Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

HEMI randomly dies

Tags
hemi
3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  5.7summit 
#1 ·
This has no happened to me TWICE!!! 69,xxx miles, consistanly regular PM has been done on everything...

I was getting off the freeway onto the exit ramp and half way through the turn, THE D@MN MOTOR CUTS OUT!!! no power steering no power brakes... the other time it happened was getting onto the entrance ramp. both at maybe 30 mph. No check engine light, no 'message' on the computer. FRESH batteries in my key fob (had them in for about a month now) Has this happened to anyone else??? i am getting ready to take the bush button off so i can stick my keys in the ignition like a normal vehicle. This is rediculous and could be down right dangerous.

#2 ·
This might be a really stupid question and please don't be insulted, but in my older jeeps, when I let the gas run down to mere vapors, and get on and off an on-ramp or going up or down hills, the sudden movement would cause the remaining gas to slosh around and the engine would die bc of the lack of fuel.

any chance of that being the issue?

#3 ·
This has no happened to me TWICE!!! 69,xxx miles, consistanly regular PM has been done on everything... I was getting off the freeway onto the exit ramp and half way through the turn, THE D@MN MOTOR CUTS OUT!!! no power steering no power brakes... the other time it happened was getting onto the entrance ramp. both at maybe 30 mph. No check engine light, no 'message' on the computer. FRESH batteries in my key fob (had them in for about a month now) Has this happened to anyone else??? i am getting ready to take the bush button off so i can stick my keys in the ignition like a normal vehicle. This is rediculous and could be down right dangerous.
This happened to me on my old Jeep, just like yours .....twice. My suggestion would be take it to your dealer as soon as possible so they check it out. Don't ask me the technical term but it was a computer chip that had to be replaced. Don't do like me & wait too long because the Jeep wouldn't start back up the third time it died. Good luck too you.

#4 ·
gas tank is over 3/4 full.

I took it in after the first time it did it and they said that without a code being thrown they cannot diagnose anything. i guess if it does happen a third time and it wont start, i can bet they will have something to diagnose then! I will make sure that when i go in to bet my oil changed, my blower motor checked out, i will make sure that they document that i have mentioned that this has happened before... (both in below freezing temps too)...

#5 ·
Assuming you have one, use your 2nd key fob for a while and see if it still happens. If it does, you have a problem in the vehicle, if not, you have a faulty key fob.

#10 ·
huh, never thought about that... duh.. will have to check that out today... but i also live down a dirt road, so it seems like it would have done it as well while being bounced around over the potholes...

but doesnt hurt to check... (out of sight, out of mind) ugh.

#9 ·
but what happens to your jeep when it is running and the FOB leaves the vehicle and you hit the accelerator??? the engine stalls out... so if the FOB is faulty and momentarily 'disconnects' if you will, and you step on the accelerator, the engine cuts off... This is my take on the situation. very possible, I am just wanting to know if this has happened to anyone else and if they did get it fixed/what their shop found out the cause was. Thank you for all the reply's.

#17 ·
I've had it happen several times, mainly during the winter months and it always occurs when slowing down or coming to a stop after several minutes of a continuous run. Pretty scary when going through an intersection! Lol
RIGHT!!! the last time it happened to me was on an exit ramp with a pretty sharp turn. Try stopping and turning a 2.5 Ton vehicle with no power steering or power brakes.

However, the first time was just getting onto an entance ramp (again right before a turn, almost curbed it). leading up to this was all backroads, maybe only a mile or two of consistant speed.

I have been the same, both during winter months...

#19 ·
Sorry I didn't see you had such an old Jeep a 2011 might be different. I can leave my key inside my house and drive around all day as long as I never shut it off. It just beeps at me -- a bunch. I tested it today drove around the neighborhood no key just fine. So, idk about your jeep but mine will not shut off without a key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.