Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/)
-   -   Full diesel filter, electronic throttle control warning & engine malfunction warning (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/full-diesel-filter-electronic-throttle-control-warning-and-engine-malfunction-warning-70609.html)

mbro 01-19-2014 11:35 PM

Full diesel filter, electronic throttle control warning & engine malfunction warning

I have recently purchased an MY14 WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has less than 1300km on the odometer. Today a message and a number of warning lights were activated when driving approx. 5km across town. The message on the EVIC stated that the diesel filter was nearly full and to safely drive at highway speeds to clear the problem. The electronic throttle control (ETC) light on the EVIC then started flashing and the engine malfunction light came on. The vehicle then went into limp mode. Jeep Assist has since had the vehicle transported to a dealer to be sorted. I will say that Jeep Assist (Australia) were very helpful. Is this a known or common problem and is it easily fixed?

mbro

suzieque 01-20-2014 11:20 AM

Re: Full diesel filter, electronic throttle control warning & engine malfunction warn

I'm guessing that a full filter message means the filter is full of water, at least that is how the mercedes CRD operates. The Water-In-Filter (WIF) will light up once the filter is full of water. In your case, it may just be a defective WIF sensor or the filter could actually be full of water if your source of diesel fuel had lots of water in it.

Grandmaster 01-20-2014 12:15 PM

Re: Full diesel filter, electronic throttle control warning & engine malfunction warn

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 962580)
I'm guessing that a full filter message means the filter is full of water, at least that is how the mercedes CRD operates. The Water-In-Filter (WIF) will light up once the filter is full of water. In your case, it may just be a defective WIF sensor or the filter could actually be full of water if your source of diesel fuel had lots of water in it.

I think since it said to drive at highway speeds to clear it, I bet it was the DPF that was clogged.

mbro 01-23-2014 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbro (Post 962411)
I have recently purchased an MY14 WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has less than 1300km on the odometer. Today a message and a number of warning lights were activated when driving approx. 5km across town. The message on the EVIC stated that the diesel filter was nearly full and to safely drive at highway speeds to clear the problem. The electronic throttle control (ETC) light on the EVIC then started flashing and the engine malfunction light came on. The vehicle then went into limp mode. Jeep Assist has since had the vehicle transported to a dealer to be sorted. I will say that Jeep Assist (Australia) were very helpful. Is this a known or common problem and is it easily fixed?

mbro

I received my Jeep back from Jeep service. They say that the problem is caused by low quality diesel and they are finding it is an Aust. wide problem. They also said that should only use the best quality diesel which appears to be, from internet searches, BP Ulimate diesel as a first choice then Caltex Vortex diesel.

savvas 01-30-2014 04:55 PM

Hi all,

I'm finding my 2012 WK2 CRD lately appears to be down on power when running on Vortex diesel. It runs well on BP Ultimate diesel, but the drop when going to Vortex is quite noticeable.

I have always run it on Vortex since new, and noticed the slide in performance around October. I tried BP Ultimate when it became available locally and the difference is significant.

Has anyone noticed a deterioration in Vortex diesel quality in Sydney over the last couple of months?