Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export & Diesel Powered Jeep Models (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/)
-   -   Hard start when cold (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f79/hard-start-when-cold-70521.html)

Badmandiesel 01-17-2014 07:14 PM

I have tested the glow plugs they were .8 ohms, so I think tells me they are good. Voltage to them confuses me. I see battery voltage but it did not drop after a few seconds. The check engine light has been on since I purchased the jeep, autozone said it was the maf sensor. Cleared by there code reader, key on it came right back not even stated and said maf, ok I"ll live with that. Now we are cold here 20 *f it won't start if allowed to get cold, plugged and a battery charger on it in it takes several tries. Any other ideas other than the glow control module? Right now it is stuck at my work.

Frango100 02-17-2014 06:40 AM

Re: Hard start when cold

Welcome to the garage.
Not that much experience on diesel engines, but some googling learned that a faulty MAF sensor can cause hard start problems. Since this code is there, i would start by replacing the MAF sensor first.

paul4314 02-18-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badmandiesel (Post 961413)
I have tested the glow plugs they were .8 ohms, so I think tells me they are good. Voltage to them confuses me. I see battery voltage but it did not drop after a few seconds. The check engine light has been on since I purchased the jeep, autozone said it was the maf sensor. Cleared by there code reader, key on it came right back not even stated and said maf, ok I"ll live with that. Now we are cold here 20 *f it won't start if allowed to get cold, plugged and a battery charger on it in it takes several tries. Any other ideas other than the glow control module? Right now it is stuck at my work.

if this is a crd diesel engine check the injectors or leak back u need a leak back test kit for this as the injectors wear and allow to much diesel to retune to the tank and not hold fuel rail pressure
and causes hard start
this is very common a a 2.7 crd im not to sure about the 3.0 crd engine weather they suffer the same problem
with injector failure

Bora Boy 05-04-2014 07:46 AM

Take the MAF out and get some Electrical grade or pure Alcohol (not rubbing) place it in a zip-lock bag and shake. I do this every couple of years on all my turbo cars as the MAF can get clogged with oïl blow-back. Saved my $$$$ on two cars and if it does not work it will just cost you $15.00 or so in Alcohol.

Ranger1 06-01-2014 04:26 PM

Suggest you invest in an OBD code reader, something like one of the Innova models. Trying to troubleshoot it without a code reader is going to be time intensive and frustrating, especially in the cold when it won't start reliably.

There is more than 1 OBD code for the MAF sensor, one for open in the wiring, one for shorted wiring, and likely a couple for out of range/performance of the MAF sensor itself. Without knowing which one, it's a crap shoot to troubleshoot online.

Once you can pull all of the codes at your convenience, you can then share the exact P numbers and start from there.

Good luck.