Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   My Superchips Review (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/my-superchips-review-69643.html)

docster 12-27-2013 03:39 PM

My Superchips Review

Ok, heres the skinny on the Jeep Flashpaq 3870 for the 4.7 WJ.
I filled up with 93 last 2 fill ups (we dont have 91 here, so thats what it gets).
Plugged tuner into computer to update, 20 min later, it has newest version (Spark).
Ran base line testing.
Followed directions exactly and installed just the basic 91oct performance tune. 10 min later, new tune installed.
Impressions:
Not bad for a NA engine.
My GTECH measure 0-60 time average over 4 runs back and forth right before tune as 7.15 seconds with full fuel and spare and me, and a best of 7.12. (granted I do have an excellent running WJ right now). Following the Tune, I averaged 6.71, with a best of 6.69. So it brings a standard 4.7 to the HO mark, which makes sense since they claim 20hp gain.
Driveablitly is what impressed me. Smoother power delivery/idle, and better throttle response, and better shifting.
Now keep in mind, I bought this primarly for the ability to adjust speedo for tire size. The WJ is not a vehicle you should worry about MPG with, if you do, you bought the wrong vehicle, plain and simple. The tune is not super noticable in the seat of your pants, it might be there, but probably just placebo effect. Again, with premium gas its only 20hp, not much on a 4500lb suv.
As for the argument running premium, well the 87 tune only nets you about 6-7hp according to SC. So go for the 91. If you are worried about gas costs, think of it this way. If you fill up once per week and put the max 20 gallons, premium is 20 cents extra. So thats $4 per fill up, or 208 bucks a year, hardly a big deal.
As for the Gtech, its dead on. Matched perfectly with my old S4 at the drag strip, and has matched everything its been on at the drag strip within 1%. So the times and comparison are very accurate.
Overall, if you want a little extra oomph, and a smoother running vehicle, get it, plus it has some fun stuff to play with, and Kolak has good pricing on it.
After adjusting the tires, I set it 30.25 inch diameter for 30.6 inch tires and speedo is dead on with my GPS on my phone.

Gus9890 12-28-2013 11:46 AM

Re: My Superchips Review

Nice right up with great info!

hoffmanestates 12-29-2013 08:50 PM

does this offer expandibility to go and d.load tunes onto tuner?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

docster 12-30-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoffmanestates (Post 951847)
does this offer expandibility to go and d.load tunes onto tuner?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

No, its pre-set tunes only, with very minor user adjustablitly, such as tire size, rev limiter, timing and speed limiter.

Kaetone 07-24-2014 09:07 AM

How much would a system like this run? My car is running great but I feel like it's burning thru gas more.. Would like to get it atleast to where it was.. Same exact driving style and amount of city and highway and I'm getting an average of 10.9-10.1 from 12.4-11.7

People enter your life for 1 of 2 reasons.. Either to be a Blessing or a lesson.

hoffmanestates 07-24-2014 09:20 AM

Maybe tune up time

Trav1s 07-24-2014 04:45 PM

Tune-up including new plugs, fuel filter, and TPS.