Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Run Flat Tyre Punctured - Advice? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/run-flat-tyre-punctured-advice-70268.html)

jmone 01-12-2014 01:51 AM

Run Flat Tyre Punctured - Advice?

I've just had a screw go through one of the Run Flats. :mad: I can now confirm the tire pressure warning system works. Couple of Q's,
- Can they be repaired as per a normal tyre?
- Can I leave it overnight then drive to a local tyre dealer
- Anything else?

....also - I had just installed a Diablo Tune (93ron) and was about to take it out for it's first test run :(

Thanks
Nathan

jmone 01-12-2014 03:21 AM

Re: Run Flat Tyre Punctured - Advice?

...ahhh decided to put the spare 18" "Space Saver" on, but according to the sticker on it, these can only go on the back (and of course it was a Front Tyre with the puncture).

Cage 01-12-2014 04:51 AM

Take the back one off and put it on the front then put the saver n the back.painin the arse but it is the only way to do it

DCRSRT 01-12-2014 04:57 AM

Yep, coz the spare wont fit over the Brembo probably.

JohnS 01-12-2014 08:55 AM

It can be repaired depending on the location of the puncture.

I had a puncture in the tread of one of my run flats back in the summer. The tire store repaired the tire using a plug & patch, and all seems well after a couple of months of driving.

MAXGroup 01-12-2014 09:53 AM

How fast do you drive?
What kind of roads?

If you constantly get closer to 100 mph then to 60 don't fix the tire.

Tires are the single most important safety factor after brakes. On a performance oriented car I would not save on tires.

lillyjas 01-12-2014 12:46 PM

Had a BMW with run flats. They said they would patch it but wanted you to sign a waiver. So I would just buy a new one. Sucks but part of cost of ownership I guess

SRTBLK 01-12-2014 02:08 PM

don't even bother with the spare. i took it out and put it in the closet right away. they are called run flats for a reason. i've driven 50 miles on my run flats with a puncture in the side wall and made it fine to my destination before replacing it. also, i wouldn't want to take a chance with plug and patch, not worth the risk the way i drive.

jmone 01-12-2014 06:51 PM

Thanks for the advice. Spoke to the local Jeep Service Centre who just said repair them, so after $40 of plugs I'll see how they go. I don't like the ride of these run flats anyway so at some point they are going anyway and are a bit pointless when you have a spare IMO.

A-kon 01-13-2014 04:50 PM

I have a patch on one tire and a plug in the other. Where I live/work I'll go broke buying new tires every time I get a nail. There is constant construction in my neighborhood and I work in an industrial area.

Hopefully they hold up. Being run flats I don't envision a catastrophic blowout being likely.