Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   TB upgrade (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/tb-upgrade-6980.html)

Unholyskorn86 02-27-2010 03:36 AM

TB upgrade

I want to upgrade my throttle body on my 99 wj I6 4.0L to a bigger one. I was looking at

http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...24624.0.0.0.0?

and was wondering if this would fit my 4.0L I6 AND my air-raid tb spacer AND K&N cold air intake (57 series)

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-1526

without any problems?

What would I have to do to make it work and perform. Is the 68MM too big? Would I have to bore out my air-raid tb spacer or do anything to the K&N to get it to mount correctly?

Please help me with any information possible!

Again, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L I6

FlyinRyan 02-27-2010 12:35 PM

Re: TB upgrade

I am not speaking from experience....but basic math indicates that the 68 mm TB will be too big for your K&N intake to fit.

Furthermore, I know for fact that you'd have to port the intake manifold to get the most out of that TB. I dont recall how large the inlet on the manifold is, but it sure isn't 68mm. I'm guessing you would definitely have to enlarge the opening on that TB spacer (useless BTW) too.

I havent done any datalogging on a 4.0 but have heard alot of info that indicates that they run lean on a stock tune after minor modifications. Even if you ported the manifold, enlarged the spacer, and got an intake that would fit, you'd probably need to consider going to a custom tune.

In conclusion, it looks like a beautiful piece, but you'd need alot of work to run it and make it work properly. Those 68mm TBs are really meant for the stroker crowd.

Unholyskorn86 02-27-2010 03:24 PM

What about the 62mm version of the TB?

Chaoul1 02-27-2010 11:38 PM

Just get a Ported TB from Ryan(Sleep4.7)............

Unholyskorn86 02-28-2010 06:58 PM

Will I have to modify my TB spacer OR K&N?

Unholyskorn86 02-28-2010 07:08 PM

Chaoul1 02-28-2010 07:29 PM

No....It's Ported. Plus it's a lot cheaper than paying $400+. All you have to do it buy another TB from anywhere so Ryan can Port the original one and then once he's done and sends that back to you, you send the one you just bought to him as an extra.

Unholyskorn86 02-28-2010 08:00 PM

Well, I CAN send mine out no problem...My fiance has her Jeep if I needed to go somewhere lol. I'll have to check it out. Is it really a big difference?

Chaoul1 02-28-2010 08:33 PM

Ask him. PM him and see if he could something for you. I can't talk for him. I'm just recommending something for you.

FlyinRyan 03-01-2010 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unholyskorn86 (Post 160599)

The K&N will not need to be modified, because I'm just modifying a stock casting. So the outer diameter of the TB is not changing. The spacer will likely have to be enlarged. If you insist on keeping it, I can enlarge it for you for a very small fee, but really I would take it off the truck and use it as a paperweight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 160624)
No....It's Ported. Plus it's a lot cheaper than paying $400+. All you have to do it buy another TB from anywhere so Ryan can Port the original one and then once he's done and sends that back to you, you send the one you just bought to him as an extra.

Thanks for the recommendation Chaoul. I try not to shamelessly plug my stuff (unless it's with people I already have an established rapport with). Its alot easier to discuss it when someone else plugs it into the post for me :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Anyways, Unholyskorn I have a 4.0 core laying right here on my desk. I dont have anyone in the queue for it so if you need it , I can sell it in ported form to you. Whether you return your old stock TB to me or not is your call. I offer partial reimbursements for those that do.

Should you be interested in a TB from me, I recommend that you have me port a core I have here instead of you being out of a vehicle.... I am very busy right now and don't want you out of a ride any longer than you need to be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unholyskorn86 (Post 160652)
Well, I CAN send mine out no problem...My fiance has her Jeep if I needed to go somewhere lol. I'll have to check it out. Is it really a big difference?

PM Chuck. He has a 4.0 with a FRP TB (although his was a rough "prototype"), and he can tell you what he saw. From what he's told me, he did see a noticeable difference in throttle response.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 160675)
Ask him. PM him and see if he could something for you. I can't talk for him. I'm just recommending something for you.

One thing I will say is that there is no "free lunch" when it comes to hot-rodding. Don't expect the world from a single modification, but rather a combination of parts working harmoniously with one another.