Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2011+ Dodge Durango-WD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/)
-   -   Looking to buy a 2014 RT or... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/looking-to-buy-a-2014-rt-or-70186.html)

rszwestko 01-09-2014 01:51 PM

Looking to buy a 2014 RT or...
 
Hey everyone,
It seems like i've been here couple of years ago but in the JGC forum looking for some advice when buying my last car. I was cross-shopping between a JGC and Infiniti FX, went with the FX and now that my lease is coming to an end I am looking for a replacement. I've looked at the following, JGC, VW Touareg, Infiniti JX, Lexus GX, BMW x5, Audi Q7. Considering all the pros-cons i was impressed with the Touareg and Durango RT. As much as I love the other cars these two are the "coolest", for me at least. I would probably buy the car this time around but I am little skeptical of the quality, especially reading all the horror problems from the 2014JGC forums. Is the Durango immune to the issues others are having? I am pretty sure they share a lot of electronics and other parts.
I also noticed that I would have to do a factory order since no one stocks a fully loaded RT with my color choices, whats the average build-wait time? I guess I just need you guys to sway me toward the Durango, so far I love the looks and the utility, I would love to hear what other cars you considered before the Durango and what made you get it instead of competition.
Thanks for reading.

vertrkr 01-09-2014 02:03 PM

Re: Looking to buy a 2014 RT or...
 
No horror stories for the Durango like you've read about for the GC. This is because most of the issues have been resolved before the Durango went into production as they share most of the same parts.

I looked at about the same cars as you plus the MB GL350. If I could do it all over again now I'd still buy the Durango.

Ordering should take about a month.

ufokillerz 01-09-2014 02:27 PM

Re: Looking to buy a 2014 RT or...
 
no horror stories yet, or not much because the durango doesn't sell in the quantity as the jgc. you also don't have the same base of people buying the durangos.
That said, i considered many different cars, and ended up with the durango.

rszwestko 01-09-2014 02:37 PM

Re: Looking to buy a 2014 RT or...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ufokillerz (Post 957165)
no horror stories yet, or not much because the durango doesn't sell in the quantity as the jgc. you also don't have the same base of people buying the durangos.
That said, i considered many different cars, and ended up with the durango.

Thanks for the reply, I see you are on the Island, I am in Queens could you recommend a good local dealer?
Thanks.

davewg 01-09-2014 03:54 PM

Re: Looking to buy a 2014 RT or...
 
Our only other serious contender was the GMC Acadia. Test drove an Explorer and my wife and I both disliked it.

The rest of your options get expensive in a hurry with the same level of equipment you'll get in the Durango which is why they were not on our list. We also wanted towing capacity higher than what most of those other options will provide.

We went Durango partly because our deal on the '14 was better than we could get close to on a '13 Acadia.

Good luck.

ufokillerz 01-09-2014 10:55 PM

Re: Looking to buy a 2014 RT or...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rszwestko (Post 957170)
Thanks for the reply, I see you are on the Island, I am in Queens could you recommend a good local dealer?
Thanks.

honestly most people here would say drive to virginia or one of the other ones that are 4-6 hrs out. I drove to baker in nj, they have pretty good customer service.

if you are looking for a good price, you HAVE to go far. i got 1% under invoice + the 1k cash with my affiliate control number. Mainly because they had the 2nd row bench i wanted.

rszwestko 01-10-2014 08:12 AM

Re: Looking to buy a 2014 RT or...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ufokillerz (Post 957447)
honestly most people here would say drive to virginia or one of the other ones that are 4-6 hrs out. I drove to baker in nj, they have pretty good customer service.

if you are looking for a good price, you HAVE to go far. i got 1% under invoice + the 1k cash with my affiliate control number. Mainly because they had the 2nd row bench i wanted.

The price you've got is fair (i think) and I would be willing to pay that, if I had time to travel I would definitely make a trip to save few bucks, but thats not so easy having two kids and a full time job.
I am looking at the same setup with 2nd row bench, the only option I am still unsure of is the monitors in the back, at $1700 I can probably buy 2 iPads every 3 years for the next 6 years and still be ahead. Not really sure its worth the money.

Where are you planning to service your truck? I heard good things about Eastchester in the Bronx, that dealer offers loaners if you bought the car from them but I have to research their overall quality. Hopefully I won't have to use them for too many service calls.

mcfarl58 01-10-2014 09:04 AM

Re: Looking to buy a 2014 RT or...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rszwestko (Post 957546)
The price you've got is fair (i think) and I would be willing to pay that, if I had time to travel I would definitely make a trip to save few bucks, but thats not so easy having two kids and a full time job.
I am looking at the same setup with 2nd row bench, the only option I am still unsure of is the monitors in the back, at $1700 I can probably buy 2 iPads every 3 years for the next 6 years and still be ahead. Not really sure its worth the money.

That was my thinking as well. Buy iPads instead. Also, the affiliate pricing is 1% under invoice and then you subtract incentives from that price. If you're able to find an employee, ask them to give you a CDI (Certain Designated Individual) number. That will allow you to get the full employee price discount (up to 5% below invoice) and it'll save you even more. Employees can only give out 1 per year of a CDI though.

rszwestko 01-10-2014 10:00 AM

Re: Looking to buy a 2014 RT or...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcfarl58 (Post 957556)
That was my thinking as well. Buy iPads instead. Also, the affiliate pricing is 1% under invoice and then you subtract incentives from that price. If you're able to find an employee, ask them to give you a CDI (Certain Designated Individual) number. That will allow you to get the full employee price discount (up to 5% below invoice) and it'll save you even more. Employees can only give out 1 per year of a CDI though.

Since you looked at the competition, would you mind telling me why you choose the Durango as opposed to lets say MB? I know price is the biggest factor, but what about overall build quality? do you feel its the same or close to the competition. I've never owned an american (italian) car before, maybe except 86 Taurus but those were the college days. I am just afraid to "dive in" if you know what I mean.

mcfarl58 01-10-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rszwestko (Post 957573)

Since you looked at the competition, would you mind telling me why you choose the Durango as opposed to lets say MB? I know price is the biggest factor, but what about overall build quality? do you feel its the same or close to the competition. I've never owned an american (italian) car before, maybe except 86 Taurus but those were the college days. I am just afraid to "dive in" if you know what I mean.

Price and employee discount from family member. Also, quality is there with the new American cars. The components in my Durango are very similar to what are in German cars like MB. The transmission (ZF) is currently used by tons of manufacturers including maserati, bmw, Mercedes, and rolls Royce

rszwestko 01-10-2014 12:56 PM

Re: Looking to buy a 2014 RT or...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcfarl58 (Post 957617)
Price and employee discount from family member. Also, quality is there with the new American cars. The components in my Durango are very similar to what are in German cars like MB. The transmission (ZF) is currently used by tons of manufacturers including maserati, bmw, Mercedes, and rolls Royce

Thanks, now i just have to find someone who works for chrysler :)

davewg 01-10-2014 01:03 PM

Re: Looking to buy a 2014 RT or...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rszwestko (Post 957648)
Thanks, now i just have to find someone who works for chrysler :)

Do a search here for affiliate programs. There are groups you can join for a nominal fee that are considered affiliates of Chrysler. You'll get access to the 1% below invoice that a dealer can charge.

I think several folks on here joined Tread Lightly just for this reason
Tread Lightly – Individual


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community