Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Does anyone with a 4x4 have a whining noise under acceleration? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/does-anyone-with-a-4x4-have-a-whining-noise-under-acceleration-70107.html)

FryingPan 01-07-2014 01:40 PM

Does anyone with a 4x4 have a whining noise under acceleration?
 
I've got 16K on my 2014 V6 4x4 and have started to notice a pretty prominent whining noise that increases with RPMs. Its' really noticeable in 1-3 gear between 3000-5500 RPM.

Google searches have yielded nothing as far as answers. :confused:

not_too_shabby 01-07-2014 02:08 PM

Yes! I have that too under hard acceleration. It almost sounds like I have a turbo. I have a 4x4 V6 as well, gas.

FryingPan 01-07-2014 04:23 PM

Re: Does anyone with a 4x4 have a whining noise under acceleration?
 
Yep, sounds like supercharger whine- which would be fine if I actually had a supercharger installed. Now it just sounds. . . broken.

not_too_shabby 01-07-2014 04:31 PM

Since it only does it when I floor it, I'll probably wait to bring it up with the dealer. Has yours gotten worse over time or did it start all if a sudden? Update the post if your dealer identifies the issue.

FryingPan 01-07-2014 06:07 PM

Re: Does anyone with a 4x4 have a whining noise under acceleration?
 
It pretty much just started happening around the 15k mile mark.

5.7summit 01-09-2014 07:45 PM

Did you guys ever figure out what this noise is? Could it be one of the idler pulleys?

traba1993 01-09-2014 08:06 PM

My 05 does the same thing it's a 5.7 hemi with 4x4 and when I get on it hard it sounds just like a supercharger which shocked me cause last time I checked I was N/A. Still don't know what it is. Doesn't do it in low rpms not that I can hear over the exhaust anyways. First heard it at 75k now at 80k and doesn't sound any worse.

Aeroguy 01-10-2014 04:40 PM

Re: Does anyone with a 4x4 have a whining noise under acceleration?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FryingPan (Post 956212)
I've got 16K on my 2014 V6 4x4 and have started to notice a pretty prominent whining noise that increases with RPMs. Its' really noticeable in 1-3 gear between 3000-5500 RPM.

Google searches have yielded nothing as far as answers. :confused:

I had it too... turned out it was just my wife. :lol:

FryingPan 01-16-2014 03:07 AM

Re: Does anyone with a 4x4 have a whining noise under acceleration?
 
Having the dealer check it out this Saturday AM. Service adviser thinks it might be a bearing or the idler pulley.

not_too_shabby 01-16-2014 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FryingPan (Post 960515)
Having the dealer check it out this Saturday AM. Service adviser thinks it might be a bearing or the idler pulley.

Thanks for the update. Keeps us posted

FryingPan 01-18-2014 05:31 PM

Re: Does anyone with a 4x4 have a whining noise under acceleration?
 
Dropped it off this morning, SA called saying that the noise is definitely coming from the gearbox and they'll swap it out on Monday. I was kinda busy when I got the phone call and didn't have a chance to ask any more questions, so I don't really have anything more specific.

not_too_shabby 01-18-2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FryingPan (Post 961832)
Dropped it off this morning, SA called saying that the noise is definitely coming from the gearbox and they'll swap it out on Monday. I was kinda busy when I got the phone call and didn't have a chance to ask any more questions, so I don't really have anything more specific.

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted. I'm wondering if mine will get worse over time.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community