Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Binding after fluid change on quadradrive (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/binding-after-fluid-change-on-quadradrive-69894.html)

rosica 01-02-2014 07:37 PM

Binding after fluid change on quadradrive

I just changed the front and rear diff fluid in my Overland with synthetic 75w140 "limited slip". Now in tight turns I get a groaning/binding sound. I'am not sure what is happening, please help?

As a note, the old fluid looked good and I replaced the nv247 fluid with dealer stuff 2 weeks ago.

docster 01-02-2014 07:52 PM

Re: Binding after fluid change on quadradrive

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosica (Post 953677)
I just changed the front and rear diff fluid in my Overland with synthetic 75w140 "limited slip". Now in tight turns I get a groaning/binding sound. I'am not sure what is happening, please help?

As a note, the old fluid looked good and I replaced the nv247 fluid with dealer stuff 2 weeks ago.

What type of gear oil did you use? Many that say they contain limited slip additive do not have enough. you need 4 oz in rear, and 2.5 in front. I would get some LS additive from dealer and add at least 3 to rear and 1 to front and see if that helps. The only gear oil that people say has enough additive is Amsoil, and even then many have to add more. I use royal purple with the additive and add 3 oz rear and 1.5 front. Then the binding disappears. Even at 2 oz added to rear it was still binding a bit.

rosica 01-02-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docster (Post 953683)

What type of gear oil did you use? Many that say they contain limited slip additive do not have enough. you need 4 oz in rear, and 2.5 in front. I would get some LS additive from dealer and add at least 3 to rear and 1 to front and see if that helps. The only gear oil that people say has enough additive is Amsoil, and even then many have to add more. I use royal purple with the additive and add 3 oz rear and 1.5 front. Then the binding disappears. Even at 2 oz added to rear it was still binding a bit.

Thanks for the quick answer! I'll pass by the dealer tomorrow.

01grand 01-06-2014 12:59 PM

Docster is correct, out of curiosity what brand fluid did you use? I'm one of the people running amsoil and did not have to add any, but before that I used valvoline and did have to add some. Like docster said just add an once or 2 to each diff and drive it to mix it in, if you add too much it will fix the binding, but will also reduce the effectiveness of the limited slip function.

rosica 01-06-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 955538)
.....what brand fluid did you use?

I used Valvoline.

For next time, is any FM OK or only dealer stuff?

Frango100 01-06-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 955538)
will also reduce the effectiveness of the limited slip function.

Too much limited slip additive will not reduce the effectiveness of the additive, but it will reduce the oxydation properties and negatively influence the lubrication properties of the fluid. In this case, less is better.
You just need to add as much as needed to get rid of the binding and nothing more. Add a bit, make tight figure 8 turns and see if the binding is gone. If not, add a bit more and test again.

01grand 01-06-2014 09:57 PM

There are some friction modifiers that say "not for jeep quadra trac quadra drive systems" that you obviously dont want to use. For how little you need a bottle from the dealer isnt that expensive to know its the right stuff.

rosica 01-26-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docster (Post 953683)

So I bought the Mopar FM from the dealer for $11, added 2oz the the rear and <1oz to the front, after a few days the binding is gone!! Thanks for the help!

TJXJWJ 01-28-2014 08:23 AM

I've noticed a little of this myself when it's -15 outside and my first move out of the parking spot at work is a tight turn. It disappears right away though once all the juice has been churned up. I run Royal Purple 140-75 in my diffs. It's never been an issue when it's not stupid cold out though. I'm due for a fluid flush here soon, and when I do it, I'll be adding 3oz in the back and 1.5 up front before filling with gear oil.