Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   Cold Weather Start (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/cold-weather-start-70052.html)

Shannon 01-06-2014 01:24 PM

Cold Weather Start
 
It was minus 23 F. last night when I left work. There was no where to plug in my Jeep, so I was stuck leaving it sit out in the cold for 8 hours. I went to remote start it after work, and the lights flashed, but it did not start. I tried this several times, and it did not start. I put on a jacket, and went out to start. I got in, and pushed the start button. After about 5 seconds, it fired right up. I let it run a minute then shut down. I got out, and locked the door. I immediately pressed the remote start, so it could warm up while I went in to finish some work. Again, it would not start, and on the display, it said "remote start disabled". I got in, and manually started it right up. I locked the door and went back in to work. What I found is that if the remote start does not start the engine on the first crank, it disables itself. It was nice to know it started and ran fine at minus 23 below.

amr40509 01-06-2014 02:06 PM

Re: Cold Weather Start
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon (Post 955560)
It was minus 23 F. last night when I left work. There was no where to plug in my Jeep, so I was stuck leaving it sit out in the cold for 8 hours. I went to remote start it after work, and the lights flashed, but it did not start. I tried this several times, and it did not start. I put on a jacket, and went out to start. I got in, and pushed the start button. After about 5 seconds, it fired right up. I let it run a minute then shut down. I got out, and locked the door. I immediately pressed the remote start, so it could warm up while I went in to finish some work. Again, it would not start, and on the display, it said "remote start disabled". I got in, and manually started it right up. I locked the door and went back in to work. What I found is that if the remote start does not start the engine on the first crank, it disables itself. It was nice to know it started and ran fine at minus 23 below.


I've had mine just fail to attempt to remote start a few times - but I'm not sure why. It hasn't been that kind of cold here, temps in the 30's mostly (until last night).



Have you tried looking at your DEF level during that kind of cold?

This morning it was -2F down here in Kentucky (its NEVER that cold here). I noticed that my DEF gauge wasn't giving a reading, so I assumed it was because of the temp (or that the DEF was frozen). I know the tank is pretty full (I filled it up last week).

My truck did remote start this morning at -2F. I just started it from my office (I can see it in the parking lot) at +2F a few min ago to get ready to leave work, it's been sitting for 8+ hrs.

1Zach1 01-06-2014 02:24 PM

Re: Cold Weather Start
 
Interesting, the manual says the remote start will wait until the "Wait to start" telltale is no longer lit on the dash to turn over the engine, I wonder if that came into play for some reason.

amr40509 01-06-2014 03:37 PM

Checked mine at +2f...DEF gauge works now

Shannon 01-06-2014 04:24 PM

Re: Cold Weather Start
 
Have been running mine just fine for the past few weeks, where it has been 5-10 below zero a lot. It was last night when it was -23 that was concerning, but in the end, it did start and run. The DEF is showing just over 50%, and I am around 4000 miles.

racer-xerols 01-06-2014 07:58 PM

Re: Cold Weather Start
 
I'm glad to see this thread - I don't have a block heater cord for my Summit yet, and it's already 12 (ambient) out, supposed to drop to 2 tonight...plus wind chill. Jeep is garaged at home, but will sit out at work all day tomorrow, not supposed to hit double digits...plus the wind chill keeping it in the minus-teens. I was debating taking something else...but it sounds like the WK2 will be just fine :)

NC4stroker 01-06-2014 08:03 PM

Re: Cold Weather Start
 
Shannon, was your fuel level adequate? I know the remote start won't work if the fuel level is low.

Reginajeep 01-06-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon (Post 955560)
It was minus 23 F. last night when I left work. There was no where to plug in my Jeep, so I was stuck leaving it sit out in the cold for 8 hours. I went to remote start it after work, and the lights flashed, but it did not start. I tried this several times, and it did not start. I put on a jacket, and went out to start. I got in, and pushed the start button. After about 5 seconds, it fired right up. I let it run a minute then shut down. I got out, and locked the door. I immediately pressed the remote start, so it could warm up while I went in to finish some work. Again, it would not start, and on the display, it said "remote start disabled". I got in, and manually started it right up. I locked the door and went back in to work. What I found is that if the remote start does not start the engine on the first crank, it disables itself. It was nice to know it started and ran fine at minus 23 below.

Mine threw a code a few weeks back and the remote start would not work then, there were two other times one a low fuel level and the other I am not sure. I have been driving in -30F weather the last few days without a problem, different fuel definitely makes a difference at these temperatures. So far Shell has been the best in temps below 0 for me.

Shannon 01-07-2014 12:02 AM

Re: Cold Weather Start
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NC4stroker (Post 955827)
Shannon, was your fuel level adequate? I know the remote start won't work if the fuel level is low.

Keeping it near full with the cold temps. I have been experimenting with fuels to see which gets the best milage in the cold weather. My choices in MN are Holiday, Super America, BP, Shell, Kwik Trip, Fleet Farm, and Marathon. So far, the Kwik Trip is giving me the best milage. Started easily at -23 (wind chill around -50) by pressing the start button. Will see if the remote start works when it warms to less than -10 tomorrow. (Sucks saying "when it warms to less than -10")

NC4stroker 01-07-2014 07:37 AM

Re: Cold Weather Start
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon (Post 955953)
Started easily at -23 (wind chill around -50) by pressing the start button. Will see if the remote start works when it warms to less than -10 tomorrow. (Sucks saying "when it warms to less than -10")

Sounds like you live near International Falls!!!!

amr40509 01-07-2014 07:56 AM

Re: Cold Weather Start
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NC4stroker (Post 956059)
Sounds like you live near International Falls!!!!


Sounds like you need a good travel agent...I couldn't take that mess.

Jarek0423 01-07-2014 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon (Post 955953)
Keeping it near full with the cold temps. I have been experimenting with fuels to see which gets the best milage in the cold weather. My choices in MN are Holiday, Super America, BP, Shell, Kwik Trip, Fleet Farm, and Marathon. So far, the Kwik Trip is giving me the best milage. Started easily at -23 (wind chill around -50) by pressing the start button. Will see if the remote start works when it warms to less than -10 tomorrow. (Sucks saying "when it warms to less than -10")

Shannon, do you use any additives? Nice to know that it starts up in negative twenties!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community