Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f172/)
-   -   Larger Rotors? Wilwood? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f172/larger-rotors-wilwood-69917.html)

Fght On 01-03-2014 10:55 AM

Larger Rotors? Wilwood?

I've been seeing and hearing a lot about Wilwood brakes lately, and I love the all black rotor they make. Does anyone know anything, or have any experience with Wilwood, or any other high-end rotors? I really like the drilled and slotted look. Also with the new wheels wouldn't mind putting a larger rotor on there.

K_SRT8 01-03-2014 12:47 PM

Re: Larger Rotors? Wilwood?

Your car will look better with bigger rotors because of the wheel design. I have never heard about wildwood. Google wildwood maybe you can find some information and customer reviews.

Fght On 01-03-2014 01:08 PM

Forgot to ask . . . what all would be involved to run a larger rotor?

Schleprock 01-03-2014 01:33 PM

The rotor is the big disc, which is silver and what you want to increase in size. The black item you speak of is the caliper, which holds the brake pads and squeezes the rotor to stop.

You can only put Wilwood brakes on if they make a setup that fits the bolt locations and clearance needed. My guess off hand is they don't make a big brake kit for the Jeep SRT, but maybe another vehicles specs will work.

2 things for you to realize. 1) bigger rotors and calipers = more weight on front nose. 2) Wilwood complete big brake setup = a lot of money for not much benefit, especially since it seems you are mostly worried about only the visual aspect of it.

SRT spent a lot of time on the braking dynamics of this vehicle, and the stock brakes are pretty massive as is. IMO, leave it alone, SRT knows more than us in this area with regards to optimal size and performance of the braking system.

Fght On 01-03-2014 02:01 PM

Wilwood makes a black rotor as well - it looks pretty slick. I finally talked to Wilwood, they don't make a 15x1.34. They have a 16, that is why I was asking what would be involved but I realized I would prob have to replace the caliper as well which is more than I want to do.

Schleprock 01-03-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fght On (Post 954046)
Wilwood makes a black rotor as well - it looks pretty slick. I finally talked to Wilwood, they don't make a 15x1.34. They have a 16, that is why I was asking what would be involved but I realized I would prob have to replace the caliper as well which is more than I want to do.

If you want, you can take your OEM rotors off and coat them black, just be sure to mask off the area where you see pad contact. Really all you are going to notice that is black is the hub area where it mounts. The pad contacts almost the entire rotor surface. And yes, if you increase rotor size you must increase caliper size to cover the additional surface space.

K_SRT8 01-03-2014 03:21 PM

I.checked their website and they don't offer a rotor for the WK2

Fght On 01-03-2014 04:49 PM

Yea, prob more than it's worth. Thanks guys

Scottina06 01-03-2014 04:50 PM

I bet the braking surface on those don't remain black. That looks chappy imho. You do know that the jeep srt has the largest brakes of any SRT right? Yes...even the viper.
I think brembo makes an 8 piston upgrade for the fronts. ...but for like $4300.
Just get the brembo sport rotors in either drilled or slotted and some high performance pads.

Fght On 01-03-2014 06:35 PM

I know Scott - ha. That's what I'm going to end up going with - I just want to make sure I do it right the second time around, and I really like the drilled and slotted look. Got to exhaust all options.

forza 01-03-2014 06:53 PM

Think this is what you want...

Cross drilled rotors, cross drilled vs slotted rotors, slotted rotors, drilled rotors CHEROKEE

Scottina06 01-03-2014 07:08 PM

Don't waste your money on cheap crissdrilled/slotted rotors...even r1's aren't that great. ..and that came from another srt brother. He's changing his r1's for the brembo sports