Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Rear temp controls?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/rear-temp-controls-69810.html)

jakibe 12-31-2013 03:58 PM

Rear temp controls??

On 2014 JGC, how do you controls temp in rear seat? Rear seat has low/high choice of air but no temp controls. Front has split controls. If rear seat passenger is too hot or cold how do you take care of them?

I suspect rear seat is tied in to passenger zone because with passenger heat cranked up I got complaints of too hot from back seat.

Could not find any info on web on in manual! Thanks.

200sxr 01-12-2014 06:41 AM

Re: Rear temp controls??

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakibe (Post 952743)
On 2014 JGC, how do you controls temp in rear seat? Rear seat has low/high choice of air but no temp controls. Front has split controls. If rear seat passenger is too hot or cold how do you take care of them?

I suspect rear seat is tied in to passenger zone because with passenger heat cranked up I got complaints of too hot from back seat.

Could not find any info on web on in manual! Thanks.

I used the voice control the other day and said something along the line of "set temperature to 23" (I live in Aus so it is deg C :)) and the system said in return "setting rear temperature to 23". I was confused and said "set front temperature to 23" and the system announced to me "setting all temperature to 23".

So there may be a hidden control via the voice control however I did not get a chance to validate it since then and I am no where near my car at the moment (I am actually in the US as I type) however I will give it a test again when I get back to AU in a week or so.

Carson14 01-14-2014 01:06 AM

I too would like to know if this is possible?

jakibe 01-14-2014 07:01 AM

While I have not tried the voice controls yet, I experimented with changing both the driver side and the passenger side temperature and trying determine the effect in the back. It seemed to me that both front control changes affected the rear temperature. I don't think rear temp is controllable but is simply a mix of air temps between the two front settings. This is a disappointment for me. The first real disappointment I have had with the GC. We had full rear controls in our last SUV.

Carson14 01-16-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakibe (Post 959565)
While I have not tried the voice controls yet, I experimented with changing both the driver side and the passenger side temperature and trying determine the effect in the back. It seemed to me that both front control changes affected the rear temperature. I don't think rear temp is controllable but is simply a mix of air temps between the two front settings. This is a disappointment for me. The first real disappointment I have had with the GC. We had full rear controls in our last SUV.

I experimented with the voice command yesterday, it indeed will "set rear temperature to xx degrees" but it doesn't actually change the rear temperature.

jakibe 01-16-2014 04:04 PM

Weird that jeep would have that in the software and not do anything. Also weird that jeep does not give any way to control those vents.

fnkychkn 01-16-2014 04:38 PM

unlike other vehicles, WK grand cherokee does not use a seperate HVAC system for rear passengers. therefore, no seperate controls for rear temp or airflow.

from FSM:
Quote:

Two plastic rear distribution ducts and one center console duct attach to the rear of the air distribution housing and provide conditioned air to the rear seating positions.The airflow from the two rear distribution ducts cannot be adjusted. The two outlets located at the rear of the floor console can be individually adjusted to direct the flow of air, but the outlets on either side of the console cannot be adjusted and air flow is directed by fixed vanes.
the VR (voice recognition) menu and software me be a carryover from vehicles with seperate rear HVAC systems (Caravan) and may be an oversight which might be corrected by a future software update.