Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   WK2 and dogs? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/wk2-and-dogs-69857.html)

Vrrooom 01-01-2014 09:26 PM

WK2 and dogs?

I just picked up my new 2014 Limited EcoDiesel yesterday. I have to say this Jeep is amazing!

And now that I have a new Jeep, I need to think of ways on how to transport my dog with me. Previously I had a 2004 Trailblazer that his crate would fit in. Unfortunately his crate is too large and will not fit in the Jeep. He's a large breed dog, so it's a big crate. So it seems like he will have to be transported without the crate and outside of letting him loose in the back, what options are there?

I was looking into the pet barrier things and while those are good to take him to the local hiking trail or dog parks, it won't work when the jeep is packed with luggage and 3 people.

I'd love to see what some of you are doing.

wrench 01-02-2014 07:21 AM

Re: WK2 and dogs?

See my post in "GC for hunting".

Setoutguy 01-02-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vrrooom (Post 953237)
I just picked up my new 2014 Limited EcoDiesel yesterday. I have to say this Jeep is amazing!

And now that I have a new Jeep, I need to think of ways on how to transport my dog with me. Previously I had a 2004 Trailblazer that his crate would fit in. Unfortunately his crate is too large and will not fit in the Jeep. He's a large breed dog, so it's a big crate. So it seems like he will have to be transported without the crate and outside of letting him loose in the back, what options are there?

I was looking into the pet barrier things and while those are good to take him to the local hiking trail or dog parks, it won't work when the jeep is packed with luggage and 3 people.

There are harnesses you can buy which you can run a seatbelt through to restrain him. I dont like pet barriers because they dont protect your dog from injury in a shunt. Come on you only need two pairs of shoes and cut down on what you pack and leave a human home. Your dog is a lot easier to get along with.

Btoeps74 01-02-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

I'd think you'd have more room with the barrier than you would with the pet carrier.

2001Cherokee 01-02-2014 04:28 PM

I have a 100 lb lab/pit mix so in a similar boat. I got one of the plastic crates at Petsmart and anchored it on all four corners to the floor. The beauty is that I don't have to fold the back seats down (but they cannot be reclined), and the crate literally fits within two millimeters of the back glass. The crate is big enough for my dog, but he is only happy in there for about 45 minutes tops. He only is in there for about 20 minutes at a time going to the dog park or dog daycare so it works for me.

I also put a soft crate mat on the bottom to keep him from sliding around.

Hope this helps !

2001Cherokee 01-02-2014 04:31 PM

Thought i was able to attach a picture but i suppose not. The crate is grey plastic with a wire door, can't recall the measurements but your local pet store will likely have the exact one as they are all made by the same manufacturer.

lstowell 01-02-2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Btoeps74 (Post 953460)
I'd think you'd have more room with the barrier than you would with the pet carrier.

This wouldn't work?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Dog Guard Compartment Partition - Item # 82212304

I guess Plan B would be to get a miniature Chihuahua and carry it in the Uconnect dropdown panel.

Setoutguy 01-02-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

What breed? If you search the interweb and Amazon you find crates in a variety of sizes. There are custom crate manufactures out there. I have the rear seat folded and run two crates. If I want to to run two crates side by side I need ones that are about inch less in width.

wraab 01-02-2014 05:18 PM

I've thought about the pet barrier: Jeep Grand Cherokee Suv 5door 2013 Pet Barrier - from Travall US

But then again I have 3 dogs (240lbs) and so that would only work with one dog.

At this point, all the seats will be laid down for them to ride in the jeep.

hawkster 01-02-2014 06:34 PM

We have a 75 lb boxer. I use a harness restraint attached to the posts in the back floorboard. Back seat is up. Also installed a universal cover that covers the back floor, back of back seat, and the side of the rear compartment. Dog can stand and move some without being boxed in a crate. In case of panic braking he will not land in the front seat. Don't ask me how I know this. He jumps in and out over the back bumper.

muzhik 01-03-2014 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 953597)
This wouldn't work?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Dog Guard Compartment Partition - Item # 82212304

I guess Plan B would be to get a miniature Chihuahua and carry it in the Uconnect dropdown panel.

This one supposedly doesn't fit in JGC's with the pano roof.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wraab
I've thought about the pet barrier: Jeep Grand Cherokee Suv 5door 2013 Pet Barrier - from Travall US

But then again I have 3 dogs (240lbs) and so that would only work with one dog.

At this point, all the seats will be laid down for them to ride in the jeep.

This one I worry about deforming the plastic interior panels if left in place long-term or on a hot day.

Here's a couple more threads about pet barriers:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/pet-b...ion-60358.html

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/dog-barrier-64062.html

As to the OP's question, what I've done in the past for road trips is put all of the luggage in a roof-rack box and between the kids on the back seat if necessary so the dog(s) could ride in the cargo area with a pet barrier installed so they don't hang their heads over the seat and drool on the kids. Hoping to do the same when I get my JGC, and looking for the best pet barrier option.

Vrrooom 01-03-2014 07:05 AM

I like the Travall pet barrier, but cannot find it in stock. I've contacted the company and haven't heard back.

I don't like the mopar barrier because it's drills holes in the vehicle, and I can't use it because of the panoramic sunroof.

I did see an option of the portable tents for the cargo area but not sure how they would work. Anyone on here have one? How does it fit in the GC? If it's flexible enough, the hatch would be able to close. And how's it work with bigger dogs? I'd have to figure a way to tie it down.

I'll do more searching on custom crates. It's hard to find car specific info out there and while some crates may work on most vehicles, I'm concerned of the slope of our hatch. It's more comforting to hear back from and see pictures on the exact vehicle.

My dog is still a puppy, he's a Rhodesian Ridgeback. 5 months today at 60lbs.