Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Changing Brake Pads

12K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  Jester86 
#1 ·
My brothers 2002 Grand Cherokee needs its front brake pads changed. I'v done this many times on cars but never on a jeep. Anything i should look out for or do while doing the brakes? Is there a write up online somewhere?

TIA

#2 ·
shouldnt be a problem, just like every other brake job.....

one thing I can suggest before you change pads is to feel for any vibration while braking, warping of rotors are common on the WJ prior to the Akebono calipers. No point changing pads if the rotors are bad.

I did my brakes and replaced all rotors over a year ago, and no problems still.

#3 ·
Yeah ^

I replaced just the pads last year and the pad on the right was worn down so fast it was ridiculous.. my rotor was warped as well, but I thought I could wait a little while to replace that. Guess not.

#4 ·
Yeah, at least get the rotors resurfaced if not replaced. They are really easy to do once you get the caliper bracket removed.

New rotors are not all that expensive so I always just replace them.

Be sure to clean all the rust away from the hub before putting the new rotors on.

#5 ·
i too also had a problem with my 02 WJ, my front two rotors were warped so i just replaced them and there all good now

#6 ·
the pads may be a lil PITA to get on or off mine where and i changed them a year prior to just changing them out again. I have no ordered a whole new set or slotted rototrs and Hawk hps pads hope this fixes my brakes warping warpped my chepo ebay rotors in 3 months tops. They have been on the jeep for the last 10 months warpped like a cracked egg..

if your pads are a bit harder to get of and on just clean the shims up that they sit in and use brake lube where everythey slide pins and all.

Joe

#7 · (Edited)
I did one side today, what a PITA, the lug nuts, and all the caliper bolts were seized, i mean rock solid, luckily PB blaster is the greatest and can loosen any seized bolt. Anyways the brakes havent been the greatest since my brother bought it a little less than a year ago but they were good enough. Let me just say i have never seen anything like this before, there was ONE brake pad on the front driver side, ONE. The outer pad had some life left but when i went to remove the inner pad i realized there was no pad. The pistons had been pressing flush against the rotors. There is no way the pad could have fallen off and i can only assume the PO when he had the brakes done only put one pad in. I had a fun time trying to compress the pistons back in so i can imagine the PO didnt want to deal with it and decided it was alright to put one pad in. Here's some pictures of the carnage. Luckily the pistons still work and havent cracked, they're just slightly melted :D

#26 ·
I did one side today, what a PITA, the lug nuts, and all the caliper bolts were seized, i mean rock solid, luckily PB blaster is the greatest and can loosen any seized bolt. Anyways the brakes havent been the greatest since my brother bought it a little less than a year ago but they were good enough. Let me just say i have never seen anything like this before, there was ONE brake pad on the front driver side, ONE. The outer pad had some life left but when i went to remove the inner pad i realized there was no pad. The pistons had been pressing flush against the rotors. There is no way the pad could have fallen off and i can only assume the PO when he had the brakes done only put one pad in. I had a fun time trying to compress the pistons back in so i can imagine the PO didnt want to deal with it and decided it was alright to put one pad in. Here's some pictures of the carnage. Luckily the pistons still work and havent cracked, they're just slightly melted :D
what is a PB blaster?

#13 · (Edited)
I must say in over 35 years of working on my own cars, I have never seen that before.

What would make someone even think that they could only put one pad on. What an idiot!

They are out there, and they vote!

#29 ·
lol for not knowing what PB blaster is. Its a spray, like liquid wrench or WD-40 just better. If i ever have any bolts that need to be removed, i spray them down with pb blaster. Most of the time i like to let it sit over night but 15-30 min works good enough. If you're ever messing with exhaust bolts, or suspension bolts always spray them down with PB blaster, you will be much happier

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.