Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Cherokee-KL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/)
-   -   EVIC message - 4WD not available transmission overheated (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/evic-message-4wd-not-available-transmission-overheated-70650.html)

grandriver125 01-20-2014 10:36 PM

EVIC message - 4WD not available transmission overheated
 
"4wc not available, transmission overheated"

Today we got this message twice. Transmission temperature was only 158 def F. When stopped shortly after the first message, I tried to move the mode selection through snow, mud, etc and it again said no can do as transmission too hot.

Hard to believe. Anyone else have the problem or anyone from Jeep on the forum aware of it.

GR

ChadRizor 01-21-2014 08:10 PM

Wow that doesn't sound like fun! Are you taking it to the dealer for them to look into?

grandriver125 01-21-2014 08:13 PM

Re: EVIC message - 4WD not available transmission overheated
 
Not sure what to do at this point. I'm over a 1000 miles from home.

It happened again today - ambient temp was 72 and transmission temp was 158.

I'm going to call my dealer's service manager and see if he can check with Jeep to determine if this is a software problem or a real transmission problem.

GR

fnkychkn 01-21-2014 09:49 PM

Re: EVIC message - 4WD not available transmission overheated
 
you sure it didn't say transfer case overheated?

grandriver125 01-21-2014 10:13 PM

Re: EVIC message - 4WD not available transmission overheated
 
Transfer case not mentioned. Just stated "transmission".

GR

NHPATRIOT 01-22-2014 08:22 AM

Re: EVIC message - 4WD not available transmission overheated
 
Go to/call the nearest dealer and tell them you are on a trip. If they are any good they will get you right in and find out what is wrong. That is what we always did in that situation. Your warranty is good at any dealer not just the purchasing one. Could be nothing or could be something serious. Best to find out ASAP so you don't wind up with a blown trans that far from home when it could have been avoided.

grandriver125 01-23-2014 01:31 PM

Re: EVIC message - 4WD not available transmission overheated
 
Talked to Service Manager back home. From what he could find this warning comes on when the transmission fluid temperature increases 10 deg in one second. It appears there is no temperature sensor on the transfer case so it is referring to the transmission.

The Cherokee won't move until tomorrow and then it will be an 18 mile trip - most on I-75 and return. If the message appears again it goes into the dealer sooner than I planned for a code read and hopefully diagnosis.

10 deg in one second is not a small change based on my experience with a ScanGauge and the transmission fluid in several motorhomes - as well as our former Escape that was towed behind our motorhome. We will not be heading back north until the end of Feb.

loveracing1988 01-28-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandriver125 (Post 964275)
Talked to Service Manager back home. From what he could find this warning comes on when the transmission fluid temperature increases 10 deg in one second. It appears there is no temperature sensor on the transfer case so it is referring to the transmission.

The Cherokee won't move until tomorrow and then it will be an 18 mile trip - most on I-75 and return. If the message appears again it goes into the dealer sooner than I planned for a code read and hopefully diagnosis.

10 deg in one second is not a small change based on my experience with a ScanGauge and the transmission fluid in several motorhomes - as well as our former Escape that was towed behind our motorhome. We will not be heading back north until the end of Feb.

The only temp sensors are in the actuators for the ptu and rdm, but those wouldn't overheat near that quickly.

grandriver125 01-28-2014 11:00 PM

Re: EVIC message - 4WD not available transmission overheated
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by loveracing1988 (Post 967092)
The only temp sensors are in the actuators for the ptu and rdm, but those wouldn't overheat near that quickly.

Got the notice again this afternoon. Transmission temp said 122 degrees. Pulled over and found 4WD would engage with no problems. I'm getting the feeling it is a faulty sensor.

Going to take it to the local dealer and have them check the codes stored.

GR

grandriver125 02-12-2014 06:31 PM

Re: EVIC message - 4WD not available transmission overheated
 
Called Jeep US and they agreed it should go into the dealer in Bradenton for a code read to see if they can determine the problem. It goes in Friday morning. They wanted it in early in case whatever they have to do takes the whole day (hard to imagine).

Today the warning flashed again and when I reached a traffic light I was able to put it into 4WD Snow (but set it back to auto and didn't drive in the snow in FLA :). Then a few miles later it flashed the notice again and at the next light it would not go into 4WD. This continued off and on all the way home.

I'll report back Friday on what they find.

GR

grandriver125 02-14-2014 01:31 PM

Re: EVIC message - 4WD not available transmission overheated
 
Took it into the dealer in Bradenton. The only thing they could find was an old code indicating the clutch in the transfer case overheated. They could not find anything else so there was nothing they could do as they could not replicate the issue.

If I'm out during the hours they are open and the message is displayed they agreed I could drive right to their service dept and then they can see it live (if it lasts that long - which has not been the case).

Just hope we don't have problems on the way back home in a couple of weeks. Will return with the T&C since "she who must be obeyed" needs a lot of room for the "stuff" she brings to Florida.

GR

loveracing1988 02-14-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandriver125 (Post 975876)
Took it into the dealer in Bradenton. The only thing they could find was an old code indicating the clutch in the transfer case overheated. They could not find anything else so there was nothing they could do as they could not replicate the issue.

If I'm out during the hours they are open and the message is displayed they agreed I could drive right to their service dept and then they can see it live (if it lasts that long - which has not been the case).

Just hope we don't have problems on the way back home in a couple of weeks. Will return with the T&C since "she who must be obeyed" needs a lot of room for the "stuff" she brings to Florida.

GR

Either they lied to you or were mistaken. There is no clutch in the ptu. There is a clutch in the rdm though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community