Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Trade In - 14 JCG 6-Cyl for Diesel? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/trade-in-14-jcg-6-cyl-for-diesel-70640.html)

doofoo 01-20-2014 06:38 PM

Trade In - 14 JCG 6-Cyl for Diesel?

Has anyone seen any trade numbers on 2014 JCG's?

I'm thinking about trading in my 14' JGC Limited 4x4 (ORA-II, RA4 (Nav) w/ Sunroof) that has around 13k for a 14' JCG Limited 4x4 Diesel (ORA-II, RA4 (Nav) w/ Sunroof).

I'm extremely happy with the truck, but I'd love to have the Diesel for a little extra grunt when towing my RV.

Has anyone else traded their trucks in recently to have any idea on pricing? KBB and Autotrader do not seem to have values for 14's yet. :(

Bostondan77 01-20-2014 08:52 PM

Re: Trade In - 14 JCG 6-Cyl for Diesel?

Depending on what you got it for you probably will take a hit, even still they may try to make money on the deal no matter what. Good luck!

TurboRush 01-20-2014 09:13 PM

Not going to lie, I have the hemi but I've thought about dropping it for the diesel. I wanted the diesel originally but just didn't want to wait anymore, cost benefit just isn't there at this point. Although if I really cared about that I wouldn't have had a 2010 I traded in for a 2011 which I traded in for a 2014 after 2 years.

doofoo 01-20-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostondan77 (Post 962831)
Depending on what you got it for you probably will take a hit, even still they may try to make money on the deal no matter what. Good luck!

Picked up the truck in the DC Metro group buy. I think it was 7% below invoice. Picked it up on 2/13, so I've had it almost a year now. As long as the trade is -decent- I think it would be doable.

I'm really happy with the truck either way, enough to basically trade it in for the same model year with the same options except the diesel engine. :)

If it doesn't work out, I still have the truck I'm already happy with.

Rexlion 01-20-2014 10:05 PM

Go get a trade-in quote. Put an ad on Craigslist and ask for a couple thousand more than the trade-in. After it sells, buy your diesel. (If no other vehicle to drive, you may have to rent one for a week or two, no big deal.)

Aeroguy 01-20-2014 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexlion (Post 962862)
Go get a trade-in quote. Put an ad on Craigslist and ask for a couple thousand more than the trade-in. After it sells, buy your diesel. (If no other vehicle to drive, you may have to rent one for a week or two, no big deal.)

I suppose that makes sense IF you live in a no sales tax state or you get significantly higher a price than the trade in value. Let's assume the trade in quote is 38K and he sells it for 40K. Now he takes the 40K and drops it on the Diesel @ 48K... and pays tax on the whole 48K. Assume 7% sales tax and you pay $3,360 in tax.

If you trade in, you only pay tax on the difference. It would be 48K - 38K which would be tax on 10K ($700).

Trade in you pay 10,700 difference including tax. Sell yourself, you pay $11,360 difference including tax.

Rexlion 01-20-2014 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeroguy (Post 962896)
I suppose that makes sense IF you live in a no sales tax state or you get significantly higher a price than the trade in value. Let's assume the trade in quote is 38K and he sells it for 40K. Now he takes the 40K and drops it on the Diesel @ 48K... and pays tax on the whole 48K. Assume 7% sales tax and you pay $3,360 in tax.

If you trade in, you only pay tax on the difference. It would be 48K - 38K which would be tax on 10K ($700).

Trade in you pay 10,700 difference including tax. Sell yourself, you pay $11,360 difference including tax.

Ah, I see. I didn't think of that, because in our state they would tax the vehicle the same without regard to whether a trade-in was made or not. They tax according to a book value of the new vehicle. Indeed, YMMV state by state.

Tony407 01-21-2014 01:46 AM

I'd try hitting up a few dealerships at the very end of this month and hope that one of them is hurting to make a last-minute deal and make a much-needed sale.

Tony

YjagetaJeep 01-21-2014 02:08 AM

It's going to be a tricky negotiation. They'll know you must be pretty hot for the diesel or else you wouldn't be wanting to trade in a 2014. You somehow gotta make them think that they can sell you a diesel...get a good deal, and then work on the trade.

doofoo 01-21-2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YjagetaJeep (Post 962961)
It's going to be a tricky negotiation. They'll know you must be pretty hot for the diesel or else you wouldn't be wanting to trade in a 2014. You somehow gotta make them think that they can sell you a diesel...get a good deal, and then work on the trade.

Yeah around here the best deal is the DC Metro 7% below invoice group buy.

Honestly if the dealers don't want to work with me on the trade, I don't really care if it doesn't work out. I'm happy with the V6 as it is, so it's all good. :)

I'll get a quote from Carmax, the DC Metro group buy dealer on trade then work my way around if it doesn't work out.

I'll follow up here once I get a chance to get some quotes on trade.

** Edit - The trade/tax thing is something I've been thinking about as well. I'm in MD where this was in place when I purchased my 14 - I think it's still in place and makes a pretty big difference when we're talking 40k+ on a new purchase.

crabman 01-21-2014 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeroguy (Post 962896)

In many states you can still get this with a private sale but you need to fill out some additional paperwork. Dealers try and tell you that it cant be done because they use the difference as a tool to pay you less since they know they only need to make an offer up to the sales tax hit and most people will then bite to avoid the hassle of selling it themselves. If this is the case you are far better off selling it yourself since you will get full value in the sale instead of the thousands less a dealer gives on trade and also pay less in taxes since that full higher value can be applied to the car and reduce the sales tax hit that much more. Win win.

HaydenHunter 01-22-2014 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabman (Post 963436)
In many states you can still get this with a private sale but you need to fill out some additional paperwork.

If this is the case I would definitely sell privately before buying your new vehicle. You're gonna get way more money for your car.