Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Cherokee-KL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/)
-   -   Playing music using USB or SD Card slot in a 2014 Jeep Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/playing-music-using-usb-or-sd-card-slot-in-a-2014-jeep-cherokee-69980.html)

jeeperspeepers 01-04-2014 06:12 PM

Playing music using USB or SD Card slot in a 2014 Jeep Cherokee

In the near future I am going to be purchasing a 2014 Jeep Cherokee with Uconnect 8.4A. I found out that the CD player is only available as a remote model and is located in the center console. It appears that the player takes up at least 1/2 of the console. As a result, I was wondering if anyone has used the USB or SD Card slot for playing music? I have many CD's and was wondering the following:
A) Can I copy my CD's to a USB flash drive and use the USB slot to play them? If so, should I copy the songs using the MP3 format or another format? Will I be able to access and select the songs through the Uconnect 8.4A ?
B) Would I be better served by using the SD card slot and a SD card instead of the USB flash drive?
C) How have others with a supply of [now considered old school media] CD's listened to them without purchasing the remote CD? [PLEASE NOTE: I have no plans to purchase an iPod at this time]
I have reviewed both the Owner's Manual and the Uconnect Supplement Manual online and can't seem to find any information.
Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Jeeperspeepers

bill_de 01-04-2014 06:16 PM

Re: Playing music using USB or SD Card slot in a 2014 Jeep Cherokee

I used Windows Media Player to rip my CDs to an SD card. Once done I put the SD card in the slot and left it there. You can search by artist, album, genre, etc. I typically select genre and shuffle, but there are plenty of options.

The USB should work the same way.

---

jfk3674 01-04-2014 11:17 PM

Get iTunes, copy the cd's to the tunes library(extremely easy, just make sure you have an internet connection so it pulls up the correct song names and artwork ) and buy a cheap iPod. The car works perfectly with the iPod and USB. It's much easier to ask the car to find a song for you then switching out discs.

jeeperspeepers 01-08-2014 11:10 AM

THANKS for the info bill_de and jfk3674

Bill_de I have a few questions:

1) You said you used Windows Media Player [I will use that too] What FORMAT for the music did you use? Windows Media Player Audio [the default format] or another format like MP3 or WAV.

2) What audio quality did you record? 128kps [default] or a higher format?

3) Did you have to create folders by artist or will the ripping do that automatically?

THANKS again!

Aldonola 01-08-2014 04:50 PM

The CD Player does not actually take up that much room in the center console. Maybe 20-25% and there is still a ton of room for storage. Just sayin....

loveracing1988 01-10-2014 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeperspeepers (Post 956616)
THANKS for the info bill_de and jfk3674

Bill_de I have a few questions:

1) You said you used Windows Media Player [I will use that too] What FORMAT for the music did you use? Windows Media Player Audio [the default format] or another format like MP3 or WAV.

2) What audio quality did you record? 128kps [default] or a higher format?

3) Did you have to create folders by artist or will the ripping do that automatically?

THANKS again!

Mp3 will play just fine.
The bit rate depends on how much music you have and how big of an sd card you buy. I always try to go as high as possible to get the highest quality. It may be a placebo effect but I can hear the difference. I have a 32 gb flash drive and that more than holds all of my music plus my wife's. I would recommend an sd card over flash drive because a flash drive will stick out and is vulnerable to being hit or damaged. A sd card is pretty well protected.

As long as you are connected to the internet it will create the folders by artist automatically.

ChadRizor 01-10-2014 10:05 PM

You don't have to use media player. I made my playlist with iTunes and placed it on my SD card. You may want to use folders if your doing multiple songs from one artist, this will narrow your search down. This helps with your search when dealing with large libraries. I also included album covers so you get to see the art work on your screen as well. iTunes is very simple to use and very easy to transfer playlist. 👉🚗👈

loveracing1988 01-10-2014 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChadRizor (Post 957921)
You don't have to use media player. I made my playlist with iTunes and placed it on my SD card. You may want to use folders if your doing multiple songs from one artist, this will narrow your search down. This helps with your search when dealing with large libraries. I also included album covers so you get to see the art work on your screen as well. iTunes is very simple to use and very easy to transfer playlist. 👉🚗👈

I would rather use AOL dial up for a month than use itunes. The hoops you have to jump through sometimes is ridiculous.

ChadRizor 01-10-2014 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loveracing1988 (Post 957922)
I would rather use AOL dial up for a month than use itunes. The hoops you have to jump through sometimes is ridiculous.

There are no hoops so easy it's idiot proof. Lol well almost

CHALLENGERBIZJET 01-10-2014 11:15 PM

Don't forget to take your mp3s off your 8 track and reel to reel and then plug that into the USB slot also...roll eyes......

asterix2112 04-22-2014 07:18 PM

If you don't have an iPod (which he said he does not have) which forces you to use iTunes, why would you ever load that bloated (loads tons of extraneous software), terribly unfriendly, hard to use thing called iTunes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfk3674 (Post 954778)
Get iTunes, copy the cd's to the tunes library(extremely easy, just make sure you have an internet connection so it pulls up the correct song names and artwork ) and buy a cheap iPod. The car works perfectly with the iPod and USB. It's much easier to ask the car to find a song for you then switching out discs.

loveracing1988 04-22-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asterix2112 (Post 1011124)
If you don't have an iPod (which he said he does not have) which forces you to use iTunes, why would you ever load that bloated (loads tons of extraneous software), terribly unfriendly, hard to use thing called iTunes?

No, obviously as someone said above it is "idiot proof".