Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   14 GC enclosed sub (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/14-gc-enclosed-sub-70361.html)

Slowroll29 01-13-2014 09:27 PM

14 GC enclosed sub

I've been looking for a hidden/enclosed sub for my 14 GC. So far the only one I can find is a jlaudio for $645. Does anyone know where I could find more options and possibly cheaper? Thanks.

YjagetaJeep 01-14-2014 01:53 AM

I've been looking for a long time and the only one I could find to fit the stock location is the JL Audio Steath. Ive seen it sell for $599.00 but thats still pretty expensive.
I think Im going to try a downfiring Pioneer 10" sub and try to camoflage it to look like a stack of blankets. I have the cargo area cover so I'm hoping it will be pretty well hidden. I also considered going to run flat tires which would open up that whole area for something good. But that would cost a lot

kkreit01 01-14-2014 03:29 PM

Re: 14 GC enclosed sub

JL Stealthbox is the only out-of-the-box option. You could have someone build a custom fiberglass enclosure, but it will probably cost more, and your Jeep will be in their shop for days. Another option would be to build upon the OE sub box: add fiberglass, dampening tiles, bedliners, etc. to beef it up, seal it, and add your own driver. You have to tear nearly the whole rear interior apart in order to get at it.

YjagetaJeep 01-14-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 959761)
JL Stealthbox is the only out-of-the-box option. You could have someone build a custom fiberglass enclosure, but it will probably cost more, and your Jeep will be in their shop for days. Another option would be to build upon the OE sub box: add fiberglass, dampening tiles, bedliners, etc. to beef it up, seal it, and add your own driver. You have to tear nearly the whole rear interior apart in order to get at it.

Kkreit...Do you know the best place to pick up the signals to the existing sub? I know the factory amp is behind the left quarter panel somewhere, but that's no easier than getting to the sub woofer assy on the passenger side.

kkreit01 01-14-2014 04:00 PM

^ I have not tore into the Jeep yet. I'm still working on the same awful system in my Ram. The output of the amp, or near the sub would be the only place I can think of. Unfortunately, they are both buried. If you can find the wire somewhere in between, it may be easier to tap there? I'm unsure where/how the wires are ran to the opposite side.

YjagetaJeep 01-14-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 959788)
^ I have not tore into the Jeep yet. I'm still working on the same awful system in my Ram. The output of the amp, or near the sub would be the only place I can think of. Unfortunately, they are both buried. If you can find the wire somewhere in between, it may be easier to tap there? I'm unsure where/how the wires are ran to the opposite side.

I'd even be willing to let a shop do the install, but I haven't found one who's done a GC sub installation...and I don't want to let them work the bugs out on my Overland!

Slowroll29 01-14-2014 09:41 PM

Thanks yall. Has anyone heard the sub from jlaudio? For $600 that thing better be sweeeet! Definitely pricey. I may have to think up something else as well.