Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   How Much Can I Tow? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/how-much-can-i-tow-70287.html)

Dirtsaver 01-12-2014 11:14 AM

How Much Can I Tow?

I hope I'm in the right category for this question. I have a 2012 GC Limited with the 5.7 Hemi. It did not come with the factory tow package. The dealer can install the factory Class IV hitch but my questions are 1) what did I not get in the way of tranny cooler, radiator, brakes and other items included with the factory tow package, and 2) How much travel trailer weight can I comfortably tow? Thanks for any advice.

xJoshxx 01-12-2014 11:42 AM

Re: How Much Can I Tow?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtsaver (Post 958555)
I hope I'm in the right category for this question. I have a 2012 GC Limited with the 5.7 Hemi. It did not come with the factory tow package. The dealer can install the factory Class IV hitch but my questions are 1) what did I not get in the way of tranny cooler, radiator, brakes and other items included with the factory tow package, and 2) How much travel trailer weight can I comfortably tow? Thanks for any advice.

TRAILER TOW GROUP IV (AHX) included with AWY (MSRP $795 / INV. $ 708) with AWL: (MSRP $645 / INV. $ 574)
220 Amp Alternator (BAJ)
7 and 4 Pin Wiring Harness (XF2)
Class IV Receiver Hitch (XFH)
Delete Rear Tow Hook (XC8)
Full Size Spare Tire (TBB)
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling (NMC)
Rear Load Leveling Suspension (SES)
Steel Spare Wheel (WLB)

You already have the bigger brakes by default having the Hemi. But this is what the package includes.

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - All-new 2011 Grand Cherokee

Dirtsaver 01-12-2014 12:02 PM

Thank you very much Josh. This is very helpful. It looks like if I have the dealer install the wiring harness and hitch (which they have quoted me $644 parts and labor) all I'll need or can reasonably add is the full size spare wheel and tire. I will have to accept the lower alternator output and cooling (as I understand it there is a 1/2 quart difference in coolant capacity). The load leveling will need to be dealt with using a load leveling hitch.

Would this then bring me to the 7,200 pounds capacity?

xJoshxx 01-12-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtsaver (Post 958577)
Thank you very much Josh. This is very helpful. It looks like if I have the dealer install the wiring harness and hitch (which they have quoted me $644 parts and labor) all I'll need or can reasonably add is the full size spare wheel and tire. I will have to accept the lower alternator output and cooling (as I understand it there is a 1/2 quart difference in coolant capacity). The load leveling will need to be dealt with using a load leveling hitch.

Would this then bring me to the 7,200 pounds capacity?

The heavy duty engine cooling includes a Water cooled oil cooler also and you are missing the load leveling shocks unless you got Quadra-Lift

Dirtsaver 01-12-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xJoshxx (Post 958587)
The heavy duty engine cooling includes a Water cooled oil cooler also and you are missing the load leveling shocks unless you got Quadra-Lift

I did not get the Quadra-Lift but I think I can deal with this with a load leveling hitch.

I noted in the link you provided that the 5.7 comes with the 14.5 quart capacity cooling rather than the 14 quart capacity. I'm wondering if that extra 1/2 quart is the water cooled oil cooler?

I believe the instrument readout for engine oil temp, water temp and transmission fluid temp will be a great asset when I'm towing. At least I'll know if I'm starting to overheat the transmission.

xJoshxx 01-12-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtsaver (Post 958634)
I did not get the Quadra-Lift but I think I can deal with this with a load leveling hitch.

I noted in the link you provided that the 5.7 comes with the 14.5 quart capacity cooling rather than the 14 quart capacity. I'm wondering if that extra 1/2 quart is the water cooled oil cooler?

I believe the instrument readout for engine oil temp, water temp and transmission fluid temp will be a great asset when I'm towing. At least I'll know if I'm starting to overheat the transmission.

I agree you will be fine Just letting know what the package includes! :thumbsup: