Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Question for Those with the Towing Package: Does the Receiver Come With It? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/question-for-those-with-the-towing-package-does-the-receiver-come-with-it-70351.html)

fun2drive 01-13-2014 05:59 PM

Question for Those with the Towing Package: Does the Receiver Come With It?

My JGC diesel arrives in a few days. I wanted to know if you get a receiver with the hitch?
My new Outback came with one and if the JGC does as well then I don't need to buy another one.
Thanks and I have been unable to find this info out anyplace...

robtminor 01-13-2014 07:38 PM

Re: Question for Those with the Towing Package: Does the Receiver Come With It?

The tow package on mine came without a ball mount. The receiver comes attached to the vehicle.

2014GC 01-13-2014 08:07 PM

Ditto !

Jim_in_PA 01-13-2014 08:14 PM

The receiver is very much part of the tow package since it's integral with the vehicle frame.

As others have mentioned, things like ball mounts and balls are not included because everyone's needs are different. The ball mount need to have the correct drop/rise to match the required ball height for a given trailer to be level.

WK2OverlandII 01-13-2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun2drive (Post 959285)
My JGC diesel arrives in a few days. I wanted to know if you get a receiver with the hitch?
My new Outback came with one and if the JGC does as well then I don't need to buy another one.
Thanks and I have been unable to find this info out anyplace...

The reciver on the JGC are 2".......was your out back a 2"? some of them I know are the smaller 1 1/4" recievers so you may want to verify that it will work.

fun2drive 01-13-2014 08:51 PM

Thanks all.
I saw someone who carved out some foam in their spare tire caddy for a 2" with ball. I like that idea and will do that. My Outback was factory at 1 1/4" but I have a couple 2" with ball to use on the JGC. I plan to order the D ring with receiver hitch here
Solid Shank Shackle D Ring Receiver Hitch with 5 8" Hitch Pin Lock | eBay
as I do use mine to pull a lot of tourists out of the sand down here...

Bigadventure 01-13-2014 09:02 PM

The hitch is a 2" square with a 5/8 pin on the Jeeps, Class 4 hitch. Jeep requires a weight distribution hitch.

Setting these up is kinda a black art. Jeep Dealer don't know how to do it. Most RV dealers don't know how to do it right. But, you can figure it out if you google it. You have to use a weight scale to get it right.
I have a call into Jeep right now about there air ride, load leveling stuff. I don't want the spring bars fighting with the load leveling. The owners manual dosn't go over how to turn the air ride off to set it up.

WK2OverlandII 01-13-2014 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fun2drive (Post 959370)
Thanks all.
I saw someone who carved out some foam in their spare tire caddy for a 2" with ball. I like that idea and will do that. My Outback was factory at 1 1/4" but I have a couple 2" with ball to use on the JGC. I plan to order the D ring with receiver hitch here
Solid Shank Shackle D Ring Receiver Hitch with 5 8" Hitch Pin Lock | eBay
as I do use mine to pull a lot of tourists out of the sand down here...

LOL...thats hilarious...I have one on my Jeep right now

fun2drive 01-13-2014 09:26 PM

Tourists here seem to think they can just drive off the road a little bit and be OK. Where I live I have pulled a lot of them out of the sand using my LC with tow hooks.

I think the D ring will be a sweet set up for this application...

Hammerhead 01-13-2014 10:48 PM

Most of the time, any 2WD vehicle does OK on the ocean beaches near the Columbia River.

I've only had the pleasure of pullling one person out of the sand who forgot to put his in 4WD before parking in the soft sand up against the grass-covered dunes.

Rewind23 01-14-2014 10:01 AM

Speaking of towing, I just bought my 2014 GC 3.6 V6 with the towing package. Just curious if anyone has towed with theirs and how it performed?

Medpilot 01-14-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rewind23 (Post 959624)
Speaking of towing, I just bought my 2014 GC 3.6 V6 with the towing package. Just curious if anyone has towed with theirs and how it performed?

I just did some towing for the fist time with my 14' 3.6.

I have a little Kendon dual motorcycle trailer, probably weighs about 400~ pounds empty. With two dirt bikes I was probably at around at around 900-1000lbs.

I could definitely feel the extra weight, but it wasn't bad. I'd say I took about 2-3mpg hit on fuel economy. Once I was up to speed, I didn't even notice the extra load.