Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2011+ Dodge Durango-WD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/)
-   -   Extended Warranty Opinions? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/extended-warranty-opinions-69726.html)

UncleGuy 12-29-2013 02:34 PM

Extended Warranty Opinions?

There are one or two other threads on this subject -- some quite old. If starting a new one is problematic... sorry! But I wanted current data.

eservicecontracts.com is mentioned in one of the longer threads -- but they appear to be out of business. At least, the website is no longer valid. And websites are so inexpensive these days, that alarms me.

Here's what my Dealer quoted yesterday -- for a good laugh! :lol:
I just took possession of my 2014 Durango Citadel and was offered these prices.

All from Fidelity Warranty Services -- and finding any "good" Reviews on them was -- how should I say this -- unsuccessful; and, yes, I'm being facetious!
All include $100 Deductibles for the main Vehicle Protection Plan part.
Preferred Plan (highest level of protection): $5,545.26
Value Plan: $4,994.26
Basic Plan: $4,264.26
Economy Plan: $3,423.26

The funny part is the Finance Officer doesn't give you these numbers. He gives you the total transaction number "Out the Door" selling price of the car, with taxes, fees, etc. -- and these Plans tacked on. He does this so you can't easily see the true cost of each variation of the Extended Warranty.

And he follows the pitch immediately with the statement: "If these prices alarm you, understand that it's the end of the month and I can probably do better." Or, in other words, "I'm hoping you're stupid enough to buy these -- but just in case you aren't, let's talk!" :lol:

Also keep in mind that the term "Extended Warranty" is misleading. These are really "Service Contracts".

So, as I've been doing my research and reading everything from Consumer Reports to the BBB Study from years ago, as well as JD Powers, etc. -- I've decided a Service Contract is not for me.

When so many companies -- including the Dealer, where I just spent nearly $50,000 -- are trying so hard to screw me, searching for a company that simply "screws me less" seems, somehow, sadomasochistic. No? :cool:

mcfarl58 12-29-2013 08:55 PM

agree. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why people buy them. It's a waste of money. Just like those protection plans for best buy electronics. It's simply another way for the dealer to make money off of you. They profit a ton off of those things.

Take that $5000+ and put it in a savings account (a little >$150/month for 3 years to take you to the end of the factory warranty) and you've got more than enough to pay for any repairs.

And at the end of the day, all it does is add to your loan amount, meaning that you quickly find yourself even more upsidedown on the loan amount making it harder to pay off the loan or get out from under it if you need to in the event of financial difficulties or accident.

The Evil Twin 12-29-2013 09:46 PM

Re: Extended Warranty Opinions?

Not sure why a Dodge would be so much different from a Jeep. Most threads over there indicate folks are paying 1/3 those prices for MOPAR contracts. I figured that mine will be a 10 year vehicle at least (wife has a 7 year old car and the kid will be driving soon :( ) so I opted for the Maxcare at $1773 last year.
To each their own, but see what they do on Dodge
Dodge Warranty | Dodge Extended Warranty Low Price Guarantee

Bluesurf 12-29-2013 10:04 PM

I walked into the dealer in Houston on 12/24 at 10am & left at 3pm driving home in a 2014 G.C. Summit and got a great discount!.
With all the electronics and air suspension etc. I felt more comfortable getting an extended warranty from Chrysler.
I purchased it on line on 12/25 in the morning. I bought The Max Lifetime Coverage for $2180.
Here is the string. It should be a big help in your decision.

CHRYSLER SERVICE CONTRACTS: Extended Warranties from Chrysler. SAVE 60%! Quick Quotes. Buy Online.
Since its out of state for me, I paid no sales tax. Down the road its good insurance, For example..the air suspension could cost you thousands to fix/replace.
Good luck!
Lou

UncleGuy 12-29-2013 10:46 PM

I was being facetious in my original posting.
Of course the quotes I got were outlandish. No idiot would pay them. I was never considering this Dealer's offer.

But I'm still a little baffled about the interest in Extended Warranties or Service Contracts. Every Consumer Protection Group that has studied these say they are a monumental ripoff. I was using the quotes given to me to underscore that point.

I forgot that people who bought them might be bothered by my point of view. I bought two on the last two cars I've had after bending to pressure tactics at the 11th hour of the negotiations -- a 2004 PT Cruiser and a 2008 Honda Ridgeline. But, based on those years between purchases, I guess I don't plan on keeping my vehicles long enough where these might matter -- only 4 years on one, and 5 years on the latest. The car before the 2004 PT was a 2001 PT Cruiser.

I just can't find any reported evidence or studies that show the bulk of these Service Contracts are ever used. The loopholes are enormous. The money involved in denied claims is incredible. You would think the companies would be declaring how many billions of dollars they saved their customers -- my guess is, they don't because they can't show any evidence that it's true.

The complaints at BBB were so gigantic several years back that they took the unprecedented step of releasing their own study to warn the public against them. And I don't think the BBB is all that important an agency because they pressure Merchants to join them. The main defense against that study is that the Sellers of the Warranties now crow about the fact that they do not push them with the phrase "Extended Warranty" (creating a false impression to the Buyer) -- they think the title "Service Contract" somehow exonerates past abuses.

I just don't recall any friends, work associates, family members, nor myself, reporting such major catastrophes with our cars over the past 15 or even 20 years. I remember an old Andy Rooney segment where he replaced his old typewriter with a brand new electronic data processor. He was stunned when the salesman immediately suggested he buy a Warranty on such an expensive machine. I think he wondered why the salesman first told him what a fantastic unit it was -- only to immediately warn him about how it might fail.

But the main intent of my posting was not so much to discourage everyone. Just to give pause for thought while showing a typical Dealer Quote that was so ludicrous as to be laughable. I must be the only one that sees the humor in it. :o

There is a very valid point in understanding a simple truth: If you think such contracts are important, that, alone, makes them important.

bill_de 12-29-2013 11:12 PM

I bought one for the first time in my life, but only a 5 year. Although it's been a long time since I kept a vehicle that long, the Jeep seems to be a keeper as far as features and comfort.

I figured one problem with quadra-lift after the 3 year warranty was up would make it worth while. Plus the fact that Jeep doesn't automatically offer loaners, which I had gotten used to.

It was only around $700 on the internet for the Max Care.

---

The Evil Twin 01-02-2014 09:36 AM

Uncle, I wasn't bothered a bit. Hope it didn't come off as such. I thought you were looking for one. To each their own indeed (although not at the prices you were quoted!) I know the chance of me having a catastrophic failure is slim, but it is the peace of mind I paid for. I drive the snot out of things- towing, idling a lot, stop & go so knowing that, as long as I own it, I will not have to pay any more than $100 per incident.
However, there is no chance in the fiery depths of Hades that I would have forked out $4000!

UncleGuy 01-02-2014 09:43 AM

I may still be interested, after talking with some family members this past weekend. I will follow the leads here and get some pricing from other sources. If I keep this 6 or 7 years it might be worth it.

MoCo 01-02-2014 10:15 AM

I bought one for the first time ever (for way less than that, and a mopar warranty).

I just got rid of my much-beloved 2010 xterra offroad in favor of a Limited. Half of the impetus for the new car was the ridiculous beating I was taking on gas mileage, the rest was my phantom (and apparently unfixable) alignment problem AND the onset of some cold-temp shifting problems. I was out of warranty, and really not interested in potentially putting that much money into the truck... so I replaced it. Which is basically what I do once a car is out of warranty. So since I'm keeping this one for much longer, the peace of mind is worth it.

And, oh, I've been stalking you guys for a while, thank you for all the help figuring out what I wanted to buy. I knew far more about the truck and the options than the salesperson did. :)

UncleGuy 01-02-2014 10:43 AM

Learning in these Forums is very beneficial to me. It's a practice I started many years ago.

davewg 01-02-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleGuy (Post 951699)
There are one or two other threads on this subject -- some quite old. If starting a new one is problematic... sorry! But I wanted current data.

eservicecontracts.com is mentioned in one of the longer threads -- but they appear to be out of business. At least, the website is no longer valid. And websites are so inexpensive these days, that alarms me.

Here's what my Dealer quoted yesterday -- for a good laugh! :lol:
I just took possession of my 2014 Durango Citadel and was offered these prices.

All from Fidelity Warranty Services -- and finding any "good" Reviews on them was -- how should I say this -- unsuccessful; and, yes, I'm being facetious!
All include $100 Deductibles for the main Vehicle Protection Plan part.
Preferred Plan (highest level of protection): $5,545.26
Value Plan: $4,994.26
Basic Plan: $4,264.26
Economy Plan: $3,423.26

The funny part is the Finance Officer doesn't give you these numbers. He gives you the total transaction number "Out the Door" selling price of the car, with taxes, fees, etc. -- and these Plans tacked on. He does this so you can't easily see the true cost of each variation of the Extended Warranty.

And he follows the pitch immediately with the statement: "If these prices alarm you, understand that it's the end of the month and I can probably do better." Or, in other words, "I'm hoping you're stupid enough to buy these -- but just in case you aren't, let's talk!" :lol:

Also keep in mind that the term "Extended Warranty" is misleading. These are really "Service Contracts".

So, as I've been doing my research and reading everything from Consumer Reports to the BBB Study from years ago, as well as JD Powers, etc. -- I've decided a Service Contract is not for me.

When so many companies -- including the Dealer, where I just spent nearly $50,000 -- are trying so hard to screw me, searching for a company that simply "screws me less" seems, somehow, sadomasochistic. No? :cool:

I wouldn't touch the Fidelity Warranty Services with a 10 foot pole. The MOPAR coverage is equal or better for less $ if you shop around (I paid ~$2100 for lifetime coverage at $100 deductible). Since its a factory warranty, no games to play at any dealership.

Andoskyy 01-02-2014 11:25 AM

I just purchased an extended warranty for the first time ever. I went with Zeigler and paid $2,100 for an 8 year/120k Max Care warranty.

Seeing I bought my jeep in April and already have 18,500 miles on it, my 26k warranty will be up during 2014. $2k for peace of mind was well worth it in my opinion. If I didnt have Navigation and Air Suspension, I'd have never bought it. One major repair in either of those areas will pay for the warranty.

Vehicles are not what they used to be. So many sensors and computers that if any one of them goes, your warranty becomes cheaper. The way I look at it, if nothing goes wrong, I paid $2k for peace of mind. If I do need a repair that's $500 for example, then I only paid $1,500 for peace of mind.

Not to mention the 8/120 is transferable to a new owner, the lifetime is not. I keep my vehicles for 5-6 years and around 100k, so this made sense for me. Will be nice to sell it with 2-3 years and 20k miles left on a warranty.

5-6 years should get me to the point where Diesels are everywhere and prices for diesel fuel are equal to or lower than gasoline. 2020 Diesel Overland here I come! :D