Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   How to kill the engine... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/how-to-kill-the-engine-69689.html)

2014falcon 12-28-2013 03:27 PM

How to kill the engine...

should things go awry while underway?

All my other vehicles have had keys that could be turned off should the need arise. As far fetched as the circumstances might be, I'd like to know of some way of killing the engine in an emergency in case the car has a run away throttle or some other like event.

Is there a way?

schmieg 12-28-2013 03:32 PM

Re: How to kill the engine...

I've been thinking about that as well. Add to the equation that should there be such a failure, it is quite likely that the electronic transmission won't allow you to shift to neutral.

silvermax04 12-28-2013 04:02 PM

I was wondering the same, here is how.

"If the shift lever/shift selector is not in PARK, the
ENGINE START/STOP button must be held for two
seconds or three short presses in a row with the
vehicle speed above 5 mph (8 km/h) before the engine
will shut off."

schmieg 12-28-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvermax04 (Post 951303)
I was wondering the same, here is how.

"If the shift lever/shift selector is not in PARK, the
ENGINE START/STOP button must be held for two
seconds or three short presses in a row with the
vehicle speed above 5 mph (8 km/h) before the engine
will shut off."

Good information. Thanks.

ENFORCER 12-29-2013 07:17 AM

Just remember you will almost have no brakes or steering

The Evil Twin 12-29-2013 12:31 PM

Sure you will. Unless you kill the engine and put it in neutral. The power steering is belt driven and if the trans is still in "D" then the torque converter is still spinning as is the crank which drives the accessory belt. Since the engine is turning there is still vacuum. Things may be a little different than usual but it is not a complete loss.
Of course, if the car is rolling > 15mph then the wheel is pretty easy to turn. A number of cars run pumps that shut off power steering at speed anyway. Also, there is usually enough vacuum left in a system to provide for a decent stop even if the engine is not turning.

netboy 12-29-2013 01:14 PM

I just don't understand why would they limit the emergency kill to above 5mph. There's another thread in the "trouble" section that speaks of an electronic shifter refusing to go out of drive. In such an emergency, I would love to be able to bring the vehicle to a safe spot then kill the engine, instead I now have to kill it at 5mph and hope for the best while having a one shot at rolling it without a power plant to a safe spot.

jasecoop 12-29-2013 01:51 PM

My engine has shut itself off 3 times now while driving. What I did notice was that the trans automatically went to neutral, then once stopped automatically to park (pain in the ass when it won't start again and needs towing).

jacko15 12-29-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Evil Twin (Post 951645)
The power steering is belt driven...

Isn't the power steering electro-hydraulic in the 3.6 GC?

The Evil Twin 12-29-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasecoop (Post 951679)
My engine has shut itself off 3 times now while driving. What I did notice was that the trans automatically went to neutral, then once stopped automatically to park (pain in the ass when it won't start again and needs towing).

The '14 must be different in that respect. Mine does not. As a side note, if your vehicle has shut down while you are driving 3 times you need to drop it off at the dealer and leave it there till it doesn't any more. That's some scary stuff!
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 951843)
Isn't the power steering electro-hydraulic in the 3.6 GC?

The OP has the 5.7, which is what I was referring to. Even so, until you are under 10mph the wheel is easy to turn. Even down to a walking speed it is. I do it often as I just let the GC roll out of the garage if I am working on something. No sense in starting the engine for 60 seconds.

jasecoop 12-29-2013 10:01 PM

It's back at the dealer for the second time. First time they said it was the battery but didn't even make it home (yes was scary going down a steep hill and bend when it shut off and 3 kids in the back). They are a little lucky as I'm away for 2.5 weeks so had a chance to fault find. They tell me there was a bad earth causing it and it's been rectified, fingers crossed. Owned for about 4 weeks and only been able to drive for 1

jasecoop 12-29-2013 10:11 PM

Also the 14 has a full electronic gear shift, not sure about the 13. To take out of park when stuck you have to use a manual release in the glove compartment