Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Synthetics in wk2 drivetrain (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/synthetics-in-wk2-drivetrain-69690.html)

CHADWICK 12-28-2013 03:28 PM

Synthetics in wk2 drivetrain

VEHICLE: 2012 WK2 Overland with limited slip rear axle.

I want to changeout all the drivetrain fluids (axles, transfer case, trans) to synthetic but I have a small problem or question. On the rear axle I had planned to change the gear oil and add friction modifier as required of a limited slip axle. When I went to the dealer to get the Mopar #68083381AA I found out that rather than purchasing 4 oz. of friction modifier, I was buying a whole quart with the modifier in it. It is a different part number than the standard gear oil. Thus, I can't change to a syn gear oil in the rear axle. I was told that Mopar used to sell the modifier seperately. Does anyone know what modifier is available that would meet OEM specs and allow me to change out to a syn gear oil in this axle? Or am I stuck with the Mopar oil due to warranty concerns? Thx-

2014falcon 12-28-2013 03:35 PM

Re: Synthetics in wk2 drivetrain

I used Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube in my Z06 race car and I'd get a small bottle of friction modifier at Auto Zone. That worked fine.

mswlogo 12-28-2013 03:39 PM

I never understood why these electronically controlled differentials still needed the friction modifiers. I hated that whole mess with the mechanically engaged differentials. I thought the whole point of an electronic diff was to do away with that mess.

Adding an abrasive to synthetic oil, yeah that makes a whole lot of sense.

If it does need friction modifiers, change the oil often and skip the synthetic. It turns to mud.

My old Audi had 2 manual electronic locking diffs and I don't think it needed friction modifiers.

You could probably use this stuff

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-80301.../dp/B000CPCBGE

WK2OverlandII 12-28-2013 04:08 PM

Here's the 4oz bottle part number it will mix with synthetic gear oil.

Jeep Dodge Limited Slip Additive Friction Modifier Lubricant Differential Mopar | eBay

JoeD 12-28-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 951289)
I never understood why these electronically controlled differentials still needed the friction modifiers. I hated that whole mess with the mechanically engaged differentials. I thought the whole point of an electronic diff was to do away with that mess.

Adding an abrasive to synthetic oil, yeah that makes a whole lot of sense.

If it does need friction modifiers, change the oil often and skip the synthetic. It turns to mud.

My old Audi had 2 manual electronic locking diffs and I don't think it needed friction modifiers.

You could probably use this stuff

Amazon.com: Red Line 80301 Limited Slip Friction Modifier - 4 oz.: Automotive

Clutch type limited slips need the friction modifier, mechanical or electronic doesn't matter.

mswlogo 12-28-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeD (Post 951338)
Clutch type limited slips need the friction modifier, mechanical or electronic doesn't matter.

Then why bother putting it in?

It was originally to stop "chatter" on clutch type.

The Evil Twin 12-29-2013 12:51 PM

Even the ELSD has clutches.
Check out my DIY thread http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/diy-2...nge-59891.html You will see I used Mopar Syn in the rear w/ mod added to it :D
The friction mod is PN: 04318060AB and is available.

CHADWICK 12-30-2013 01:37 AM

Thanks to all of you for the Mopar part #.

CHADWICK 01-05-2014 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WK2OverlandII (Post 951310)
Here's the 4oz bottle part number it will mix with synthetic gear oil.

Jeep Dodge Limited Slip Additive Friction Modifier Lubricant Differential Mopar | eBay

Another question relating to synthetics in the rear axle of my Quadra Drive WK2: Is the 4 oz. Mopar friction modifier (04318060AB) the same thing that is in their 1 qt product with the modifier already in the gear oil(#68083381AA)? I was told by the parts guy that he wouldn't "risk" it because of the aluminum construction of my diff. He implied that the 4 oz. friction modifier additive was for the iron rear ends. In a nutshell, I want to add the 4 oz. to synthetic gear oil but I don't want to risk doing something when I'm not sure about what the effect might be. Any Mopar mechanics out there?

FYI, the Amsoil reference chart refers to the 1 qt. product in the rear end with no mention of the 4 oz. friction modifier.

Bikemobile 01-06-2014 12:25 AM

Is the factory spec oil not synthetic? I thought synthetics were required for everything these days.

CHADWICK 01-06-2014 03:40 PM

There is no mention anywhere I can find that this particular Mopar lube is a syn product.

Hercules 01-07-2014 12:44 AM

I thought Chrysler went to 75/140 synthetic is all the rear ends a few years back. I know that was the fill if you had the factory tow package. Also what came in the 5.7 LX rear ends.
The Mopar 75/140 gear lube is synthetic.