Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   Keeping the fill ups cleaner!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/keeping-the-fill-ups-cleaner-69844.html)

NC4stroker 01-01-2014 05:13 PM

Keeping the fill ups cleaner!!

You can accomplish a drip-free fill up on the diesel, but if you try to "top off" the tank your gonna get some spill over. Also, you occasionally get a some drips or residue in the fill spout after removing the fuel nozzle.

So, I just take a paper towel, and tuck it in under the tank mouth, and, after fueling up, take a fresh towel and wipe out the filler mouth in front of the first flap.

Also, take a second to check out the fuel nozzle before cramming it into your tank. If it's dirty take a few paper towels and clean the end of the nozzle off. You can see the nozzle in the pic is not exactly pristine!

** I do keep some nitrile gloves in the diesel just in case the handle itself is gnarly!

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps3c5d3a98.jpg

PS, even though the GC is dirty, I had to throw in a pic of the Zaino reflection!!

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...psbab9b09d.jpg

bill_de 01-01-2014 05:22 PM

Re: Keeping the fill ups cleaner!!

Another reason not to buy a diesel. That is if what the OP does is typical. :)

---

NC4stroker 01-01-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 953136)
Another reason not to buy a diesel. That is if what the OP does is typical. :)

---

The diesel is awesome. Your gonna be pumping for a while anyway, using the paper towels, though certainly not necessary, doesn't take any longer, and it's a way for the OCD, CRD owners to "make a difference" in the tidiness of their fuel tank area. LOL

fun2drive 01-01-2014 07:40 PM

I don't think is 120K miles of filling my Super Duty up that I had a nozzle handle that was nasty and I always topped my SD up because it only has a 34 gallon tank and at 17.5-19.1 mpg not nearly the range the JGC does. I guess because I have been around diesels all my life as well as JP4/8 I am insensitive to it but good advice to keep the diesel off of your hand. A lot of places I fill up at for gas have no paper towels so BYOT. My SO will never fill this thing up as she still views diesels and smelly and stinky...
Cheers

NC4stroker 01-01-2014 07:52 PM

^^^ I diesel up my Ram at the local truck stop because the pumps are super fast, and my Titan tank holds 50+ gallons. Around here, if you fuel up with the big boys, there is diesel fuel everywhere. My nitrile gloves are always slick, without exception.

It's easy to top off my Ram, because I can actually see into the tank.

I'm learning the "car" diesel pumps are cleaner usually. Until a 2500 comes along and spews fuel all over the place! LoL

PS fun2drive, don't fill up in NC at any truck stops without your gloves!!

netboy 01-01-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC4stroker (Post 953138)
The diesel is awesome. Your gonna be pumping for a while anyway, using the paper towels, though certainly not necessary, doesn't take any longer, and it's a way for the OCD, CRD owners to "make a difference" in the tidiness of their fuel tank area. LOL

Dang! I do the exact same thing since day one. Thanks for verifying my OCD tendencies ;)

NC4stroker 01-01-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netboy (Post 953217)
Dang! I do the exact same thing since day one. Thanks for verifying my OCD tendencies ;)

LOL, yeah a little buff once a week will likely keep the diesel/dirt patina to a minimum.....I hope!!!

However, if you want a get rich quick scheme......design a cologne with the staying power of flesh applied ULSD, and you be a multimillionaire.

crabman 01-01-2014 09:05 PM

Yep, been keeping the nitrile gloves in my trucks for a long time. I don't care how clean the place is I always put them on to fill up. It's not that diesel bothers me is that some time ago I got a little bit on my hand that I didn't notice until I got it on the steering wheel. Leather steering wheel. The odor proved to be remarkably resilient but did eventually go away. Now I just put em on up front and if it turns out it wasn't needed no big, only takes a sec to glove up.

mswlogo 01-01-2014 11:51 PM

I don't own a Diesel Jeep but I have a Diesel Kubota Tractor and I know exactly what he is talking about. I think it's great advice. If you just have a little bit around the filler and then pull into the garage, next morning it will stink. Or on your hands, it stinks. And it's quite easy to get on the nozzle too, because it's oil and doesn't evaporate.

It even happened a little today with my Gas Jeep. I was really sloppy pulling it out and it dripped coming out. I never Top Off. When I got home and pulled into my garage all I could smell was gas fumes. Those go away much quicker than diesel as diesel just doesn't evaporate like gas does.

Diesel is often all over the ground at diesel stations too and it gets on the bottom of your feet.
It's always grimy black on the ground around the diesel pumps.

shoestring 01-02-2014 11:07 PM

yeah fueling the CRD can be a messy endeavor. while I haven't used a paper towel on the fill spout, I'm certainly not beyond it:)

But I usually do put a nitrile glove on to handle the pump, they always seem to have fuel on them and the last place I want diesel fuel is on my hand and the steering wheel!

Sure, I may look like a Prima Donna at the fuel pump but it's worth it.