Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Just wanted to share info... on new tires. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/just-wanted-to-share-info-on-new-tires-69886.html)

Paul Bernard 01-02-2014 05:24 PM

Just wanted to share info... on new tires.

My 2013 JGC Ltd. has 26m on it. It came with Michelin Latitudes 265/60/18 that turned out to be a lousy tire. Balanced 3 times, one full alignment, several rotations all within 14 months, 26m miles. Not a good track record for a tire rated at 65,000 miles. They vibrated, and got very noisy as if I had snow tires on the jeep, then the last 5m miles they developed a dull sounding droan sound. As like a wheel bearing sound. Back to the Dealer again, had two guys test drive it and both came up with bad tires. I did go on line and checked the reviews for the Michelin Latitudes and that told the story of how people were not happy with them. (terrible reviews).I shopped, and discovered the tire that seemed to be a good one was the Michelin LTX MS2. The reviews for this tire were very very good. It was hard to believe it was the same tire manufacturer. I only have 800 miles on them now, so it's too early to tell how they will perform, but I certainly can tell the difference. My jeep has never rode so smooth and Quiet since I 've had it. I thought for a time when I got the Latitudes balanced it was perfectly smooth but now I know it never was .The LTXMS2's are a bit firmer. The Latitudes had a bit of side sway in the rear and that is gone. A much nicer solid ride, so quiet and smooth on the highway. A bit more expensive, but if they turn out like the reviews I'll be very happy. My dealer did tell me, tires of all makes are some of their biggest customer complaints on all the Chrysler products.

brentwoodkris 01-03-2014 11:06 AM

Re: Just wanted to share info... on new tires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Bernard (Post 953622)
My 2013 JGC Ltd. has 26m on it. It came with Michelin Latitudes 265/60/18 that turned out to be a lousy tire. Balanced 3 times, one full alignment, several rotations all within 14 months, 26m miles. Not a good track record for a tire rated at 65,000 miles. They vibrated, and got very noisy as if I had snow tires on the jeep, then the last 5m miles they developed a dull sounding droan sound. As like a wheel bearing sound. Back to the Dealer again, had two guys test drive it and both came up with bad tires. I did go on line and checked the reviews for the Michelin Latitudes and that told the story of how people were not happy with them. (terrible reviews).I shopped, and discovered the tire that seemed to be a good one was the Michelin LTX MS2. The reviews for this tire were very very good. It was hard to believe it was the same tire manufacturer. I only have 800 miles on them now, so it's too early to tell how they will perform, but I certainly can tell the difference. My jeep has never rode so smooth and Quiet since I 've had it. I thought for a time when I got the Latitudes balanced it was perfectly smooth but now I know it never was .The LTXMS2's are a bit firmer. The Latitudes had a bit of side sway in the rear and that is gone. A much nicer solid ride, so quiet and smooth on the highway. A bit more expensive, but if they turn out like the reviews I'll be very happy. My dealer did tell me, tires of all makes are some of their biggest customer complaints on all the Chrysler products.

Mods please move to the WK2 section.

Yadkin 01-03-2014 05:25 PM

Tire Rack shows that as more of a heavy-duty tire, like for transport vans and the like. Also not so great in snow. And they don't come in 265/50 R20 size.

lstowell 01-03-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 954155)
Tire Rack shows that as more of a heavy-duty tire, like for transport vans and the like. Also not so great in snow. And they don't come in 265/50 R20 size.

Michelin Latitude or Michelin LTX MS2?

There are a few different load ratings for the MS2, but both of those models are ordinary old SUV tires--according to Michelin.

The MS2 is ok on moderate snow, and has better wet traction than many so-called all season tires. Except for the sizes that got recalled lately, arguably one of the best all around SUV tires available with excellent wear, traction, noise compromises.

The Latitude, well, it is round and black and has treads on it and doesn't totally suck.

Yadkin 01-04-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 954158)
Michelin Latitude or Michelin LTX MS2?

There are a few different load ratings for the MS2, but both of those models are ordinary old SUV tires--according to Michelin.

The MS2 is ok on moderate snow, and has better wet traction than many so-called all season tires. Except for the sizes that got recalled lately, arguably one of the best all around SUV tires available with excellent wear, traction, noise compromises.

The Latitude, well, it is round and black and has treads on it and doesn't totally suck.

I was referring to the Michelin LTX MS2.

robpp 01-04-2014 01:27 PM

I had a few sets of LTX MS originals. They were rated excellent in snow and were. Good for 60k miles.

I am 30k and a few winters into MS2. They are a good tire but not so bueno in snow. Ratings at tirerack show that. I agree v2 not the same.

May try AT next time IDK.