Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Do you find yourself having to make a lot of slight steering corrections? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/do-you-find-yourself-having-to-make-a-lot-of-slight-steering-corrections-70284.html)

ucla95 01-12-2014 10:26 AM

Do you find yourself having to make a lot of slight steering corrections?

I find myself having to make a lot of very slight steering corrections to stay in a lane. It's subtle but gets annoying over a 2hr drive. Not sure if this is just part of the SUV or someone that's wrong with mine (what would the culprit be if so?).

2014 JGC 4x4 V6 - November build.

jacko15 01-12-2014 10:36 AM

Re: Do you find yourself having to make a lot of slight steering corrections?

Mine holds a line very well on the interstate. Can't say it's much different than any other SUV I've driven.

crabman 01-12-2014 11:20 AM

Nope, tracks fine for a car of its type in my own experience. Not sure why you would be seeing something out of the norm but I am wondering if you are when you describe it as tiring to drive. The only culprits I have off the top of my head are alignment and tire pressure. The latter would be a pretty obvious first stop if you feel you may have something going on.

JMP8562 01-12-2014 11:33 AM

I have noticed the same. I thought that it was just me and getting use to a new Jeep. My last Jeep (07 JK) w/33" KM2s seened to track a lot better :confused:

jeepinAl 01-12-2014 11:51 AM

Don't know if this is what you mean, but maybe because the steering is very "light" and easy to turn...maybe too easy to turn? I still go back and forth between driving my 01 Cherokee and my '14 Grand V6 and its a completely different feel.

The "heavier" feel 01 Cherokee stays on track, but I do find the '14 Grand moves on every slight turn of the steering wheel. And at higher speeds ( well above the speed limit... don't speed kids), the '14 grand is far too easy to turn and I find it almost "crazy easy".

But if you're talking slight corrections at normal driving speeds, mine does just fine ( V6, non QL, August build)

Al

bill_de 01-12-2014 11:58 AM

That was my complaint with my '11 MDX. It seemed to follow every dip in the road. After a while I got used to it. By comparison the Jeep seems comfortably tight.

Do check your tire pressure.

---

JMP8562 01-12-2014 12:25 PM

That is it ! (the steering is very "light" and easy to turn...maybe too easy to turn ) So back to my original thought, "Got to get ues to it"

oxman 01-12-2014 12:27 PM

I too have some concerns with the steering. I have always found that the steering does not have good feel. I have to concentrate to steer on the highway. This occurs with the OEM latitudes as well as with winter x-ice 2 tires. I have a 2012 Limited. I recently drove 400 miles on highways with snow, too much concentration was required.

I know this is an apple to oranges comparison, but my BMW has telepathic steering.

This is my first all wheel drive and first vehicle with electric power steering.

bill_de 01-12-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxman (Post 958589)
This is my first all wheel drive and first vehicle with electric power steering.

FYI - You have hydraulic power steering. The difference is that the pump is driven by an electric motor rather than a drive belt.

---

GCLimited 01-12-2014 01:11 PM

Only in cross-winds.

You'd think a vehicle as heavy as the GC wouldn't have this issue as much.

WK2OverlandII 01-12-2014 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucla95 (Post 958526)
I find myself having to make a lot of very slight steering corrections to stay in a lane. It's subtle but gets annoying over a 2hr drive. Not sure if this is just part of the SUV or someone that's wrong with mine (what would the culprit be if so?).

2014 JGC 4x4 V6 - November build.

I also have a November build with no issues..... If you haven't checked the tire pressure I would do that first. If that doesn't correct it...I would make an appointment to have the alignment checked with the dealer. In the past with previous Chrysler vehicles I've had if you asked for an alignment check (tell them its out or its pulling right/left) within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles they would pay for it...just my experience. Tell them if it is out you want them to reset it, to the "preferred setting" not the factory setting. The factory setting will cause the vehicle to pull to the right very, very slightly over a long straight distance for safety reasons. If you set it to the preferred setting it will track true or straight ahead.:thumbsup:

mswlogo 01-12-2014 03:30 PM

Mine tracks good. Don't even think about it. When we first got our 2002 GC we had trouble. Never had anything done and eventually got used to it. Coming from that, anything might feel good :)

You might get alignment checked. Incorrect toe can make it hyper sensitive.