Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/)
-   -   opinions on subwoofer setup (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/opinions-on-subwoofer-setup-70434.html)

AUSRA15 01-15-2014 06:05 PM

opinions on subwoofer setup

Hi all, I was hoping I could get some opinions on subwoofer options for my 05 wk. I am leaning towards a single 12" Rockford Fosgate P3. I want to have as much space as possible in the cargo area but also don't want go drop 700 bucks on the jl setup.

Is anyone running a single 12" sub? Sealed box or ported? I really like sealed boxes but I'm kind of worried a single 12" in a sealed box won't be very loud.

Sub is a 12" Rockford P3 DVC 4 ohm 600 watt rms
Amp is a Rockford 500.1 and it shows 689 rms on the birth sheet. Running it at 2 ohm load.

Thanks for any input!

AUSRA15 01-20-2014 03:06 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Well I ended up buying a Rockford fosgate p3 12" and a Rockford r1200.1 amp. Took the jeep all apart and put down 50 sq ft of sound deadener, then cleaned all the carpet and seats while they where out. Ran all my wiring including two sets of 4 gauge power wire to the battery. Mounting the amps inside the cargo tray, had to cut out the base so they would fit.

Attachment 34582

Attachment 34583

Attachment 34584

Attachment 34585

Attachment 34586

Attachment 34587

JHKolb 01-20-2014 05:01 PM

Re: opinions on subwoofer setup

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUSRA15 (Post 960325)
Hi all, I was hoping I could get some opinions on subwoofer options for my 05 wk. I am leaning towards a single 12" Rockford Fosgate P3. I want to have as much space as possible in the cargo area but also don't want go drop 700 bucks on the jl setup.

Is anyone running a single 12" sub? Sealed box or ported? I really like sealed boxes but I'm kind of worried a single 12" in a sealed box won't be very loud.

Sub is a 12" Rockford P3 DVC 4 ohm 600 watt rms
Amp is a Rockford 500.1 and it shows 689 rms on the birth sheet. Running it at 2 ohm load.

Thanks for any input!

I am going with a JL Single 12W3v3 PowerWedge powered with a JL XD600/1 Monoblock sub amp - should be installed next Friday (local shop is doing the install for me).

Almost went for a custom Box with a JL 12W6v3 (leftover) and a JL Slash 600/1V3 but that would have been almost $500 more, though would probably have been a nicer performing sub - not that my ears would likely notice, which is why I went for the PowerWedge box instead.

Now I need to decide if it is worth upgrading the stock speakers with the Kicker upgrade (I can get it pretty cheap form local dealer) or wait and replace with some other aftermarket stuff. Got to weigh the cost vs. benefits.

JHKolb 01-20-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUSRA15 (Post 962692)
Well I ended up buying a Rockford fosgate p3 12" and a Rockford r1200.1 amp. Took the jeep all apart and put down 50 sq ft of sound deadener, then cleaned all the carpet and seats while they where out. Ran all my wiring including two sets of 4 gauge power wire to the battery. Mounting the amps inside the cargo tray, had to cut out the base so they would fit.

Attachment 34582

Attachment 34583

Attachment 34584

Attachment 34585

Attachment 34586

Attachment 34587

:thumbsup: Nice job but too much time/work for me to tackle that big a job myself

AUSRA15 01-20-2014 05:11 PM

Thanks, I spent the weekend doing it. Still not complete but I've been slacking. The amps are mounted and wired, all the sound deadener is done. Just have to finish the cargo floor around the amps and reinstall. Then put the seats back in.

The seats didnt have to come out, I wanted to shampoo my carpet and put deadener in so that's why my install took so long. It will be done tonight. Gotta drive it tomorrow!

AUSRA15 01-20-2014 05:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Amps wired.

Attachment 34588

Attachment 34589

AUSRA15 01-20-2014 09:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally done.. will end up moving sub to one side and securing it somehow. Sounds very good. Next item on the list is a new headunit and either a dsp or a nice equalizer.

Attachment 34595

Attachment 34596

brentwoodkris 01-21-2014 01:16 PM

I have a 12" Alpine Type-R in a sealed enclosure in my WK. Similar to your setup, but a few years older, I have a RF Prime R1000-1D running my sub with the RF 4ga wiring kit providing power/ground. I didn't bother with sound deadening material and I'm glad I didn't as there isn't much to rattle in the back of the Jeep.

My monoblock amp was able to fit in the cargo tray without modifications (I made sure the dimensions were perfect - main reason for choosing this amp) and it's had zero cooling issues even running the amp constantly for 10+ hr road trips. I secured my sealed 12" box to the back of my rear seat bank by adding a S-hook and O-hook combination to secure it to the rear hook-rod on the back of the seat. It's not going anywhere, but is still able to be easily removed/disconnected if I need the room.

Additionally, if you like to put junk in your cargo space, I'd strongly consider adding a grille to your sub box to protect your sub/surround and keep her in good shape. Hard to predict stuff shifting in the back when you're in the front driving.

If you want pics of my setup, let me know and I'll snap a few pics and link to them on here.

AUSRA15 01-21-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentwoodkris (Post 963143)
I have a 12" Alpine Type-R in a sealed enclosure in my WK. Similar to your setup, but a few years older, I have a RF Prime R1000-1D running my sub with the RF 4ga wiring kit providing power/ground. I didn't bother with sound deadening material and I'm glad I didn't as there isn't much to rattle in the back of the Jeep.

My monoblock amp was able to fit in the cargo tray without modifications (I made sure the dimensions were perfect - main reason for choosing this amp) and it's had zero cooling issues even running the amp constantly for 10+ hr road trips. I secured my sealed 12" box to the back of my rear seat bank by adding a S-hook and O-hook combination to secure it to the rear hook-rod on the back of the seat. It's not going anywhere, but is still able to be easily removed/disconnected if I need the room.

Additionally, if you like to put junk in your cargo space, I'd strongly consider adding a grille to your sub box to protect your sub/surround and keep her in good shape. Hard to predict stuff shifting in the back when you're in the front driving.

If you want pics of my setup, let me know and I'll snap a few pics and link to them on here.

Thanks for the input man. The sound deadener I am using to kill the drone from the exhaust. I installed a flowmaster muffler and it drones like hell at 62-67mph. There really are no rattles in the jeep that I can hear. My sunglass holder rattles in the overhead console sometimes. If you could link some pictures of your setup that would be great, I'd like to see how you secured your sub.
Also I cut the cargo floor out so the amps could be mounted securely to the floor of the jeep and I can take the rear subfloor out without disconnecting the amps. I never used that little storage compartment anyway. It's pretty loud, I'm surprised with the P3. I'm overpowering it by 200 watts rms but it should be fine.

hound 01-24-2014 11:41 PM

How well did the sound deadner work on killing the drone? I have the Gibson CAT back setup and while I love it around town, it is rather loud on highway trips.

This summer I was home on RR (I work overseas) and threw in a JL Stealthbox. Install was easy and it is plenty loud. I also have the Kicker amp and speaker upgrade so overall, I am happy with the sound and it didn't break the bank.

I have used sound deadner on the doors and where I could in the back. I didn't have much time while I was home but want to eventually stip the interior and follow the methods used here: Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown

In my previous 98 5.9L, I stripped the interior and did spray in sound deadner. I really worked well but the install was quite involved. Here is a link to that Jeep: hound2000's 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee in Logan, UT

I just noticed Cardomain changed their website layout. Kind of crappy now, but the pics I am talking about are in the 98 and not the 94.

AUSRA15 01-24-2014 11:45 PM

I used some cheap stuff from amazon called GTMat. It was 100 bucks for 50 sq ft of 80 mil. It mad a noticeable difference. My wife complained while riding on long trips around 60-68 mph and now she is happy. Lol but I took the whole interior apart. The only thing I left in was the headliner, dash, and the rear seat backs because they didn't need to come out.

AUSRA15 01-27-2014 01:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Dynamat in the doors

Attachment 34907

Attachment 34908