Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   GC For hunting (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/gc-for-hunting-69854.html)

Btoeps74 01-01-2014 07:59 PM

GC For hunting

Do any of you use a grand cherokee for hunting? I'm in the market for a new vehicle and while I do think a truck would better serve hunting duties, I don't exactly like driving a truck day to day. Having just sold my '03 dodge ram, I liked the power, but hated maneuvering parking lots and driving tight trails, which leads me to think the GC would shine.

jacko15 01-01-2014 08:47 PM

Re: GC For hunting

I'd rather use a gun for hunting! :rolleyes:

bill_de 01-01-2014 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 953223)
I'd rather use a gun for hunting! :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Didn't somebody here try deer hunting with their Jeep, not too long ago. If I remember, the pictures showed that the deer won.

---

Setoutguy 01-01-2014 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Btoeps74 (Post 953211)
Do any of you use a grand cherokee for hunting? I'm in the market for a new vehicle and while I do think a truck would better serve hunting duties, I don't exactly like driving a truck day to day. Having just sold my '03 dodge ram, I liked the power, but hated maneuvering parking lots and driving tight trails, which leads me to think the GC would shine.

What type of hunting? Waterfowl no problem. Deer with a tarp in the back or something to protect the interior thats your call. Going to mall? Depends on how upscale the mall. Pheasant, grouse or wild turkey shouldnt be a problem.

Bear or moose a pick up would work better.

Lawyers a Range Rover or Porsche Cayenne are great decoys and will help draw them in for the kill shot.

jwall04 01-01-2014 09:25 PM

It can be done. Would make getting to camp a lot more fun! I would consider several accessories: factory tow pkg which includes rear load leveling suspension. Then you can get a hitch mounted cargo carrier...I've seen guys haul deer out that way. I would also get a roof top cargo basket for extra gear that you can't fit inside. Also, complete set of all-weather mats front, rear and cargo area. And lastly, neoprene seat covers. You'd be ready for action!

Aeroguy 01-01-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setoutguy (Post 953233)
What type of hunting? Waterfowl no problem. Deer with a tarp in the back or something to protect the interior thats your call. Going to mall? Depends on how upscale the mall. Pheasant, grouse or wild turkey shouldnt be a problem.

Bear or moose a pick up would work better.

Lawyers a Range Rover or Porsche Cayenne are great decoys and will help draw them in for the kill shot.

If we could draw Lawyers with a a high end GC, I'd be in for contributing to a subsidy. Whos's in?

xJoshxx 01-01-2014 10:36 PM

pick up a small solid axle trailer. find an old s10 cut the cab off it weld a hitch to it Bingo!

HaydenHunter 01-01-2014 11:57 PM

Avid waterfowl hunter here. I either field hunt or hunt out of my boat, which I tow. I do it with my pickup truck. The JGC in our family is my wife's car.

For field hunting I would prefer the pickup with camper shell any day for fitting the max amount of gear and decoys. For dragging the boat I don't suppose it would make that much difference...but there is no way I am going to be able to take mama's new leather trimmed Jeep.

I have, however, taken it on a few 1/2 day scouting trips. :thumbsup:

offroader 01-02-2014 12:56 AM

They should offer the GC in camo.

wrench 01-02-2014 07:16 AM

I do a lot of bird hunting over a lab with my '14 Summit. My biggest issue is finding the correct dog crate. The problem is the angle of the lift gate and it exists with almost all similar vehicles. No one is making a crate front that is angled so that it is parallel to a closed liftgate...they are all vertical. This means the crate bottom has to be placed 18" forward of the gate bottom in the closed position which wastes space and forces you to keep the rear seat folded down. You can pack gear between the crate and gate but you have to move the gear when loading/unloading the dog. Inconvenient when the ground is wet and the dog is ready to go. I will soon modify my existing crate so the door end of the crate is the same angle as the lift gate alleviating the problems outlined previously.

There is another issue when the rear seats are folded down; the headrests also fold down and stick into the rear foot well. Bottom line is that the rear foot well, where a passenger would put their feet, now does not allow for much storage. I've always found this area to be perfect for storing shotguns as they were easily accessible with the rear door open but inaccessible by the driver when driving which the law requires in some states.

Btoeps74 01-02-2014 12:21 PM

I don't bird hunt so would be more for hunting whitetails in the fall. Maybe a smaller truck would be better. I've heard rumors of the Chevy Colorado having a turbo diesel for '15, but think the GC's look so much nicer. As mentioned it won't be until this summer I'll be buying so have plenty of time to research.

redrockv8 01-02-2014 06:40 PM

I take my 96 Cherokee for hunting and fishing. It's like a little tank and we'll go places a pickup truck won't fit. My 14 grand is way too pretty to get all scratched up out in the woods.