Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   high temperature while idling (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/high-temperature-while-idling-70090.html)

Sherif 01-07-2014 12:35 AM

high temperature while idling
 
Hi everyone,
Every time I stop my jeep and keep it idling for a few minutes (5 or 10 max.) i notice the engine coolant temp. pointer jumps to the middle of the gauge and oil temp. reaches 225 or more while outside temp. range from 65 to 75 !! is it normal? I'm worried because outside temp. during summer is much higher here where I live (100 - 120 F) so I donno how will the engine perform then and worried about overheating issues!

TurboRush 01-07-2014 07:49 AM

Re: high temperature while idling
 
Yes, this is normal. Mine typically will climb to the middle of the gauge when stopped, fan kicks in, and it starts to drop back down. As long as its not going above the center of the gauge you're ok.

Oil temps seem normal as well.

padgett 01-07-2014 08:48 AM

Re: high temperature while idling
 
Normal but personally do not like to see engine temps over 200F. Heat is the enemy of everything that is rubber or plastic under the hood and breaks down oils faster.

You might try turning the a/c on which should also turn the fan on.

Gary3000 01-07-2014 10:19 AM

Re: high temperature while idling
 
Running the heater on high will rob some heat from the engine...Other than that I guess you shut down and restart...The 3.0 diesel I have says not to idle for long periods but they do not define a long period of time! I'm sure it will work fine at 100 degrees. Just make sure the fan is cycling on when the temp gauge climbs.

Sherif 01-07-2014 11:37 PM

Re: high temperature while idling
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboRush (Post 956062)
Yes, this is normal. Mine typically will climb to the middle of the gauge when stopped, fan kicks in, and it starts to drop back down. As long as its not going above the center of the gauge you're ok.

Oil temps seem normal as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 956078)
Normal but personally do not like to see engine temps over 200F. Heat is the enemy of everything that is rubber or plastic under the hood and breaks down oils faster.

You might try turning the a/c on which should also turn the fan on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary3000 (Post 956112)
Running the heater on high will rob some heat from the engine...Other than that I guess you shut down and restart...The 3.0 diesel I have says not to idle for long periods but they do not define a long period of time! I'm sure it will work fine at 100 degrees. Just make sure the fan is cycling on when the temp gauge climbs.

Thanks TurboRush, padgett and Gary3000
I was thinking of removing the engine cover to help reducing the temp, I've seen people removing it and even cutting ventilation hole in the hood! how about replacing the Overland hood with SRT hood (which comes with vents already)? :) will it fit without modifying anything?

padgett 01-08-2014 11:16 AM

Re: high temperature while idling
 
Be better to just add a lower tenp relay on the fan so I comes on at 205F.

lstowell 01-08-2014 11:36 AM

Re: high temperature while idling
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 956620)
Be better to just add a lower tenp relay on the fan so I comes on at 205F.

And since it is the V8, don't leave it idling for any length of time at all if parked on a slant--particularly an upward slant. The result is harmless, but will alarm the heck out of you and possibly any firemen in the area. [There is a TSB but you might want to read the threads about the deeper pan and dipstick]


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community