Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Forged motor? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/forged-motor-70359.html)

14StormTrooper 01-13-2014 08:30 PM

Forged motor?

Ones anyone know if our motors are forged? I tried looking for this info on wk2jeeps.com but could not find it so I am hoping one of you knows. Thanks!

A.V.GCSRT8 01-13-2014 08:33 PM

Re: Forged motor?

no they are not. That's why we keep hearing about ringlands breaking under boost

SRTgeek 01-14-2014 12:27 AM

Sadly no, they're not. It is possible but it's not cheap.. but in doing so you could make it quite strong, which makes it easier to boost when the time comes. Crank, rods, pistons

Damn it, now I need a cold shower.

I can't freaking wait for the Hellcat Challenger.

forza 01-14-2014 08:22 AM

Crank is fine. Rods should be good. It's the pistons that are the problem. But, if your in there already you might as well do the other upgrades as well. Depends on how much you want to push it. Having said that, my engine is headed to Proline Racing Engines for some upgrading.:lol:. No problems with the current setup. I'm just bored and wanting more!:sleepy:

gnasty1521 02-03-2014 05:40 PM

Keep us posted forza! Anyways about the failures... How much boost can a 10.9 compression engine take? Also, have they given all of the tuning tables for the 12-13's yet? I hear they only unlocked partial functions for tuning...

Scottina06 02-03-2014 09:37 PM

Arrington can build you any engine you want through twin turbo creations

peter2772000 02-04-2014 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forza (Post 959592)
Crank is fine. Rods should be good. It's the pistons that are the problem. But, if your in there already you might as well do the other upgrades as well. Depends on how much you want to push it. Having said that, my engine is headed to Proline Racing Engines for some upgrading.:lol:. No problems with the current setup. I'm just bored and wanting more!:sleepy:

The crank must be forged, right? Rods I wouldn't even guess, but I can't believe they'd put anything less than a forged crank in these beasts.

By the way Forza. Do you even remember the colour of your truck. Do you refresh your memory every time the car payment goes thru at the bank LOL?

forza 02-05-2014 10:47 AM

After testing the pistons can only take about 8lbs of boost. Yes, actually sent off OEM pistons to see what they could handle. Trucks paid for Peter, sold all the chickens. I heard they had a run on them in Montreal. :D Also the crank is forged. :thumbsup:

peter2772000 02-05-2014 10:58 AM

LOLOL. Chickens were delicious.

Good on you, bud! :thumbsup:

gnasty1521 02-09-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forza (Post 970858)
After testing the pistons can only take about 8lbs of boost. Yes, actually sent off OEM pistons to see what they could handle. Trucks paid for Peter, sold all the chickens. I heard they had a run on them in Montreal. :D Also the crank is forged. :thumbsup:

So the pistons are the issue for more boost? I thought it was tuning the 10.9:1 compression motor on pump gas creating detonation and heat...

How hard would it be to change out just the pistons? Are we talking a "might as well build a boost engine since it's out", or "yea it's easy, just do it through the oil pan"?

forza 02-09-2014 08:39 PM

There has been a couple of problems with using the 4032 drop-in pistons by one company. There are different theories as to why they are failing, but they look like the OEM pistons when they fail. Melting and cracking. Using the drop-in just changes the material the pistons are made of along with the ringlands. You still have the same compression and heat generated with the OEM's. If you're going to boost, think about you're goals. If you're going to be happy with about 600whp then I would not spend the money on the pistons. Just stay @ or below 7lbs of boost with proper tune and fueling. If you're like me and want more, just spend the extra money and do it right so you don't have to pull the engine again if you want more. Drop the compression, use a 2618 piston(less silcon, can take more abuse, but wears sooner), forged rod H or I, H should be enough for 99% of those who want boost, a custom cam for turbo or supercharger application, proper fueling, and whatever else an engine builder feels is needed like a valve job. A lot of these parts were not available when I started my build, but are being made by more companies now. I'm going to be using CP piston in mine. Hope that answers most of your questions.:thumbsup:

gnasty1521 02-10-2014 03:45 AM

Awesome answer. It seems like prochargers or other, head unit type, superchargers are the way to go due to the extra heat associated with a roots style. Additionally, thanks for being the first and figuring it all out. It will save people some serious heartache later for sure!