Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Tune up - 5.7L Hemi (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/tune-up-5-7l-hemi-70603.html)

gavin 01-19-2014 11:00 PM

Tune up - 5.7L Hemi

Alright peeps!
I'm contemplating a full tune up on my 08 WK Hemi.... Been getting about 13 mpg. I do have a heavy foot but it isn't that heavy! So I'm going all out! EGR, PCV, MAP, IAT, fluids, plugs etc and I have been doing my research on this site but I've not been able to find a proper all in one maintenance thread for the Hemi. What should I use...OEM OE etc... When is it worth buying from Mopar? What should I buy from Rockauto? Reasons? Add part numbers, DIY links etc if you want, it'll help me and others.

Spark Plugs:-
Which should I use -
Mopar $$$
NGK 5306 $$
Champion 570 $

PCV:-
OEM Or Aftermarket
Mopar#53032940AA

EGR VALVE:-
OEM Or Aftermarket
Mopar# 53032509AM

MAP Sensor:-
OEM Or Aftermarket
Mopar# not sure

IAT probe:-
I'm going to go with the challenger IAT
Mopar# 05149279AB

As for transmission, diff fluids...any suggestions? Synthetic or regular?

Automatic Transmission Fluid ONLY use ATF+4.

Transfercase ONLY use NV245 fluid (mopar)

Differentials - synthetic 75w140, make sure to add some mopar LSD additive to each diff.

Any thoughts, ideas or constructive criticism will be appreciated.
Thanks

2005JGC 01-19-2014 11:18 PM

Re: Tune up - 5.7L Hemi

ATF ONLY use ATF+4.

Diffs I like synthetic 75w140, for you make sure to add some mopar LSD additive to each diff.

13 city is not uncommon so be careful throwing 500 dollars at your rig expecting a noticeable increase because my bet is that you will hardly notice ANY increase. Stay out of the skinny pedal, wait for better summer fuel and you will be set... Having said that maintenance is NEVER a bad idea.

2005JGC 01-19-2014 11:20 PM

Especially on the hemi use mopar specified plugs, you can get the exact part number off the emissions label under the hood, take that to a parts store and it will cross it to the OE equivalent, off the top of my head I want to say they are the champion plugs but be sure to get the right part number, don't try to get all fancy and quadruple platinum or anything like that, they don't like em!

gavin 01-19-2014 11:47 PM

Thanks 2005JGC... WKjeeps has the Champions 570 as OEMs but was reading through the forums and people say the Mopar Champions are different from the champions on the open market...now i understand the difference with using copper core vs the fancy ones...but really is there any weight in using the Mopar branded vs reg champions copper cores? also same with the valves and the sensors....any reason why i should spend more for a mopar brand vs an OE equiv? I have never though twice about buying from rockauto.com vs my local parts guy (strangely enough named Rock Auto Parts) in the past...but going through theses forums are making me doubt my self.
Thanks for the input

gavin 01-19-2014 11:51 PM

I'm going to edit the original post as people advise me..

YjagetaJeep 01-20-2014 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 962397)
ATF ONLY use ATF+4.

Diffs I like synthetic 75w140, for you make sure to add some mopar LSD additive to each diff.

13 city is not uncommon so be careful throwing 500 dollars at your rig expecting a noticeable increase because my bet is that you will hardly notice ANY increase. Stay out of the skinny pedal, wait for better summer fuel and you will be set... Having said that maintenance is NEVER a bad idea.

I would actually be HAPPY with 13 mpg on my '13 Overland....yeah, I have a few mods but every one of them said I might actually see an improvement. But anyway, a tune after six years is probably a good idea...

brentwoodkris 01-20-2014 01:08 PM

Go on eBay or J4J (they only sometimes have it listed) and look for the MOPAR HEMI 60k mile maintenance/tune-up kit. It's a dealer part and saves a bunch of $$ to buy. It can be had for ~$90 on eBay shipped, and includes OEM air filter, 16 OEM Champion plugs, OEM oil filter, OEM serpentine belt, and OEM PCV valve. It's also nice to get it all in one package. I have no use for the air filters, as I have a K&N drop-in, but it never hurts to have spares. I used the kit at 85k, and am about to order another for my maintenance at 115k (those copper champions only last 30k).

ChrisWk 02-18-2014 11:52 PM

If you getting 13 mpg around town this good .

hound 02-20-2014 04:35 AM

Is this the same Gavin that used to live in Logan?

JeepMike 04-10-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentwoodkris (Post 962636)
Go on eBay or J4J (they only sometimes have it listed) and look for the MOPAR HEMI 60k mile maintenance/tune-up kit. It's a dealer part and saves a bunch of $$ to buy. It can be had for ~$90 on eBay shipped, and includes OEM air filter, 16 OEM Champion plugs, OEM oil filter, OEM serpentine belt, and OEM PCV valve. It's also nice to get it all in one package. I have no use for the air filters, as I have a K&N drop-in, but it never hurts to have spares. I used the kit at 85k, and am about to order another for my maintenance at 115k (those copper champions only last 30k).

Just ordered mine. THANKS for the heads up on the kit!!!

brentwoodkris 04-10-2014 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMike (Post 1005983)
Just ordered mine. THANKS for the heads up on the kit!!!

No problem! Installed mine a couple weeks ago and now the WK is running like a champ again. You might also consider changing the MAP sensor (pretty easy). Between those maintenance items, I gained back 1.5mpg on the highway avg. :thumbsup:

dmsfun 04-15-2014 08:03 AM

If you are at regular 30k interval with plugs, you won't notice any difference in mpg or performance. If you do not have a catch can, and have 60k or more, clean the throttle body as it will be very gunked up. I gained back nearly 2 mpg hwy with much improved throttle response from cleaning the TB. (reset the ECU after cleaning) PCV, MAP, EGR....did all those and saw very minor improvements if any, but good to do them for preventative maint.
If you have the hemi tick, do the seafoam treatment; 1/2 can in the oil about 100 miles before changing it, and also in the fuel. This will free up the sticking MDS lifters which get gunked up, clean the injectors, and improve mpg and throttle response. I tried the famous name injector cleaners many times in the hemi and they did nothing that I could tell, while seafoam really helped.