Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Starting any gear other than first or drive (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/starting-any-gear-other-than-first-or-drive-70252.html)

Chunderboy 01-11-2014 03:07 PM

If I were to put the car in third gear, is that similar to driving a car in 3rd gear on a manual transmission?

Just curious.

Also, during what occasion is a better to start driving the car in a higher gear?

bill_de 01-11-2014 04:26 PM

Re: Starting any gear other than first or drive

Snow mode automatically starts off in 2nd gear.

___

Chunderboy 01-11-2014 04:27 PM

Since I have the laredo I don't have the select track. So, starting it off in second would have the same effect (almost)?

bill_de 01-11-2014 04:33 PM

Driving a standard shift (many, many, many :) ) years ago, I was taught to start in 2nd gear in snow or on ice. It helps reduce initial acceleration, therefore less slipping.

-_-

Chunderboy 01-11-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 958236)
Driving a standard shift (many, many, many :) ) years ago, I was taught to start in 2nd gear in snow or on ice. It helps reduce initial acceleration, therefore less slipping.

-_-

And that my friend, is the answer that I was looking for.

2012 Summit 01-11-2014 06:07 PM

I believe if you put your GC's gear selector in 3rd gear it will start out in 1st gear, but will not shift beyond 3rd under normal circumstances.

Chunderboy 01-11-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012 Summit (Post 958258)
I believe if you put your GC's gear selector in 3rd gear it will start out in 1st gear, but will not shift beyond 3rd under normal circumstances.

Yeah, I just did a trial run, and there is no difference in throttle response between having it in drive or having it in 2nd gear.

LTrainGC 01-11-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012 Summit (Post 958258)

This is correct. From WK2Jeeps:

Electronic Range Select (ERS) Operation

The Electronic Range Select (ERS) shift control allows you to move the shifter left (-) or right (+) when the shifter is in the D (Drive) position, allowing the selection of the desired top gear. For example, if the driver shifts the transmission into 3 (third gear), the transmission will never shift above third gear, but can shift down to 2 (second) or 1 (first), when needed.

NOTE: To select the proper gear position for maximum deceleration (engine braking), move the shift lever to the left "D(-)" and hold it there. The transmission will shift to the range from which the vehicle can best be slowed down.

bill_de 01-11-2014 06:39 PM

On the '14 you can use the paddle shifters to start out in 2nd gear.

Sure glad I waited. :lol:

"You can start out, from a stop, in first or second gear
(or third gear, in 4LO range, Snow mode, or Sand
mode). Tapping (+) at a stop will allow starting in
second gear. Starting out in second gear is helpful in
snowy or icy conditions.

---

Chunderboy 01-11-2014 06:42 PM

Man, always the bridesmaid and never the bride. Too bad I can't do the same which my 13

2012 Summit 01-12-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 958270)
On the '14 you can use the paddle shifters to start out in 2nd gear.

Sure glad I waited. :lol:

"You can start out, from a stop, in first or second gear
(or third gear, in 4LO range, Snow mode, or Sand
mode). Tapping (+) at a stop will allow starting in
second gear. Starting out in second gear is helpful in
snowy or icy conditions.

---

Stop rubbing it in, Bill. :) Some of us who didn't wait for the 2014's have to use snow mode if we want any hope of starting out in 2nd gear.