Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Help with Replacing Speakers (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/help-with-replacing-speakers-70658.html)

MoparKing 01-21-2014 01:07 AM

Help with Replacing Speakers

Hey everyone, Im clueless about car audio so bear with me.

I have the 6 Speaker System in my Laredo with the base 130 res radio without an amplifier, and I'm looking to upgrade.

Can I put Jbl Gto 938 6x9 speakers in my front doors without a problem (fitment)?
Also, can I put Jbl Gto 638 6.5 inch Speakers in my rear doors?

What problems will I run into? Are these speakers any good? (i don't want to break the bank) And what amp should I use to power these speakers? And where should I mount the amp?

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

exlr8 01-21-2014 02:25 AM

Take a look at this thread...

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/upgra...ers-67908.html

Essentially you want to look for component speakers for the front, not coaxials. Coax in the back doors is fine.

Haven't done the amp yet but under the back seat appears to be the consensus.

My personal opinion for people that want an amp and are on a budget is to first splurge on some front components (see HAT, Focal) then work on choosing that amp when you are comfortable spending more. Rear speakers are not as important unless you sit back there.

A reasonably nice 5ch amp like an Alpine PDX V9 should serve you well for years and give you the option of adding a sub later.

MoparKing 01-21-2014 02:58 AM

Re: Help with Replacing Speakers

Thanks for the response I appreciate the help.

Do you think JBL P660c 6.5" Component Speakers would be a good option for the front doors?
P660C 6 1/2"" (160mm) 2-way component system:Amazon:Car Electronics

and the mentioned JBL GTO 638 6.5" Coaxials for the rear doors?
JBL GTO638 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speakers (Pair):Amazon:Car Electronics

exlr8 01-21-2014 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoparKing (Post 962989)
Thanks for the response I appreciate the help.

Do you think JBL P660c 6.5" Component Speakers would be a good option for the front doors?
P660C 6 1/2"" (160mm) 2-way component system:Amazon:Car Electronics

and the mentioned JBL GTO 638 6.5" Coaxials for the rear doors?
JBL GTO638 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speakers (Pair):Amazon:Car Electronics

They should work, the specs look right for the application. The only thing you need to investigate is the front interior door trim clearance with the required adapter.

1stJeepGC 01-21-2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoparKing (Post 962947)

And what amp should I use to power these speakers? And where should I mount the amp?

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Greetings,

For the JGC, it best to select a Class D amp. This type of amp is more efficient with dealing with the electrical output from the alternator, they draw less current. Today's multi channel and mono Class D car amps will produce clean sounds. Look at Crutchfield car amp sections for examples and prices.

Car Amplifiers at Crutchfield.com

Best for now.:)

kkreit01 01-21-2014 09:56 AM

Your second choice looks much better. If you are adding an aftermarket amp to power your new speakers, spend more and get components up front. The JBL Power or MS series get pretty good reviews. Their EZ amps also are great. I'd go with a 4 or 5 channel amp -- so you can add a sub later. The rear speakers can remain off deck power.

MoparKing 01-23-2014 01:09 AM

Thanks for all the help guys!

I changed my mind about 3 way speakers for the rear doors, after a ton of researching ive found that it would sound better with 2 way speakers to work as "fillers" for the front component set.

I will be using JBL p662 Power Series 6 1/2" Speakers for the rear doors.
And JBL Gto 804EZ 4 Channel amp to power all the speakers.

Lastly, is there any Audio shop owners or Audio gurus around Nyc that could install everything for me? I also plan on getting One 12" JL Audio W3 Sub.

1stJeepGC 01-23-2014 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoparKing (Post 964067)

Lastly, is there any Audio shop owners or Audio gurus around Nyc that could install everything for me? I also plan on getting One 12" JL Audio W3 Sub.

Greetings,

In the downtown Brooklyn area is their is a very respectable shop that has been around for over 27+ years. Ask for Jr. or Benny.

Exotic Auto Boutique 718.625.4742

Best for now.:)