I am too cheap to do it before the need.

If my rears were done but my fronts had some life, I would swap out the pads and turn the rotors, buying a little time until I swapped in R1 or EBC rotors on all four.

Thanks for the heads up on the wear indicator, I'll check more often.

berk483 12-27-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johngreen1234 (Post 950358)
My understanding is that the traction control operates on the rear axle and therefore wears these out sooner than the front, which does most of the braking.

BTC - Brake Traction Control works on both the front and rear axles. The only thing that is different is if you get QDII which would also incorporate an ELSD on the rear axle.

ColdCase 12-28-2013 04:21 PM

Most Jeep owners complain about rear pads wear. Liberties last maybe 35,000 miles. ESC and BTC contribute, but it is what it is. Those of us with QD see much less rear pad wear, which suggest the rear BCT is taking its toll.

nek121328 12-28-2013 04:27 PM

50,000 miles sounds like a good time to check the e-brakes and lube the adjusters as well as clean up things for the next time they're used. Otherwise, the e-brakes will freeze tight when used and won't release. I'll have mine done at 52,000 for piece of mind.