Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Super Impressed w Snow Handling (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/super-impressed-w-snow-handling-69884.html)

Fght On 01-02-2014 03:36 PM

Super Impressed w Snow Handling

So all the haters always want to dog our trucks when comparing to Range Rover, Porsche, AMG and M series - not that there is ever a comparison, I'd take my SRT again any day over the competition, but let's add winter/snow handling to the infinite list of how the Jeep is better. Winter has finally lived up to it's name this year in Chicago - we've been getting absolutely dumped on. When you live in a climate like this, I don't believe in swapping out tires and wheels for a winter setup, I go for a setup that will work in all conditions (understanding winter still won't be like a dry summer day). I just installed my new setup (Pirelli All seasons and 22's) and it hasn't been great in 5+ inches of snow but it gets the job done . . . well that all changed on NYE when I actually remembered we have a snow setting on the dial. Holy Sh*t was I impressed. It was a new truck. The traction was unreal. I was taking off from lights like there was merely some water on the road. One more way this truck shines and stands out from the competition.

Scottina06 01-02-2014 03:56 PM

Re: Super Impressed w Snow Handling

we only get dustings here and there with a 1-2" snowfall being RARE. My 13 or 14 have never surprised me in any condition. I have the utmost confidence in its snow/ice handling

Fght On 01-02-2014 04:15 PM

These beasts truly are amazing!!

cherryredjeep 01-02-2014 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fght On (Post 953560)
So all the haters always want to dog our trucks when comparing to Range Rover, Porsche, AMG and M series - not that there is ever a comparison, I'd take my SRT again any day over the competition, but let's add winter/snow handling to the infinite list of how the Jeep is better. Winter has finally lived up to it's name this year in Chicago - we've been getting absolutely dumped on. When you live in a climate like this, I don't believe in swapping out tires and wheels for a winter setup, I go for a setup that will work in all conditions (understanding winter still won't be like a dry summer day). I just installed my new setup (Pirelli All seasons and 22's) and it hasn't been great in 5+ inches of snow but it gets the job done . . . well that all changed on NYE when I actually remembered we have a snow setting on the dial. Holy Sh*t was I impressed. It was a new truck. The traction was unreal. I was taking off from lights like there was merely some water on the road. One more way this truck shines and stands out from the competition.

Rrrr,I hate this post,went w/overland over the srt since i have 4x4 dr.way a 1/4 ml. long.maybe i under est. the big brother.

xJoshxx 01-02-2014 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fght On (Post 953581)
These beasts truly are amazing!!

wanna have a Hold my beer moment put it in track and disable ESC. 30/70 split lol

with the all seasons, she was spinning all 4 starting to torque steer but was easily controllable

phillysrt 01-02-2014 11:51 PM

I got stuck in the snow with the SRT the other day on the turnpike. Everyone is doing 15 mph I out her in snow mode and doing 45 without issue! These things are BEASTS

lillyjas 01-02-2014 11:52 PM

I concur... This is a great year round ride... I however, have always swapped tires, as mostly drove RWD cars in cold climates... So I still do, and if you think all seasons and snow mode are good... Snow mode with snow tires... It is like it has claws... Have to keep reminding yourself, you are not bulletproof... But darn close!

xJoshxx 01-03-2014 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillyjas (Post 953791)
I concur... This is a great year round ride... I however, have always swapped tires, as mostly drove RWD cars in cold climates... So I still do, and if you think all seasons and snow mode are good... Snow mode with snow tires... It is like it has claws... Have to keep reminding yourself, you are not bulletproof... But darn close!

Before when I had my laredo wk2 with winterforce's she was unstoppable. It really took the fun out the snow honestly!!

I was scared for my life with stock fortera's haha

Jeff_Jeske 01-03-2014 12:31 AM

Does the SRT stability control still interfere with fish tailing and such? In my Overland I can turn off traction control and it will let me spin a bit but when I try to hang the rear end out around a corner from a stop the ECU gets involved and shuts me down sometimes to the point where I consider it overly intrusive.

Scottina06 01-03-2014 12:52 AM

not if you throw it in track.....lol

xJoshxx 01-03-2014 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske (Post 953804)
Does the SRT stability control still interfere with fish tailing and such? In my Overland I can turn off traction control and it will let me spin a bit but when I try to hang the rear end out around a corner from a stop the ECU gets involved and shuts me down sometimes to the point where I consider it overly intrusive.

put it in track, press hold TC till it says ESC Off, your on your own! I think only thing on at that point would be the electronic roll mitigation.

johnpassantino1 01-03-2014 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had fun getting to work this morning here in northern NJ. And to have the option of traction (snow mode) or fun (track mode) is amazing.