Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Missing Display, Recall Notice and Airbag Codes... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/missing-display-recall-notice-and-airbag-codes-70229.html)

camtah 01-10-2014 08:06 PM

Missing Display, Recall Notice and Airbag Codes...
 
:( Well it was fun while it lasted...

Our 2014 Summit was almost perfect since birth..Well, OK it had a glitch or two in the lane departure warning that cleared up on it's own.

Alas, Yesterday after the bitter cold weather we have been having, the wife decided to the run some errands. As she was backing out of the garage into the driveway, the gauge cluster went blank. Pulled back into the drive, restarted and all was well again..

So as luck would have it, we were able to get into the dealer today to have the Recall Notice for this issue to be handled. We dropped off the vehicle and 2 hours later it was available to be picked up.

The wife was smiling as the white steed came around the corner, fresh from a warm winters bath. The white body and chrome glimmering under the lot lights. The winter grime had taken it's toll and we forgot how truly brilliant this looked when it is dressed for a night on the town...

But the smile quickly turned to a frown as the porter relinquished the driver's seat. An unfamiliar icon was crying out for attention from the information Pod..

WTF, An Airbag Warning ????

Yes, there in all it's glory was the simple, yet painfully obvious Air Bag warning.. How could they not see this I muttered to myself.

So back into the garage with the SA in tow to see what hath broken..Yes, a cryptic code had emerged..a clue pointing to an issue with an air bag sensor in the B pillar.. Visions of a waterfall from the Sunroof suddenly emerged into my conscience as a involuntary shudder cursed thru my body. I quickly shook off this thought and proceeded to ascertain our current strategy.

(sigh)..We were heartbroken as we had to leave our beloved Summit behind. Visiting hours were over...

My wife mutter under breath that this is the start of that slippery slope to oblivion. I think that the English translation for this was 'POS'

Barely 5K miles, so young and full of life..We hardly knew ya ;)

Stay tuned...

Chunderboy 01-11-2014 10:50 AM

First off, hope that stuff gets resolved quickly. Secondly, have you ever considered a career in writing?

bill_de 01-11-2014 10:55 AM

Re: Missing Display, Recall Notice and Airbag Codes...
 
To make the seat belt warning disappear ... put your seatbelt on. :D

I hope the real issue is resolved quickly.


---

hotspur 01-11-2014 12:01 PM

Re: Missing Display, Recall Notice and Airbag Codes...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by camtah (Post 957875)
:( Well it was fun while it lasted...

Our 2014 Summit was almost perfect since birth..Well, OK it had a glitch or two in the lane departure warning that cleared up on it's own.

The 2014 has a permanent "glitch" in the lane departure warning. It's not a feature on the car. It does, however, have blind spot monitoring, and I suspect that's what you meant.

Northland 01-12-2014 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunderboy (Post 958076)
First off, hope that stuff gets resolved quickly. Secondly, have you ever considered a career in writing?

To the OP - I agree with this; great writing style, but the improper use of "it's" (you used the contraction of "it is" v. the possessive "its" three times) is very distracting.

camtah 01-12-2014 02:41 PM

Re: Missing Display, Recall Notice and Airbag Codes...
 
Update:

The dealer re-flashed the Recall firmware and the Airbag warning is still active, so another day without the Jeep. I don't believe the firmware update triggered this. I suspect the car wash (leak from sunroof drain maybe?) caused something in the Air Bag B-pillar to react in a negative manner.

As for my writing style, I appreciate the comments and corrections. I am not the worlds most gifted typist or even a linguistics expert. In fact I never took any typing classes or instruction at all. I was taught English when Johnson (Lyndon, not Andrew) was President and even then I was too young to remember what I was being taught.

Stay tuned...

camtah 01-12-2014 02:58 PM

Re: Missing Display, Recall Notice and Airbag Codes...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotspur (Post 958104)
The 2014 has a permanent "glitch" in the lane departure warning. It's not a feature on the car. It does, however, have blind spot monitoring, and I suspect that's what you meant.

Hmmm.. So that's why I drove off the road. ;)

I guess I expected the Lane Departure Warning "slap to the side of the head" to come out of the B-Pillar when I drifted outside my designated lane assignment. All this time it was really my wife hitting me. Thanks for the correction...

As for the Blind Spot Monitoring system, I can then assume that I won't be seeing a 15 million candlepower light dropping from the sun shade burning my retina and measuring any lane drift that may suddenly occur?

I guess I don't understand all these safety features :rolleyes:

camtah 01-13-2014 04:43 PM

Re: Missing Display, Recall Notice and Airbag Codes...
 
Update II:

If this wasn't so sad it would be funny. We received a call from the dealer that our Summit was ready for pickup. It appears that the Airbag warning was a loose connector on the B-pillar and it needed to be plugged in :rolleyes:

So we asked if they could perform the first oil change while they had it. Not a problem, it would be taken care of.

Just received another call that the car will NOT be ready. It seems that the oil filter (5.7) was screwed on extremely tight from the factory and when they finally got it off, the adapter nipple into the block came out with it. The tried to fix it (not sure how) but after the replacement filter was installed and a refill of oil, guess what poured out of the filter area. :eek:

I surely hope there isn't a crack around the filter base. They stated would should probably keep the rental car another day...

So the recall fix that takes 2 hours is turning into 5 days...

Stay Tuned....

lstowell 01-13-2014 06:19 PM

Re: Missing Display, Recall Notice and Airbag Codes...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by camtah (Post 959249)
Update II:

If this wasn't so sad it would be funny. We received a call from the dealer that our Summit was ready for pickup. It appears that the Airbag warning was a loose connector on the B-pillar and it needed to be plugged in :rolleyes:

So we asked if they could perform the first oil change while they had it. Not a problem, it would be taken care of.

Just received another call that the car will NOT be ready. It seems that the oil filter (5.7) was screwed on extremely tight from the factory and when they finally got it off, the adapter nipple into the block came out with it. The tried to fix it (not sure how) but after the replacement filter was installed and a refill of oil, guess what poured out of the filter area. :eek:

I surely hope there isn't a crack around the filter base. They stated would should probably keep the rental car another day...

So the recall fix that takes 2 hours is turning into 5 days...

Stay Tuned....

Call me a grouchy, picky, old man, but first the tech didn't notice something as potentially serious as an air bag warning light? Then they screw up a simple oil and filter change and blame it on the factory? [ok, it COULD have been the factory-but well......]

Sounds like on your next trip to that dealer you need to take a clue bat--or make your next trip to that dealer a farewell tour if there's another in the area.

2014falcon 01-13-2014 06:56 PM

Re: Missing Display, Recall Notice and Airbag Codes...
 
I took the filter off my 5.7 when it reached 500 miles, and the damn thing was on really tight. It took a while and 2 different oil filter wrenches to remove it. I was about to give up, and it finally loosened.

It had "factory installed" on the filter.

Chunderboy 01-13-2014 08:25 PM

If there is a crack around the filter base, what would need to be replace? Would it just be the filter base or something much bigger?

camtah 01-13-2014 09:00 PM

Re: Missing Display, Recall Notice and Airbag Codes...
 
After doing some internet surfing it seems the filter tightness has been seen on a few other V8. The prevailing thought is that the thread nipple mounted in the block is not screwed in all the way initially and they are cranking down on the filter to seal it up against the mounting surface. If this is the case and they need a new nipple, then I hope the hole isn't cross-threaded. I sure hope the engine factory is not installing the nipple in the oil filter first and then cranking the filter on while the nipple gets threaded into the block. The they crank on it extremely tight to keep it from leaking..I doubt it but it would be one way to explain why the filters are on so tight.

As for the dealer, this is not the place I purchased from but it is the one that is closest to our home. I figured that the firmware update for the recall was easy enough that i didn't have to drive 30 miles further. I normally do my own oil change, but I am glad this happened to them so it's documented.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community