Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Popping rear window with the FOB/Door Button (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/popping-rear-window-with-the-fob-door-button-70349.html)

brentwoodkris 01-13-2014 05:19 PM

Popping rear window with the FOB/Door Button

So call me crazy if you'd like, but this is my 3rd Jeep, all Grand Cherokees of various generations (but none have been new). I had just assumed that when you went to "pop" the rear window by double clicking the FOB or by hitting the rear window release, that the window was meant to "pop" open a bit and you were supposed to lift it the rest of the way.

:violin:Well I had never personally seen/heard about these windows opening themselves to fully open after the initial "pop" until reading some posts on Amazon when I realized that I needed to replace the support struts on my rear glass. Did some research and the reviews said by replacing with the StrongArm piston replacements, the rear glass would open on it's own after the "pop!" So naturally I found a good deal on the StrongArms's and did the super quick install (<5min).

:sleepy: TL/DR - Wow do I feel stupid having been in the Jeep GC family for so long and having never knew this feature existed! :banghead: I'm in love! :thumbsup: Just posting this for any naive others, who like myself, had no clue that the rear window could open itself! (makes loading groceries/small stuff MUCH easier with hands full)

DAVY27 01-13-2014 11:59 PM

Re: Popping rear window with the FOB/Door Button

better late than never :lol:

I do wish we have the power liftgate

brentwoodkris 01-14-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVY27 (Post 959463)
better late than never :lol:

I do wish we have the power liftgate

Yeah no kidding, that would be nice. My Dad's loaded WK2 Limited has all those nice features...makes me envious! :(

PTee 01-16-2014 01:10 PM

I got my 2010 a month ago and it popped open the first time I did it at the dealer. Since, less than half the time. Sometimes if I pop it from inside, and won't pop open, when I shut my door the jarring pops it all the way up. Definitely handier when it comes all the way open. What was your cost on replacing them if you don't mind ?

brentwoodkris 01-16-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTee (Post 960688)
I got my 2010 a month ago and it popped open the first time I did it at the dealer. Since, less than half the time. Sometimes if I pop it from inside, and won't pop open, when I shut my door the jarring pops it all the way up. Definitely handier when it comes all the way open. What was your cost on replacing them if you don't mind ?

~$33 shipped 2nd day on Amazon. IMHO, StrongArm makes the best OE-type replacements and they perform just as well in cold weather as the OEM ones do in optimal weather. :thumbsup:

Here's a link to the one's I bought (x2): StrongArm 6601 Jeep Grand Cherokee Glass Lift Support, Pack of 1 : Amazon.com : Automotive

PTee 01-16-2014 02:45 PM

Great, thanks

brentwoodkris 01-16-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTee (Post 960730)
Great, thanks

No problem bud, anytime. :thumbsup:

DAVY27 01-16-2014 04:22 PM

ty for the link sir! Need to replace mine once weather gets better!

brentwoodkris 01-16-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVY27 (Post 960771)
ty for the link sir! Need to replace mine once weather gets better!

No need for better weather, just need a flathead screwdriver and 5 minutes to do the swap. I did mine outside, with 5+ inches of snow on the ground...

BlackN'Blue 01-16-2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentwoodkris (Post 960781)
No need for better weather, just need a flathead screwdriver and 5 minutes to do the swap. I did mine outside, with 5+ inches of snow on the ground...

Is that link for the WK. Wondering if it will fit on my 08.

brentwoodkris 01-16-2014 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackN'Blue (Post 960811)
Is that link for the WK. Wondering if it will fit on my 08.

Yes it's the link for the WK. To my knowledge they didn't change the design of the struts or the liftglass across all WK years, but for reference, I used StrongArm's part finder. They don't list the 05 as I believe the export of the WK, called the WH, wasn't exported during all of the years. See attachment for details from the part finder.

BlackN'Blue 01-16-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentwoodkris (Post 960816)
Yes it's the link for the WK. To my knowledge they didn't change the design of the struts or the liftglass across all WK years, but for reference, I used StrongArm's part finder. They don't list the 05 as I believe the export of the WK, called the WH, wasn't exported during all of the years. See attachment for details from the part finder.

Thanks! I actually never knew they were supposed to come all the way up. Learn something new everyday.