Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Cherokee-KL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/)
-   -   Terrain Select (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/terrain-select-69815.html)

ajshepherd 12-31-2013 06:39 PM

Terrain Select

Hello Jeep Garage. I have had my '14 Cherokee Sport 4x4 for a little over a week now. We got some snow overnight so this morning I looked down to turn my terrain select to "snow" and there was nothing lit up. Anyone have any tricks or tips for getting this to work? I'm hoping it's just something stupid but if not up to the dealership it goes for some work already!

ajshepherd 01-02-2014 03:16 PM

Re: Terrain Select

Just got an update from the dealer. Apparently the wrong wiring harness was installed at the factory that goes to the terrain select. My 4 wheel drive will supposedly kick in from the "AUTO" setting if needed. I'm glad it's something relatively simple but the auto setting is not really comforting at the moment. We have quite a bit of snow on the ground and we're expecting more. I'd feel better with it in 4 wheel drive not waiting on it to lose traction and switch into it.
I'm also hoping that the person who installed this incorrect part was the only part of the assembly process that was having an off day! I really do like this Jeep!

sfdxsm 01-03-2014 09:27 AM

That's a weird thing to mess up. Hopefully they fix it fast for you.

kennzz05 01-03-2014 09:46 AM

im pretty sure the amount of time from slippage to awd kicking in is minimal and you wont even be aware of it these vehicles were really designed to be left in the awd setting full time unless you really get into some very challenging conditions. but of course since the switch is there a guys gonna put it in snow mode, youre wife on the other hand would likely just get in and drive it and never know the difference

Texas Trailhawk 01-03-2014 12:25 PM

I hope they get it fixed for you.

Lynskeyiii 01-03-2014 12:58 PM

We had the same issue in our Cherokee. The selec-terrain knob was unresponsive, none of the selections had a light next to them, etc. Luckily it was a quick fix at the dealer, they had it diagnosed and fixed in about an hour. They told me that a pink connector to the knob needed replaced (wrong wiring harness sounds more legit to me). Everything works fine after the fix, turning the knob brings up the selec-terrain images on the instrument panel and changes the drive selections. My wife used the snow setting on her commute home last night in some nasty weather. I wanted to post to reassure other new Cherokee owners who discover this issue in their brand new Jeeps, that it is a minor issue and quick fix. We are loving our new Cherokee.

ajshepherd 01-03-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennzz05 (Post 953937)
im pretty sure the amount of time from slippage to awd kicking in is minimal and you wont even be aware of it these vehicles were really designed to be left in the awd setting full time unless you really get into some very challenging conditions. but of course since the switch is there a guys gonna put it in snow mode, youre wife on the other hand would likely just get in and drive it and never know the difference

Considering I am the wife, that's highly unlikely :D. I had some minor slipping in the snow yesterday, something that my Nissan Altima probably would have had a lot of trouble with, but the Jeep got right through it. I am very curious to see the difference between the auto and the "snow" settings once it is all working.

Texas Trailhawk 01-03-2014 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajshepherd (Post 954052)
Considering I am the wife, that's highly unlikely :D. I had some minor slipping in the snow yesterday, something that my Nissan Altima probably would have had a lot of trouble with, but the Jeep got right through it. I am very curious to see the difference between the auto and the "snow" settings once it is all working.

In jeepcherokeeclub.com, several users have reported significant differences between Auto & Snow and have posted videos also.

Q Tech 01-03-2014 06:49 PM

Indeed there is a very noticeable difference between Snow mode and auto mode.

sfdxsm 01-03-2014 07:32 PM

Yep I posted a video and write up on jeepcherokeeclub. You can tell the difference right away and in Auto you can feel the rear kick in. Snow mode all the way for any wet/slippery stuff.

Some people are reporting using Sand/Mud but it turns of traction control. I haven't tested that out. Snow mode worked GREAT. I went and played in some 5inch untouched snow in a parking lot today and it did just fine. Some rear end sliding but nothing unsettling.

kennzz05 01-04-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajshepherd (Post 954052)

Funny my last name is the same, and the crow I'm eating is not all that tasty LOL

ChadRizor 01-08-2014 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfdxsm (Post 954216)
Yep I posted a video and write up on jeepcherokeeclub. You can tell the difference right away and in Auto you can feel the rear kick in. Snow mode all the way for any wet/slippery stuff.

Some people are reporting using Sand/Mud but it turns of traction control. I haven't tested that out. Snow mode worked GREAT. I went and played in some 5inch untouched snow in a parking lot today and it did just fine. Some rear end sliding but nothing unsettling.

Link for video please, would like to see write up on the TH