Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Sunroof seals (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/sunroof-seals-69868.html)

knight rider 01-02-2014 04:30 AM

Sunroof seals
 
2 Attachment(s)
My sunroof seal has a small split in it, which has only just happen. No Idea why- heat maybe. Also the window seals keep folding in, Which most of the jeeps I have looked at do the same thing.
My question- should I have them fixed- worried about dealer doing the repairs. Sort of feels like asking the devil to baby sit your kids.

ENFORCER 01-03-2014 03:46 AM

Re: Sunroof seals
 
Simple answer = NO.
It looks like it is sealing fine. Put some water on it to confirm no leaks.
I personally have never looked closely at my seals, but your look fine. While cosmetically it looks wrong, it is for sealing water/dust/wind from the outside, not to look nice.

kennzz05 01-03-2014 03:56 AM

Re: Sunroof seals
 
i dont know if silicone spray is available down under but it it is the acceptable method of treating rubber seals to keep them pliable. i would also think it would add a degree of lubrication so that the window seals dont bind anymore. as far as the sunroof seal maybe stop by a glass repair place and ask them their opinion. if you have a warranty why not? its only going to get worse

knight rider 01-03-2014 04:11 AM

Re: Sunroof seals
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 953844)
Simple answer = NO.
It looks like it is sealing fine. Put some water on it to confirm no leaks.
I personally have never looked closely at my seals, but your look fine. While cosmetically it looks wrong, it is for sealing water/dust/wind from the outside, not to look nice.

Thanks for the reply, that was my thoughts really anyway was just putting it out there.
Would be a major repair for a minor issue. It shouldn't be like that, but I will live with it for now as long as the sunroof seal doesn't get any worse.

knight rider 01-03-2014 04:57 AM

Re: Sunroof seals
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kennzz05 (Post 953847)
i dont know if silicone spray is available down under but it it is the acceptable method of treating rubber seals to keep them pliable. i would also think it would add a degree of lubrication so that the window seals dont bind anymore. as far as the sunroof seal maybe stop by a glass repair place and ask them their opinion. if you have a warranty why not? its only going to get worse

It's only a couple of months new and I clean it every day with detailing spray so they aren't dried out, window seals were like that from new as are all the ones I looked at the dealership. Just when I saw the sunroof seal starting to split I got concerned about all the seals on the car.

kennzz05 01-03-2014 09:36 AM

Re: Sunroof seals
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by knight rider (Post 953861)
It's only a couple of months new and I clean it every day with detailing spray so they aren't dried out, window seals were like that from new as are all the ones I looked at the dealership. Just when I saw the sunroof seal starting to split I got concerned about all the seals on the car.

what is going to happen is fine dirt and dust will start to fill in that crack and gradually degrade the rest of the seal so if you are opposed to getting it fixed than get some black caulking and seal it. detailing spray does nothing to preserve rubber seals, not like its a big deal now but if the vehicle spends alot of time in the sun its a good maintenance tip

knight rider 01-03-2014 02:38 PM

Re: Sunroof seals
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kennzz05 (Post 953933)
what is going to happen is fine dirt and dust will start to fill in that crack and gradually degrade the rest of the seal so if you are opposed to getting it fixed than get some black caulking and seal it. detailing spray does nothing to preserve rubber seals, not like its a big deal now but if the vehicle spends alot of time in the sun its a good maintenance tip

Yes I will probably puts something over the crack- black sikaflex Thanks

Matty470 01-14-2014 08:15 PM

Re: Sunroof seals
 
To my untrained eye, it just looks like the seam of the seal has just popped out of the channel that helps locate it. Maybe try using a small flat screwdriver (be careful not to puncture it) or a thin flat plastic trim removal tool to push it back in.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community