Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Quadra Lift motion sickness (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/quadra-lift-motion-sickness-69968.html)

ADGrant 01-04-2014 03:17 PM

Quadra Lift motion sickness

Recently test drove a Summit with the Hemi. Performance wasn't too bad and the steering was decent but I found that the ride made me motion sick. Has anyone else experienced this.

Looks like I will have to go for a loaded Limited if I buy a Jeep.

Jim_in_PA 01-04-2014 08:40 PM

Re: Quadra Lift motion sickness

That doesn't sound right...QL doesn't "move" when you drive, outside of automatically raising from park mode to normal or lowering a little when you go into Aero mode. My Summit is rock solid when it comes to the ride.

The only time it's ever "bounced" on me is when we were beach riding this past summer in deep, "fluffy" sand that had some ruts across the path we were traveling.

ADGrant 01-04-2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 954685)
That doesn't sound right...QL doesn't "move" when you drive, outside of automatically raising from park mode to normal or lowering a little when you go into Aero mode. My Summit is rock solid when it comes to the ride. The only time it's ever "bounced" on me is when we were beach riding this past summer in deep, "fluffy" sand that had some ruts across the path we were traveling.

It's possible I may be more sensitive to motion sickness than most but the suspension definitely had some bounce when going over rough pavement. OTOH, my Wrangler owning friend found the ride more comfortable than my X5 which we drove to the dealership.

bill_de 01-04-2014 09:21 PM

I wonder what the air pressure was in the tires. Too many new cars are delivered with improper inflation, and it's not just a Jeep thing.

My experience with the quadra-lift is about the same as JIm's.

---

ADGrant 01-04-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 954701)
I wonder what the air pressure was in the tires. Too many new cars are delivered with improper inflation, and it's not just a Jeep thing. My experience with the quadra-lift is about the same as JIm's. ---

According to the Evic, around 35psi on each wheel.

Jim_in_PA 01-05-2014 09:44 AM

I run at 38 psi cold. For that bounce I mentioned during beach driving, I was aired down to 20 psi, and things were definitely more bouncy when I got back on the hard road to head back to the rental and use my compressor.

I wonder if you should try a different Summit (or other trim level with QL) to see if you feel the same way. It really is strange that you were feeling any noticeable bounce...

ADGrant 01-05-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 954937)
I run at 38 psi cold. For that bounce I mentioned during beach driving, I was aired down to 20 psi, and things were definitely more bouncy when I got back on the hard road to head back to the rental and use my compressor. I wonder if you should try a different Summit (or other trim level with QL) to see if you feel the same way. It really is strange that you were feeling any noticeable bounce...

Well I do drive a 2011 X5 which has a pretty hard ride. I will checkout a limited first and then maybe another QL Jeep.

NC4stroker 01-05-2014 10:17 AM

My wife feels "uneasy" with the auto adjusting suspension, but ONLY when I make it raise and lower playing around.

She doesn't report any problems while driving.

What is weird with the system is it "rocks" you back and forth while adjusting. Which you can notice when travelling at enough speed to be in "aero" mode, and then stop.

I don't think it's gonna bother you too much in the end.

bill_de 01-05-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC4stroker (Post 954963)

What is weird with the system is it "rocks" you back and forth while adjusting. Which you can notice when travelling at enough speed to be in "aero" mode, and then stop.

I don't think it's gonna bother you too much in the end.

Not weird, in fact it's explained in the owners manual. It is done that way to insure that your headlights don't blind an oncoming driver.

Andoskyy 01-05-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 954965)
Not weird, in fact it's explained in the owners manual. It is done that way to insure that your headlights don't blind an oncoming driver.

Does the compressor and tank not provide enough volume to raise all 4 corners at once? That would not blind an oncoming driver either.

Jim_in_PA 01-05-2014 10:59 AM

The only time my JGC "adjusts" for attitude (outside of shifting into Aero at speed, which is not done quickly) is when it levels at start to accommodate things like butts-in-seat weight load in the back seat, etc.

Andoskyy, a major level adjustment seems to be front/back on my vehicle, not independent corners. The compressor is not huge and is most concerned with front/back level, etc. This is evident when I press the "park height" button or click into "sport" mode manually.

Andoskyy 01-05-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 954993)
The only time my JGC "adjusts" for attitude (outside of shifting into Aero at speed, which is not done quickly) is when it levels at start to accommodate things like butts-in-seat weight load in the back seat, etc.

Andoskyy, a major level adjustment seems to be front/back on my vehicle, not independent corners. The compressor is not huge and is most concerned with front/back level, etc. This is evident when I press the "park height" button or click into "sport" mode manually.

Yeah, mine is front/back too, but that contradicts what the manual says. (I admit I didn't read it, but you posted an excerpt) Raising the front first would "blind" other drivers more so than raising the rear first, or all front and rear at the exact same time.