Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   5.7 intake (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/5-7-intake-69856.html)

blackandwhite 01-01-2014 09:08 PM

5.7 intake

Which of these seem to be the best? I'm looking for obvious power and mpg gain. I see a lot of airaids, k&n, and injen. Hoping for personal experience

Also, does anyone run a throttle body spacer on their hemi?

hemi_shox 01-01-2014 10:48 PM

Re: 5.7 intake

The only true cold air intake is the Bwoody. The others are just short ram noise makers. As for TB spacer, it's not worth it. The way to go is a ported throttle body. 85mm so you don't have to tune for WOT and it adds real HP and MPG

greenwayer 01-03-2014 03:08 AM

Dont get a throttle body spacer. What you should do is get an srt intake tube and a good air filter like a K & N drop in instead of a "cold air intake". This setup will give you the best performance and many of us on this forum run it. Plus you dont have to worry about hydrolocking the motor every time it rains with those open cone filters.

brentwoodkris 01-03-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenwayer (Post 953840)
Dont get a throttle body spacer. What you should do is get an srt intake tube and a good air filter like a K & N drop in instead of a "cold air intake". This setup will give you the best performance and many of us on this forum run it. Plus you dont have to worry about hydrolocking the motor every time it rains with those open cone filters.

+1. I was just too lazy to type out the same response that I've typed out for so many similar threads on here...or even go look to find to find it so I could copy/paste it. :thumbsup: Thanks for doing the legwork for me greenwayer!

johngreen1234 01-03-2014 01:16 PM

For an "obvious" gain, get the 6.4.

For an increase in performance, a higher-flow intake path will help the most among these choices, IMO. I have the aFe on my 2010/hemi. It uses a conical DRY filter and adds a new top to the pre-existing bottom of the factory filter box. No water can get in unless you open the hood and spray with a hose. Since installing it I've noticed a surprising bit of added acceleration in the 3k+ rpm range.

Personally, I would never use an oiled filter. Moreover the K&N are the worst of the bunch when compared to the factory paper filters. Key here is to change/clean your filter regularly. Much has been made of the factory air flow already exceeding the needs of ANY hemi, and I believe this--until the filter gets used. Then I want as much excess air flow as I can get, to overcome the restriction of a dirty filter.

As to the recommendation of TB porting, I recommend the OP look at a picture of a stock vs ported TB side-by-side, to get an idea of how tiny the difference is, for so much money and promised gains. Somebody's been milking the snake!

I love my 5.7, and if it ever blows up I'll consider rebuilding it with higher-performance parts. But the kind of money being spent for tiny gains just seems silly to me.