Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   High pitched whistle sound from heating blower fan (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/high-pitched-whistle-sound-from-heating-blower-fan-70147.html)

ljramsey 01-08-2014 11:20 AM

High pitched whistle sound from heating blower fan

I have a '11 Overland with ~54,000 miles. This morning when my heater fan was running on high I noticed a high pitched whistle noise that sounds like it is coming from the passenger side under the dash. When the fan runs at a lower speed the sound decreases and finally almost goes away. If I manually turn the fan up again the whistle comes back. Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have any recommendations short of going to the dealer?

Thank you.

RedBolt 01-08-2014 12:27 PM

Re: High pitched whistle sound from heating blower fan

Service Bulletin 24-007-11 may may address this.

"SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a whistle or rattle sound from the dash while the HVAC is operating in panel mode with the blower speed set to 2 or 3 bars. To correct this condition the service port was moved from the A/C suction and liquid line to the A/C suction line."

The repair procedure is to replace the A/C suction and liquid line.

Hope that helps.

Redbolt
2011 Overland 4x4 Hemi
Blackberry Pearl
Off Road Adventure II
Technology Package

mandm1 01-08-2014 12:32 PM

I had a similar noise just the other day; a high-pitched whistle when the blower was on high. After nearly pulling my hair out, I tried raising all 4 windows.

Turns out that my wife had accidentally lowered her front passenger window ever so slightly. Completely closing the window immediately solved the problem! The window couldn't have been lowered more than an eighth of an inch, and wasn't visually noticeable.

Hope this helps.

ljramsey 01-08-2014 01:14 PM

I appreciate the recommendations. Unfortunately, the windows were not the issue. I will contact my dealer for the service bulletin.

Thank you.

petetherocker 01-09-2014 05:35 PM

I have a '12 Overland with same noise, but that TSB doesn't cover the '12's :mad:

I may take it to dealer anyway.

Raptor 01-09-2014 07:33 PM

I had the same issue w/my 2012 Summit. Turns out the Chrysler installed a bad batch of blower motors into many Grand Cherokees at the factory. :mad:

Many have had these blower motors fail or have a high pitched whine due to bad motor bearings. My dealer replaced my blower motor under warrantee...... said it was a common problem and that they regularly stock new blower motors in parts to do this repair!

Chrysler is aware of this issue and you shouldn't have any problem getting this done under warrantee. :thumbsup:

ljramsey 01-10-2014 08:51 AM

I have an appointment scheduled for Jan 20th, the soonest it fit my schedule. Hopefully I will have luck with the service bulletin or them fixing a known problem. With 55,000 miles I am not too optimistic for a warranty repair. Oh well, such is life and the cost of ownership.

rs153719 01-15-2014 08:45 PM

I spoke with my local jeep dealer about the service bulletin and they were going to charge $600 to have it done… good luck
I can hear a little noise but its not supper noticeable… not worth $600 to fix yet

MICHIWK2 01-16-2014 09:19 AM

Glad i checked into this... I have an '11 Limited WK2 and have experienced the same thing... even had it quite working on me last summer. pulled the fuse, threw it back in and since then had noticed the whining... will be mentioning this to the dealer when i take it in for an oil change.

69,xxx miles.